• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Wallabies v Springboks, Sat 17th August 2024 Perth

Wallabies v Springboks, Sat 17th August 2024

• Boks by 70+

Votes: 4 9.5%
  • Boks by 50+

Votes: 5 11.9%
  • Boks by 30+

Votes: 6 14.3%
  • Boks by 200-odd

Votes: 5 11.9%
  • sorry, that was a typo, I meant 20-odd

Votes: 11 26.2%
  • Joe Schmidt will know what to do

Votes: 8 19.0%
  • I hate rugby now

Votes: 4 9.5%
  • Straya to win you f******!

Votes: 3 7.1%
  • did this thread really need a pole?

Votes: 8 19.0%
  • your mum needs a pole you rude ********* ********

Votes: 10 23.8%

• Total voters

Brumby Runner

Jason Little (69)
So who from Dad's army came up with the game plan of our backs to kick it around in pissing down rain.

For a bloke who's coached in Europe where these conditions are rife, you'd have thought Joe would have had us play 10 man rugby.
Doesn't 10 man rugby mean the 10 (a back) kicks it away on every possession?

liquor box

Peter Sullivan (51)
Harrison and Habana are starting team for the one-eyed biased commentary.

Nothing grinds me more than hearing commentary teams saying “we need to play better” etc…
I loved Habana, it was the first enjoyable Stan broadcast I have heard, I dont want to constantly be told how good the Wallabies are going when we are losing by 30 points, I want someone who may actually make a comment about the game, even if it is positive towards our opponent.

What do you want? SBW?

The we need to play better is a fair point, but having a commentator who is obviously not an Aussie stick up for his team add flavour without the illiteracy and enunciation of SBW is great.

It reminds me of the good old days in cricket commentary when Tony Grieg would actually call out poor play by Australian players.

I hope it continues.

Derpus

Nathan Sharpe (72)
The attack is pretty disorganised, the maul defence is atrocious (literally defenders tripping over each other) and the decision making from the backs is just diabolical. Not sure where we go from here.

molman

Jim Lenehan (48)
This...
If White doesn’t throw a pass for an intercept try tonight I’ll eat my hat. Playing flat, taking steps before passing and a rushing Boks defence.
.. and this...
Lolesio is standing completely when he receives it…
.. and this...
Ughhhh why did we kick that away!!
.. and finally this...
Honestly, we don’t have the ability to deliver a game plan which is much different to this, this is about as simple as it gets and we fail to execute. It’s not the game plan which is the issue
.. about sums it up.

I appreciate that the weather was god awful for much of the game, but White couldn't have made it easier for the South African defense with his signposted slow service to an essentially static forward.. or static Noah, who often didn't look like he knew where to go as the press often led to a rushed kick. Besides the Wright cross kick to Jorgenson, I don't think any of those cross kicks were really on or even tactically sound in a game where it's going to be hard enough to secure the highball cleanly due to weather, but you're also betting on a one-on-one between a player like Mapimpi and Kellaway which is just as likely to go the other way.

This was always going to be a challenging game, especially with our depth, experience and injuries, but it's a little frustrating to not see us play smarter, execute the basics better.

There were some players like Bell who I think generally did well for first game back. LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) was industrious and broadly all the players were trying their hearts out, we just seem to push it too often when the risk reward isn't right.

That game could have easily blown out in the first half with RSA fumbling a few genuine opportunities off the back of some of our play and decision making.

Last edited:

Agent

Watty Friend (18)
That was very hard to watch. I know it was very wet but there were some really ordinary U12 like moments esp in the 2nd half. We didn’t look like scoring!

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
I thought the guys played their guts out tonight but the gap in class was very evident. The Boks were able to pester us at the breakdown and push far enough in the contact zone that the following attack phases had our guys on their heels or flat footed. This is perfect for a rush defence. That said, some of our option taking was atrocious. I don't like to single blokes out but I don't know how much longer we can persist with Noah at 10 or frankly White at 9. What ball we are getting is being strangled by an over use of the boot (and poor kicking at that) or passes to guys who half the time don't seem to be expecting it. We looked like we were trying not to lose rather than to win (I know the conditions didn't help).

I think we will get better from this and a tour to Argentina is probably a good thing right now. Get away as a group, work on things together and keep building. All is not lost.

HogansHeros

Jim Clark (26)
I like the look of young Billy Pollard, scrums well in the uncontested stuff. Was solid around the park, looked as good as we've got in the lineouts, still young.

Hopefully we can stick it out with some of these young fellas and build a team that plays a few games together, If we call for heads at the end of every loss we will have no one left.

And big props to Etzebeth; will be the most capped Bok very soon. Has been a giant of the game for a decade!

Strewthcobber

Steve Williams (59)
How to play wet weather football.

2x South African 10s - 3 passes, 9 kicks, 1 carry

How to not play wet weather football

2x Australian 10s - 17 passes, 7 kicks, 3 carries

capalaba

Larry Dwyer (12)
Can someone run me through the criteria for determining that was the Springboks B team, and ours being our strongest one?
The Boks made 10 changes from last week's team. We rolledmon what all the pundits said was our best team and we got done 30-12.

Shiggins

Simon Poidevin (60)
People are blowing up about the uncontested scrums saying we cheated.

What's the law actually say ?

If there is a hia and no replacement prop any available player can be used in the row and team not penalised to 14 ?

Last edited:

Strewthcobber

Steve Williams (59)
People are blowing up about the uncontested scrums saying we cheated.

What's the law actually say ?

If there is a hia and no replacement prop any available player can be used in the row and team not penalised to 14 ?
All the scenarios are in here

Basically, if an HIA is involved, you don't lose a player

Marce

John Hipwell (52)
For a bloke who's coached in Europe where these conditions are rife, you'd have thought Joe would have had us play 10 man rugby.
You need to gain meters consistently to make a successful pick and go tactic. Uru and Hooper gained some meters in the second half

dGgIbBn.jpg

dG8tzEx.jpg

Wilson was the number 1 but he played 80 minutes. All the Boks forwards beat the Aussies in meters

Shiggins

Simon Poidevin (60)
All the scenarios are in here

Basically, if an HIA is involved, you don't lose a player
Yeh that's it. Some people are saying you don't lose a player but have to replace the thp with a front rower. The scenario says this though.

1. The injured TH prop can be temporarily replaced by any available player - the uncontested scrums is caused by the TH prop that was called for HIA. The team does not lose a player.