• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Wallabies v Wales Game 2 Sat 13 July Melbourne

Homer

Fred Wood (13)
I think Gleeson's selection is more around the fact the Welsh started their comeback through the forwards up the middle. Their backs dont offer much so having some big bodies like Blythe, Kailea and Gleeson in the middle will nullify the Welsh forward drive in the last quarter. His leg drive into contact will also offer something on counterattack.
He is not a lineout option though so will be interesting to see who he comes on for.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
That’s my read too Derpus. I think Wright is likely to come back in when fit and Cale probably has the jump on the number 20 jersey.

Wilson played for Brothers on the weekend. Pretty sure he was limited to half a game which suggests to me RA are controlling his time and have a plan to bring him in at some time. I was half asleep when I watched the game though so I might be wrong.

Rugby Head

Watty Friend (18)
Agreed, I think Gleeson offers a lot more spark than Wilson off the bench. Although Cale is young/inexperienced, he is well deserving of his spot in the starting team. Really like the balance of the starting back row, then Gleeson comes on for Cale with 25 to go and throws himself into the Welsh.

Wilson

Michael Lynagh (62)
Is Wilson still not 100% fit?
Played club and is back in camp, but maybe didn't have enough time to get up to speed. I think they made a pretty late call on Wright's fitness so that might not have helped his case. Fully fit he should be miles ahead of Gleeson on form and experience.

PhilClinton

Tony Shaw (54)
Schmidt: We didn't select Ryan Smith because he needs a break, so he's off to clubland

Smith: Plays 83mins of club rugby

Probably Schmidt: We didn't select Ryan Smith because he played too much club rugby and needs a break

Tomthumb

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
Who would you pick Smith ahead of? Williams fills the grafter role, LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) the ball carrying role, and Blyth is obviously someone they want to develop due to his Size and good body height defensively for such a huge guy

Being on the bench is not necessarily the next best player, it's about impact and a point of difference

PhilClinton

Tony Shaw (54)
I don't really have an issue with the team.

My comment in more tongue in cheek as I mentioned the other week I thought Schmidt was disingenuous about the reason Smith was removed from the squad. You don't tell someone they need a break and then send them to clubland to play 83mins.

If he's not in the plans currently that is fine, but I think we've all had enough of coaches who aren't upfront about selections.

KOB1987

John Eales (66)
I could be wrong but I think the comments made specific reference to high intensity rugby. It's analogous to being an Olympic 5km runner and being sent off to do a couple of park runs.

stillmissit

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Phil, I disagree slightly with your thinking. I played a few county games in the UK and the difference in output is significant. Going back to club you realise how much easier it is.

PhilClinton

Tony Shaw (54)
At the end of the day this isn't the Reds and Schmidt picked a winning team last week that included Blyth so I have no issues. I just hope the messages the coaching staff tell the media about selections is the same feedback players get, because from the outside it seems muddied.

Tomthumb

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
Not always. I don't think a coach openly telling everyone all the weaknesses of his players would do wonders for team morale