• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Wallabies v Wales Game 2 Sat 13 July Melbourne

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Wright and Ikitau will hopefully both be good to go for Georgia...

In a further boost to the side, Schmidt confirmed centre Len Ikitau will likely be available for the Georgia Test as he deals with a hamstring complaint.

"Lenny’s tracking really well. He should run at full speed by latest Saturday which puts him in the selection frame for next week," he added.

"With a young squad, if we don't give them time and I know I talked about the runway already, I just think having that clarity, as I said, I only met these guys two weeks ago.

"There's a lot to cover and we're trying to keep the menu fairly tight but to be really good with what we do have."

Wilson

Michael Lynagh (62)
Great to hear Wright is only a one week stinger. He's had horrible luck with injuries, it would have been a real shame for him to be out for a long time just as he was stringing together a good run of form and being rewarded for it.

A return against Georgia should be good timing for Ikitau too, getting to play a warm up test before the Rugby Championship is probably going to be pretty important for a guy who has had limited minutes this year.

Wallabies

Chris McKivat (8)
I think this next game, the winning margin can only get bigger. My point is, Wales are well and truly into their international season and theres not much room to improve in a short phase of time, regarding experimenting with new combos, new players and strategies. On the contrary, the wallabies will now have a bit more time under their belt, last weeks debuts feeling a bit more comfortable, and a bit more cohesion in attack between players. Obviously, this game could go wales way, theres no doubt about that. Im just saying this weeks game should be even more favourable for the wallabies with everything mentioned, as well as a boost of confidence for the side, knowing they've got what it takes against wales.

KOB1987

John Eales (66)
Langi was the 2024 forwards version of 2023 Tom Wright. Rocks and diamonds, but with more rocks. He has the potential to be a superstar, has a massive motor and no fear, but a currently high error rate.

stillmissit

Peter Fenwicke (45)
I'm sure we will see more attack out wide and good support play from CC. Contrary to G I think this will free up Valetini to take the ball up and support the breakdown without concerning himself with the wider channels an 8 is expected to cover.

Wilson

Michael Lynagh (62)
Yeah, lack of motor has been one of his biggest issues. Not so big a deal in a bench role, but I think that's all he's suited to at the moment.

Brumby Runner

Jason Little (69)
I am hopeful the game plan v 2 will allow for a bit more expansive play out wide. Not so much that Wales will expect it and be ready in defence, but just spasmodically to get some good play out of our wider runners.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Interesting, BR. I thought our wide runners were pretty involved, especially for what is reported to be the Schmidt default strategy/gameplan.

I'd like to see the centres brought in more. I'd like to see the back three involved pretty much as they were. Same again please. I'd like to see a more convincing team (but largely pack) defence against that crazy intense opening 10-15min by Wales.

BDA

Jim Lenehan (48)
Interested on people's thoughts on charlie cale starting. He looks like an exciting prospect and im glad to see schmidt give him a shot, im just wondering whether he's the best choice to replace wright in the starting side. Personally id probably prefer to see wilson slot in a 8 (or even hooper at 6). I still worry about our ruck work and ball retention (which was frankly shithouse last year) and i feel wilson offers a bit more in tight.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
I think Wilson has improved his break down work, but it’s still not a mainstay of his game that I’ve noticed. I wouldn’t say I’ve noticed it much in Cale either but I haven’t seen as much. Wilson’s ball retention could still do with a bit of work at times as well.

Cale is more like for like in terms of his lineout work and also has the advantage that he was involved last week when Wilson wasn’t.

If Wilson was going to get a shot I thought it might be from the bench in the role Gleeson has this week. Whether Schmidt is trying to get more game time in his legs first or just sees him as further down the pecking order I guess we will see in due course.

Last edited:

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
Wilson or Gleeson will do a similar job. Valetini can carry in to the defence at 100% for 60 mins then have a fresh Gleeson do the same. They both also hit very hard in defence and like to go for a trot linking with the faster men out wide.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
Honestly I think Wilson is much more deserving this year than Gleeson and would do a much better job. But then I think the same was true last year and the year before. I still struggle to see the appeal of Gleeson at test level as he seems to have the odd really good play mixed in with a whole bunch of average to me. But clearly lots of others see more and Schmidt is one of them - so good luck to him.

In any case Cale has the jump on both of them at the moment and I don’t personally think either make the starting team unless Valetini gets injured.

Derpus

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Is Wilson still not 100% fit? I also do not see what Gleeson brings ahead of Wilson.

I thought Gleeson really deserved his initial caps in his break out year but hasn't been amazing this year at all.

I don't know that Cale has jumped them both though. I would see Wilson as a Valetini replacement as he doesn't do the lineout stuff Cale and Wright seem to.