• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Wallabies world cup squad selection

Status
Not open for further replies.

jollyswagman

Ron Walden (29)
Is everyone picking JOC (James O'Connor) at wing because you believe it's his best position or because you think that's what Mad Robbie will do?

I still can't believe he hasn't be tried there. We have a huge problem in the centres and we don't try the guy who plays awesome footy at 10/12. Obtuse.

Couldn't agree more with this comment. I think bring JOC (James O'Connor) infield one position will give him a little more room (ie: setting up McCabe try last weekend). Would love to see Mitchell fit again and playing outside JOC (James O'Connor). Would love to see Ant Finger at IC running off Cooper as I believe he understands Cooper a little better than Pat McCabe. Combinations are key and will hopefully help to lessen the drop balls and other errors we are seeing too often with the Wabs. Surely McCabe can be a super-sub along with Barnes. Sorry, but I think Two-Dads has earned a rest as he is still struggling to find top form. (Burgess / Barnes / McCabe on the bench moving forward toward RWC).

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
By the end of his career, Dunning actually turned into a decent prop. Not a world beater by any means, but he could hold a S15 scrum without too much difficulty.

Yes, but what we are talking about is propping at test level. Dunning was nowhere near good enough.

Reactions: daz

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) is the most shelfish player possibly running around in world rugby..

He can be a bit of a prawn.

Just getting into the humour of some posts on this thread and the Giteau thread.

Why are we so serious, and so polarised in our opinions when some differences of players are just at the margin?

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
Is everyone picking JOC (James O'Connor) at wing because you believe it's his best position or because you think that's what Mad Robbie will do?

I still can't believe he hasn't be tried there. We have a huge problem in the centres and we don't try the guy who plays awesome footy at 10/12. Obtuse.

The latter. I think he's a superstar in the making at 12, but Deans doesn't seem to want to play him there. I don't get it. Dwyer threw a 19 year old Horan in at 12 in his first test and it turned out moderately well.

L

Linus

As you saw in the try to McCabe, JOC (James O'Connor) is actually in 12/13 during the game, half the reason McCabe is first choice 12 at the moment is because he is just as comfortable on the wing or fullback, the other half is his defensive work. ...And the third half (!)is his straight running.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member

I think they see JOC (James O'Connor)'s kick return is considered more important at the moment

We all know that most try scoring opportunities are happening from turnovers especially from kicks.

12 right at the moment is primarily a defensive position with crash ball skills. They get to see Nonu, DeVilliers & SBW et al down the channel. JOC (James O'Connor) could do it, but how much would be left in the tank to do good things in attack.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
I have held the belief over the last 2-3 years that the NZ traditional 2 5/8 should be moved out to OC. Basically you have a second flyhalf with even more space to work with, and can use wingers wide, fullbacks tight and 12s inside. They will also have less big bodies running at them.

Beale and JOC (James O'Connor) have made the most impact in that channel over the last few games (not including turnover ball).

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)

I don't know if it will work with Quade at 10 because we know the direct 12 works well. If Barnes was called in to play 10 for some reason, JOC (James O'Connor) would work great outside him and inject that flair to oppose Barnes's conservative nature. I would love to see this combo tried in some of the pool matches.

H

high tower

Key players without a back up player

Beale
possible subs
- AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) already in current 15(played last 3 tri nations games) and in key position at 13
- JOC (James O'Connor) as above and Deans has earmarked him to back up Cooper
- Gerrard? Barnes(has Deans asked Uni to play him at 15)and Mitchell (if fit)

Pocock
- Hodgson is a good allrounder but massive step down from Pocock
- Beau Robinson ?

Beau Robinson and Mark Gerrard both dark horses to make the 30.

H

H...

I think JOC (James O'Connor)'s best position could be 13, to be honest. That in and away, drawing the last man to put his winger in space (on Saturday) was the best traditional OC work I've seen in a long time from a Wallaby 13, and that includes Mortlock.

