• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Wallabies world cup squad selection

Status
Not open for further replies.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Agree with Palu and Horne they are the biggest risks and when you factor in Barnes, Mitchell & TPN with little game time its a big call. Ideally all will play for the Aus Baabaas next Friday.

It is a big call, but if they break down they get replaced, like any other player in the squad

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
Good summary Barb. I think this is a flaw in this team. Perhaps RD is relying on a Beau R fly-in scenario if DP grabs other than a minor injury?

I have worked it out, and the tactic is genius. Robbie KNOWS that one or all of Cliff Palu, Rob Horne and TPN will get injured within the first week of the competition. They fly home, and Robbie can bring in anyone he wants- eg Hodgo, Beau, Gits etc. So he gets to show faith in his established players but still have the subs he desires. He can have his cake and eat it too.

Hardtackle

Charlie Fox (21)
I didn't see the switch to Horwill coming. Happy as a pig in mud though. Samo in is also great news. Reckon we'll be all keeping everything crossed that Pocock can stay fit. Might see Ant Finger hanging off the side of a scrum in an emergency. The thought doesn't scare me too much.

BarneySF

Bob Loudon (25)
I have worked it out, and the tactic is genius. Robbie KNOWS that one or all of Cliff Palu, Rob Horne and TPN will get injured within the first week of the competition. They fly home, and Robbie can bring in anyone he wants- eg Hodgo, Beau, Gits etc. So he gets to show faith in his established players but still have the subs he desires. He can have his cake and eat it too.

Totally - Dingo's even said as much that players WILL get injured. Should start a thread on who that'll likely be (not so soon after announcement though).

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
I didn't see the switch to Horwill coming. Happy as a pig in mud though. Samo in is also great news. Reckon we'll be all keeping everything crossed that Pocock can stay fit. Might see Ant Finger hanging off the side of a scrum in an emergency. The thought doesn't scare me too much.

I think Higgers looks to be the most likely

R

Rev Spooner

Can McCalman play openside flanker? Seems we're a bit top heavy on the No 8 position if he can't considering we have Palu, Samo and Higgers already.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
Palau, Samo, McCalman.

Lots of people with the same skills.

Add Elsom and Higgers and 5 has to go into 2.

Preplexing to say the least. Semi final and Pocock goes down in the warmup. It seems a bit nutty.

Saia as openside? I beg you jest sir.

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
It is a big call, but if they break down they get replaced, like any other player in the squad

I guess it's not so much the risk of another 'breakdown', though that is a consideration of course, but just as much how long it takes for this ex-injured group to get Test match playing fit again...eg, we have seen Rocky still not to his complete best after 4 Tests this year.

D

daz

Just saw the squad and have not had time to fully digest, but my initial gut reaction is that Deans has done well here. Concerned about the back up options for Pocock, but only a little bit. I'm sure Beau R is on 30 minutes notice to move if required.

However, I'm really just stunned at the switch from Rocky to Horwill. That is a massive, massive change. I feel for Rock but by gee, I'm so fucking proud and pleased for Big Kev.

Great call Robbie. You have some seriously big balls after all.

Scarfman

Knitter of the Scarf
Not taking an openside is weird.

There's that word again. Why not take Beau Robinson? Weird.

As usual, in making Horwill captain, Mad Robbie is almost exactly 6 months behind the rest of us.

And selecting so many crocked players? Barnes over Giteau? Weird.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
It's a 30 man squad, there are always going to be surprises and things people disagree with. In the end I am very happy with the captaincy switch, and no-one really deserving of a spot was left out. Couldn't ask for much more. But what do I know, I am just a mindless Wallaby cheerleader.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
Is Matt Gitaeu a destabilisng factor in the squad? He is a cocky little bloke. It would have made perfect sense to have him ahead of a bunch of guys just in case, but maybe he's just s shit and Robbie doesn't want him around? No? Yes?

Weird. :)

All I can say is a wish our coaches had the BALLS to drop their captain becuase they know there is a better bloke. Kudos to Deans. Big Kahunas.

Iluvmyfooty

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Does Rocky losing the captaincy mean that his test position is not assurred? He has played well recently but overall his form has been down. If he does not produce it will allow RD to replace him with Higgers much easier if he is not captain

Hardtackle

Charlie Fox (21)
Think he was referring to Ant.
Yes Ant as Saia won't get many mnutes if TPN gets fit. I'm referring to a case where Pocock goes down early, then we cop a couple more back row injuries. I wouldn't pick him as a run on 7, but if shit happens..........is it weirder than say Higgers ending up on a wing?

R

Rev Spooner

Is Matt Gitaeu a destabilisng factor in the squad? He is a cocky little bloke. It would have made perfect sense to have him ahead of a bunch of guys just in case, but maybe he's just s shit and Robbie doesn't want him around? No? Yes?

Weird. :)

All I can say is a wish our coaches had the BALLS to drop their captain becuase they know there is a better bloke. Judos to Deans. Big Kahunas.

I've heard this from numerous sources - and where there's smoke ...

Hardtackle

Charlie Fox (21)
Does Rocky losing the captaincy mean that his test position is not assurred? He has played well recently but overall his form has been down. If he does not produce it will allow RD to replace him with Higgers much easier if he is not captain
Has to be both a question mark over his leadership and he may not be the best 6 at the moment.

Status
Not open for further replies.