• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Wallabies v Wales, 6 July

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I don't think the Brumbies' scrums concerns had to do with his efforts...

He wasn't penalised once over the last three games. The Brumbies' depth on the loosehead side was severely tested, and it was a constant source of any collapses. McInerney was also clearly a weakness in the middle, and likely hasn't fully recovered from his neck injury. At times I think there were also issues with their second row.

Sword of Justice

Phil Hardcastle (33)
After injury he was lifted off his feet a few times but definitely improved over the later rounds. I don’t think he was bossing anyone even at the end but given his experience and leadership in the squad, if not the captaincy, I’m certain he’ll be starting the first test against Wales.

Tomthumb

John Solomon (38)
I never said he was giving away penalties, I said he was going backwards regularly, letting looseheads dictate the bind and getting right under his chest near on every time

Marce

Greg Davis (50)
AAA has been dreadful come scrum time this season, and his impact around the park isn't what it has been in past years. Honestly, Nongorr had a better season
Fair call. It's a good time to pick Nongorr as starter and see what he can do against a weak Wales and Georgia

Brumby Runner

Jason Little (69)
The only thing I agree with in the crap that is on the last couple of pages is that Nongorr has been pretty good and imo has been better than TT this year and might make the bench over TT at least against Wales while TT gets up to speed fitness wise. I expect Georgia to have a stronger scrum than Wales.

upthereds#!

Peter Johnson (47)
I'm going a tad different, experience in the starting front row and finishing backs.

1. Slipper 2. Faessler 3. Ala'alatoa
4. Frost 5. LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto)
6. Hoops 8. Valetini 7. Mcreight
9. Mcdermott 10. Lolesio 11. Lancaster 12. Paisami 13. Ikitau 14. Kellaway 15. Wright
16. Nasser 17. Hodgman 18. Tupou 19. Williams 20. Cale 21. White 22. Beale 23. Daugunu

Last edited by a moderator:

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Slim, I can only agree with your reaction to the frequently ott reactions here to AAA. Still, he has not been at his best in the scrum across the season in my thinking. I'd suggest he will be both captain and starting tight head. Deservedly. I'm not entirely comfortable though, seeing a solid international front row in Wales and then piledriver of Georgia.

How do you think the scrum will stack from the front?

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I'm not sure, but coming back from most of the year off he looked to be improving over the half a dozen games he played...

The Brumbies' scrum was already struggling well before he came back.

I hope under a better system, and among a better scrummaging unit it'll be fine... but we'll see.

Brumby Runner

Jason Little (69)
Smith would also be a debutant Lock if selected. Then there is LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto). I reckon there's a very good chance Frost will be in the XV along with LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto).

On the matter of scrums, despite Allan A being out injured the Brumbies were ok, not dominant and sometimes not equal but for the most part holding their own on own feed in the SRP (Super Rugby Pacific) competition until injury hit the LH side with both Slipper and Schoupp unavailable. The scrum woes then were attributable to a rookie in Vella not being up to scratch (yet) and a relatively inexperienced THP, van Nek, moving across to the LH side.

Near the end of the season and during the finals, the scrum was a bit more stable week on week as Allan A worked his way into match fitness, even though the injury problem still existed on the LH side. They had some poorly executed scrums against the Blues, but who didn't? Overall, though, the forwards acquitted themselves at lineout time and in general play as good as any and better than most. They didn't get to the semi-final by being less than the best Aussie side in the competition. And Allan A was one of the stand out performers in general play against the Blues. He had an enormous game carrying and defending. Anyone saying elsewise just wasn't looking or maybe didn't watch the game at all.

I will be shocked if Ala'alatoa doesn't start against Wales and surprised if he's not the captain in these early tests.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
Alaalata has been a quality prop for a long time. If Schmidt sees fit to pick him then happy to back his judgement.

But he hasn’t been good this year. Coming back from injury so not unexpected- but let’s be honest scrumming has never been his big strength.

If you read some of the comments it’s the LHPs or it’s the locks or it’s the hooker or it’s the Blues or it’s apparently anything else but him.

Maybe he is actually part of the problem.

Around the field - yeah sure, that has always been his strength and he improved as he got fitter.

upthereds#!

Peter Johnson (47)
v THE OTHERSSSSS (not in 38) - Not available through to injury, league, overseas, overseas signed or just plain not picked!

1. Bell 2. Porecki 3. Talakai
4. Arnold 5. Skelton
6. Swinton 8. Leota 7. Samu
9. Lonergan 10. Quade 11. Koroibete 12. Kerevi 13. Perese 14. Markymark 15. Hodge
16. BPA 17. Sio 18. Hoskins 19. Philip 20. Holloway 21. Fines 22. Gordon 23. Petaia

24. Uelese 25. Gibbon 26. HJH (Harry Johnson-Holmes) 27. Arnold 28. Rodda 29. Hanigan 30. Kemeny 31. Gamble 32. Genia 33. Foley 34. Foketi 35. Simone 36. Vunivalu 37. Toole 38. Campbell

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
But he hasn’t been good this year. Coming back from injury so not unexpected- but let’s be honest scrumming has never been his big strength.

He was once one of the best scrummaging TH props in the competition.

In 2019 in particular, he was widely lauded as the best TH in Super Rugby that year and lead the comp with forced scrum penalties.

But after coming back from injuries in 2020, he's never been as dominant as he was in those few years leading up to then.

And despite there being some more consistently stronger scrummaging TH's in that period... Wallaby coaches keep going back to him.

Last edited: