• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Wallabies v Wales, 6 July

KOB1987

John Eales (66)
Wright and Kellaway are locked in for 2 of the back 3 positions you would think. The third one could be any of Pietsch, Daugunu, Lancaster or Beale. I could see a world where Beale is 14 and Kellaway is 11, with Wright at 15 but that could be a bit fullback heavy. I think it will be Pietsch, it's really just a placeholder for Koroibete anyway.

rugbyAU

Dick Tooth (41)
Interetsed to see what they do in the back row either Valetini/McReight/Cale or Wright/McReight/Valetini

Strewthcobber

Simon Poidevin (60)
BPA's last game in France was 23 March.

Very little info as to why but it seems like he may have had a calf/ankle injury, but may also have just not been picked once he announced he was leaving

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Montpellier played a relegation match on the weekend, and I would assume he was going to remain there until the end of his contract...

It was reported earlier in the year that he wouldn't be heading back to Australia until June.

But ultimately Schmidt wasn't selecting anyone for this squad who wasn't domestic based and played Super Rugby.

Cauliflower Ear

Frank Nicholson (4)
Wright and Kellaway are locked in for 2 of the back 3 positions you would think. The third one could be any of Pietsch, Daugunu, Lancaster or Beale. I could see a world where Beale is 14 and Kellaway is 11, with Wright at 15 but that could be a bit fullback heavy. I think it will be Pietsch, it's really just a placeholder for Koroibete anyway.
Would love to reward the great season Daugunu has had in super rugby, however, probably lacks the kicking prowess for the test arena. After watching the Wales vs SA game, I think it is definitely a winnable series for the Wallabies who are still licking their wounds from a disastrous RWC and blooding a truckload of Super Rugby youth. I believe Georgia might pose more of a challenge than a weak Wales team.

Dctarget

Tim Horan (67)
Alrighty, here's my team. We're 10 days out from the first test (and my own bucks party, so sadly I will be otherwise engaged). 10 days ain't long, expect Wales to have more cohesion than us.

1. Hodgman*
2. Faessler
3. Tupou
4. Frost
5. Salakai-Loto
6. Hooper
7. McReight
8. Valetini
9. White
10. Lolesio
11. Lancaster*
12. Paisami
13. Ikitau
14. Kellaway
15. Wright
16. Pollard*
17. Slipper
18. Ala'alatoa
19. Williams*
20. Cale*
21. McDermott
22. Donaldson
23. Flook

Hot take: If Williams didn't play for a garbage team he'd be much higher rated, he's a weapon. 5 debutants, 3 in the hard positions eased in via bench, Lancaster thrown in the deep end and Hodgman isn't a debut to the test arena. Fuck me it'd be nice to have a hooker that becomes an incumbent. Was gonna throw in Beale at 23 but him and Donaldson cover similar positions, so Flook it is.

Last edited:

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
Would love to reward the great season Daugunu has had in super rugby, however, probably lacks the kicking prowess for the test arena. After watching the Wales vs SA game, I think it is definitely a winnable series for the Wallabies who are still licking their wounds from a disastrous RWC and blooding a truckload of Super Rugby youth. I believe Georgia might pose more of a challenge than a weak Wales team.
Daugunu was an international goalkeeper in soccer. He can kick.

Wilson

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Pietsch can’t kick or pass either.
With the others in the back 3 that's honestly not too big a deal, the problem with Pietsch is his finishing (and some of his decision making near the line in general) isn't up to standard. Can't be wasting chances at test level.

He is otherwise a good footballer and it is a coachable skill, so hopefully Schmidt can get him on the right track, but I think that will be a longer term project. I've never seen a player who's game would benefit more from a stint in the NRL - their ability to make sure otherwise ordinary wingers can finish even the low percentage chances is peerless.

LeCheese

John Thornett (49)
Daugunu was an international goalkeeper in soccer. He can kick.
I thought his soccer career peaked for the Labasa team. Did he play for Fiji?

Agree though, he can kick. I'm pretty sure he has a 50-22 to his name?