• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Wallabies world cup squad selection

Status
Not open for further replies.

BDA

Jim Lenehan (48)
Kepu, Alexandar, Slipper, Cowan, Daley
TPN, Moore, Fainga'a
Sharpe, Horwill, Vicks, Simo,
Elsom, Pocock, Higs, Palu, McCalman, Samo, Hodgson
Genia, Burgess
Cooper,
McCabe, Barnes, Fainga'a
AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper), Horne
Ioane, OConnor, Mitchell
Beale,

C

chief

I really would have gone for Giteau as the third half back option as opposed to picking Phipps. Very sad seeing his tweets, I haven't been a fan of him since 2007, but he was a remarkable player. At one stage he was one of the best in the world. We can't forget that.

I think Deans has to include Sharpe, Simmons, Vickerman and Horwill. We need to take 4 2nd rowers as I see this position so pivotal to our success, and we can't afford injuries. As to whoever he picks it will only lead to healthy competition, and from that he can pick on form. Because in those 4 names, there are 4 International Standard players.

Deans needs to take Samo. He has to leave Palu or McCalman behind. Samo has won trophies, McCalman and Palu haven't. We need some experience behind the inexperience. I think it would be criminal not picking Australia's best number 8 during Super Rugby.

I think Ant Fainga'a needs to be included after his strong performance against South Africa.

Nusadan

Chilla Wilson (44)
Speaking of 3rd half back, what's stopping Deans selecting only two, and call in Phipps during the RWC from across the ditch as a back up should an injury occur?

That way, he has more options to select another player in other backline position, or even have an extra forward?

Cutter

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
Fuck how much better does our 22 look with those guys in it.

Tatafu, Mitchell and Slipper all bench with Horne and Palu also bench options (or starting for that matter).

We actually have got it pretty good, with only one front line player ruled out of the WC (touch wood).

If only good looking 22s won world cups. Hard, match fit, fully fit, cohesive teams win World Cups. Australia has been burnt twice before taking injured players to a world cup - '95 and '07. I hope we aren't making the same mistake again.

mark_s

Chilla Wilson (44)
If only good looking 22s won world cups. Hard, match fit, fully fit, cohesive teams win World Cups. Australia has been burnt twice before taking injured players to a world cup - '95 and '07. I hope we aren't making the same mistake again.

I think we are. Add that onto the two other concerns I have - lack of consistency (when was the last time we won 3 hard games in a row, let alone won 6 games in a row - it was probably early 2000s) and lack of an +85% goal kicker (in test matches atleast) and I struggle to see us being successful in NZ.

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
as I did a few pages ago. But we would've known about such a selection previously right? Through the press?

This may have already been noted, but Link was publicly advancing BL's WC selection just a day or so ago, given his diversity of positions record, and his talent (which was on display during the Reds' season).

T

The_Riddler

SMH are reporting that Horwill will be named captain, massive. well deserved though.

Jnor

Peter Fenwicke (45)
According to ABC News24 they'll be showing the press conference

I assume Lucas has been training in the shadow squad?

And if Kev's got the (c) then I think it's a good move, and probably good for Rocky too. I guess we wait and see

EDIT: just went to air now, nice PR stunt by Alan Joyce too :puke:

C

chief

James Horwill captain.

Would have picked Genia though. Wonder how Rocky will take it.

Lance Free

Arch Winning (36)
Ben Alexander, Adam Ashley-Cooper, Berrick Barnes, Kurtley Beale, Luke Burgess, Quade Cooper, Rocky Elsom, Anthony Fainga'a, Saia Fainga'a, Will Genia, Scott Higginbotham, Rob Horne, James Horwill ( c ), Digby Ioane, Sekope Kepu, Salesi Ma’afu, Pat McCabe, Ben McCalman, Drew Mitchell, Stephen Moore, James O’Connor, Wycliff Palu, Nick Phipps, David Pocock, Tatafu Polota-Nau, Radike Samo, Nathan Sharpe, Rob Simmons, James Slipper, Dan Vickerman

WorkingClassRugger

Michael Lynagh (62)
James Horwill captain.

Would have picked Genia though. Wonder how Rocky will take it.

I always thought he'd be a good captain but to be honest it appeared to weigh on him a little too much and severely temper his game. Hopefully, this will now see the return of the Rocky we saw playing for Leinster.

Status
Not open for further replies.