• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Wallabies v Springboks, Sat 17th August 2024 Perth

Wallabies v Springboks, Sat 17th August 2024

• Boks by 70+

Votes: 4 9.5%
  • Boks by 50+

Votes: 5 11.9%
  • Boks by 30+

Votes: 6 14.3%
  • Boks by 200-odd

Votes: 5 11.9%
  • sorry, that was a typo, I meant 20-odd

Votes: 11 26.2%
  • Joe Schmidt will know what to do

Votes: 8 19.0%
  • I hate rugby now

Votes: 4 9.5%
  • Straya to win you f******!

Votes: 3 7.1%
  • did this thread really need a pole?

Votes: 8 19.0%
  • your mum needs a pole you rude ********* ********

Votes: 10 23.8%

• Total voters

Hogan

Allen Oxlade (6)
One try in 160 mins of footy for the Wallabies is a serious concern. We can’t expect to be competitive if we’re not scoring tries. Our attack seems very limited. Not sure if that’s the game plan or the cattle? Would like to see Hamish Stewart be given a run at 12. We need another playmaker to assist our 10’s. Plus he is a competent kicker of the ball. Paisami and Ikitau are too similar. Both very one dimensional.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
We've definitely got a problem at 12 I think. We really lack a combination of crisp passing and penetration (either on the crash or with foot work) in the midfield.

KiwiM

Arch Winning (36)
Yeah the 9-10-12 axis on attack is offering very little for the Wallabies. White did offer a kicking option though.

Argentina could be a good time to introduce Lynagh.

I wonder if it's worth giving Stewart a go at 12 as another playmaker to open things up.

At the moment the wallaby backs are neither offering territory with kicking options or threatening with ball in hand

There was space created out wide but a lack execution on kicks (and Wright not passing despite having penalty advantage) meant the ball didn't get there

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
Absolutely right KiwiM. I'd like to see a different midfield rolled out against Argentina. The pigs are working manfully to get at least some ball and we're just not doing anything with it. We've got speed and skill in the outside backs but they're just not seeing the pill at all.

stillmissit

Ken Catchpole (46)
The modern international game entails a squad approach. 14 of the 23 players in their team last night won a World Cup final less than a year ago. They have crazy depth and rolled out some players in the first half who aren’t well known now but will be part of the main squad in 2027, supported by some world class veterans who won’t be.
There's only one difference, they kept their senior players in the Springboks, we are happy to let ours go and pay shit loads to get them back 3 years later!

stillmissit

Ken Catchpole (46)
But apart from that I thought the first half was a good enjoyable contest etc, and Wallabies looked improved ,if perhaps still behind the Boks?
Agree, one of the best halves of football we have put in in the last few years. Lolesio excepted - I feel sorry for him these days but his goal kicking kept us in the game, his field kicking didn't,

PhilClinton

Tony Shaw (54)
It will be interesting to see if Kerevi comes back into consideration for the Argentina trip, the lack of impact in the midfield was one of the most obvious criticisms of the Boks matches.

He has definitely been talking to Schmidt a lot, I was surprised he was omitted from this squad.

I’m guessing they conceded he had too many croissants over in Paris and wasn’t going to be eligible.

Derpus

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Stewart is a glue man you play to sit in-between two impact players. I don't seem the harm in picking him but I don't think he'll fix our issues. If we want size in the centres the only semi-realistic options available are either Kerevi or Petaia.

Derpus

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Our pigs just aren't clever enough. All Super Rugby Kiwi players lay on our side of the ruck and barely ever got pinged for it. Same tactics last night from the Boks - just constantly impeding our rucks. Why can't they see what tactics are proving effective and emulate them?

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
The conditions were atrocious but the Boks handled them much better than us. Hard to judge the backs, or anyone in that weather but we obviously do have a problem creating anything through the inside backs, as some have already suggested. We lack the ability to penetrate through trucking it up or finding gaps. The chip kick seems to be the only plan. It got us in a lot of trouble last week and threatened to do the same yesterday as we have no reliable/accurate kickers.
We need change in the centres. Kerevi at 12 or maybe Petaia at 13 if he is longer pursuing an NFL switch. I really don’t know but we need some size and direction in that area. Maybe I am being tough on Paisami and Lenny I. and the problem lies at 10? Maybe both?
I’m fucked if I know. I hope Schmitty knows.
As said, hard to judge anyone too harshly in those conditions.

Pokinacha

Ron Walden (29)
Cale? We don't even have a first play maker...
He has size, speed, hands, defence… compared to Paisami, he’s winning that comparison. He’s the same size as Jordie Barrett and coming from 7s has a good pass. Tactics can be taught

stillmissit

Ken Catchpole (46)
As a consistent critic of Tom Wright, can I say this was the best game I have seen him play? His defence was solid and his overall game considering the conditions was very good. Hope it was not a one off but a sign that I was wrong and some of you were right, he might make a decent fullback.

Bell was very good but BobbyV was quiet in a game I thought he would stand out in. LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) did his bit as did most of the forwards in the first 40, the less said the better about the second 40. I have no idea what was going on with our backs last night but it wasn't good.