I

IamRed

Key players without a back up player

Beale
possible subs
- AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) already in current 15(played last 3 tri nations games) and in key position at 13
- JOC (James O'Connor) as above and Deans has earmarked him to back up Cooper
- Gerrard? Barnes(has Deans asked Uni to play him at 15)and Mitchell (if fit)

Pocock
- Hodgson is a good allrounder but massive step down from Pocock
- Beau Robinson ?

Beau Robinson and Mark Gerrard both dark horses to make the 30.

Don't forget McCabe at 15 with Fainga'a in the squad you can afford to move him back in an emergency.

H

high tower

Don't forget McCabe at 15 with Fainga'a in the squad you can afford to move him back in an emergency.
McCabe has played last 4 games @ 12, like AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper), Deans is going to keep the combos that are working for him and look to plug the holes that arent plugged.
With Gerrard or Barnes @ 15(should beale be broken) you maintain your combos and ask more creatively of JOC (James O'Connor).

Scotty

David Codey (61)
I don't know if it will work with Quade at 10 because we know the direct 12 works well. If Barnes was called in to play 10 for some reason, JOC (James O'Connor) would work great outside him and inject that flair to oppose Barnes's conservative nature. I would love to see this combo tried in some of the pool matches.

There won't be any experimenting with 'first team' players in the pool matches. We will likely play our 'best' team for the 1st, 2nd and 4th games (Italy, Ireland, Russia), with the dirt trackers and reserves starting against the US.

The draw works out pretty well for the wallabies, getting a good strong hit out vs Italy before the toughest pool game vs Ireland, then a break with a chance to freshen and tweak vs the two lesser teams.

Groucho

Greg Davis (50)
He can be a bit of a prawn.

Just getting into the humour of some posts on this thread and the Giteau thread.

Why are we so serious, and so polarised in our opinions when some differences of players are just at the margin?

30v0t1i.jpg

Groucho

Greg Davis (50)

This is right. What Cooper needs is options to choose from. He can give it to Diggers or JOC (James O'Connor) whenever they make themselves available. McCabe and AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) are like fixed pillars he can call on anytime.

ChargerWA

Mark Loane (55)
This is going to be one "just recovered from injury" type squad.

All the mail is saying Palu, Mitchell, Horne, Polota-Nau and Slipper are going to be picked.

First game September 11, that gives them another 25 days, i'm fairly comfortable with that.

tigerland12

John Thornett (49)
This is going to be one "just recovered from injury" type squad.

All the mail is saying Palu, Mitchell, Horne, Polota-Nau and Slipper are going to be picked.

First game September 11, that gives them another 25 days, i'm fairly comfortable with that.

Fuck how much better does our 22 look with those guys in it.

Tatafu, Mitchell and Slipper all bench with Horne and Palu also bench options (or starting for that matter).

We actually have got it pretty good, with only one front line player ruled out of the WC (touch wood).

T

tranquility

Foxsports are reporting on Samo's inclusion.

One scenario included, selecting three locks in which Vickerman was the lock they nominated to miss out. This would mean that Samo would cover the fourth lock spot, and it would allow Palu to make the squad as well.

I think I would prefer four locks, and Samo.

Palu, you got injured at the wrong time mate. Again.

ChargerWA

Mark Loane (55)
I want Samo in the squad, he knows how to win the big games. He grew up in the winning Brumbies culture and showed he still has it in the Reds, never takes a backwards step. He is a must be there inclusion for mine.

Richo

John Thornett (49)
The rumours appear to be coalescing.

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-union/u...n-walking-wounded-for-cup-20110817-1iyat.html

It's risky with all those recently (still?) broken bodies, but bloody hell if even half the just-back-from-injury crew come through firing it'll be a bloody good team.

You'd think that Barnes will have to get a run this weekend, either off the bench or at the expense of McCabe. I'd like to see 12. McCabe, 13. A. Finger and 22. Barnes.

Status
Not open for further replies.