• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Wallabies world cup squad selection

Status
Not open for further replies.

Groucho

Greg Davis (50)
I don't think Barnes will make the squad. He is a great player, although he had an average year for the tahs. Giteau on the other hand had a great year for the brumbies. Just food for thought.

Unfortunately, like Gerrard, Gits can't play the Wallabies ensemble style. In Gerrard's case it's a lack of speed. In Gits' case it's a lack of width on the standard rugby field.

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
Polota-Nau, Moore, Fainga'a
Slipper, Kepu, Alexander, Cowan
Horwill, Sharpe, Simmons, Vickerman
Pocock, Elsom, Palu, Samo, Higginbotham, Hodgson
Genia, Burgess
Cooper, Barnes
Ashley-Cooper, McCabe, Fainga'a, Giteau
Ioane, Mitchell
Beale, O'Connor

That's 29. You get one more pick

W

What2040

I would much rather seen Ben Daley over both of them to be honest. Is he fit enough? He was listed to play for the Gold Coast on the weekend, but I am not sure if he actually played.

Is Daley a chance now that Benn Rob is out - trouble is he is only a LHP but Kepu and Slipper and Alexander can cover both sides - will be interesting

Hardtackle

Charlie Fox (21)
1. Kepu
2. Moore
3. Alexander
4. Sharpe
5. Horwill
6. Elsom
7. Pocock
8. Samo
9. Genia
10. Cooper
11. Ioane
12. Barnes
13 Fainga'a
14. JOC (James O'Connor)
15. Beale

16. TPN
17. Slipper
18. Vickerman
19. Higgers
20. Beau
21. Burgess
22. Mitchell

23. S. Fainga'a
24. Ma'afu
25. Simmons
26. McCalman
27. McCabe
28. N. Phipps
29. Giteau
30. AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)

I'd prefer these two starting centres and Beau in the 22, but I know its a very long shot.

Reactions: Hub
K

Keithy

Phipps will miss the RWC so probably looking at 18/12 split.
FR Kepu, Alexander, Slipper, Ma'afu, Moore, S.Fainga'a, TPN, Cowen
Locks Sharpe, Horwell, Simmons, Vickermann
Open Pocock, Hodgson
Blind Elsom, Higginbothom
#8 Samo, Macalman
Half Genia, Burgess
Flyhalf Cooper,
Centre Barnes, McCabe, Horne, Fainga'a, AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)
Back 3 JOC (James O'Connor), Ioane, Beale, Turner

naza

Alan Cameron (40)
I would much rather seen Ben Daley over both of them to be honest. Is he fit enough? He was listed to play for the Gold Coast on the weekend, but I am not sure if he actually played.

Are you an All Black fan ? Do you want a repeat of the Super Rugby final where he was carved up like a Tom Cruise lamb roast ?

Don't get me wrong - I am not President of the Pek Cowan fan club. But I would be flabbergasted if Ben Daley ever plays test rugby again. For mine, he's the worst scrummager in test rugby I have ever seen and at risk of serious injury at that level.

W

waves

15 K Beale
14 J O'Connor
13 A Ashley Cooper
12 A Fainga'a
11 D Ioane
10 Q Cooper
9 W Genia
8 S Higginbotham
7 D Pocock
6 R Elsom (c)
5 N Sharpe
4 J Horwill
3 J Slipper
2 S Moore
1 S Kepu

16 B Alexander
17 T Polota-Nau
18 D Vickerman
19 W Palu
20 L Burgess
21 B Barnes
22 R Horne

23 S Ma'afu
24 S Fainga'a
25 R Simmons
26 M Hodgson
27 R Samo
28 B McCalman
29 D Mitchell
30 P McCabe

vidiot

John Solomon (38)
Are you an All Black fan ? Do you want a repeat of the Super Rugby final where he was carved up like a Tom Cruise lamb roast ?

Don't get me wrong - I am not President of the Pek Cowan fan club. But I would be flabbergasted if Ben Daley ever plays test rugby again. For mine, he's the worst scrummager in test rugby I have ever seen and at risk of serious injury at that level.

Jesus, he's no John Smit.

H

Hub

AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) is the most shelfish player possibly running around in world rugby.. If only we had a world class 13, Horne could be but is too injury prone

Scarfman

Knitter of the Scarf
Is everyone picking JOC (James O'Connor) at wing because you believe it's his best position or because you think that's what Mad Robbie will do?

I still can't believe he hasn't be tried there. We have a huge problem in the centres and we don't try the guy who plays awesome footy at 10/12. Obtuse.

Athilnaur

Arch Winning (36)
Happily for me the Deans lineup pretty much is my RWC pick, other than having wanted to see T C at least get a shot and not being sold on MaAfu. So many people on this forum seem to want game break attackers at every position. We need to straighten our attack, and a core defense that stops us being eviscerated IMO.

McCabe and TC are the strongest defense centers in Super Rugby. Even Smith (and Fainga'a for that matter) has significantly lower percentages. McCabe isn't as powerful as TC but like TC people seem to underestimate how effective he is at getting those crucial in close meters. As for criticism of McCabes attack, distribution I think they are developing well and fairly fast. He actually has it in him to play a similarly to Smith in my view, but that's a long term view requiring more time seeing the game from a centers pov. Which would make me very happy indeed because in my view Conrad Smith is the best Centre in SH rugby by a fair margin.

None of this is a criticism of JOC (James O'Connor). It's the opposite in my opinion because now both Ioane and JOC (James O'Connor) have licenses to kill inside as well as outside - and who defend very well.

naza

Alan Cameron (40)
By the end of his career, Dunning actually turned into a decent prop. Not a world beater by any means, but he could hold a S15 scrum without too much difficulty.

Absolutely. And there's no reason Daley can't eventually do the same, prop's maturing like a fine wine & other cliches. But at the moment he's miles away.

tigerland12

John Thornett (49)

He is easily the best around the field working prop in the country, he would only be playing against the lower nations anyway. Believe it or not props have to do more then scrummage.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
Is everyone picking JOC (James O'Connor) at wing because you believe it's his best position or because you think that's what Mad Robbie will do?

I still can't believe he hasn't be tried there. We have a huge problem in the centres and we don't try the guy who plays awesome footy at 10/12. Obtuse.

Why do we have a 'huge' problem in the centres? Personally I think the RWC will be won on defense (what a surprise hey). We don't lack for creativity elsewhere in the backs, so I think going for some strong defense centres isn't a bad ploy. Guys like McCabe and Fa'ainga turn defense into offense anyway.

I'd also suggest the defense is the main reason Nonu and Smith are being preferred to SBW and Fruen.

Status
Not open for further replies.