• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Wallabies v Springboks, Sat 10th August 2.30pm AEST @ Suncorp,

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Losing McReight means less cohesion in the back row, Wilson & McReight play enough together that their passing interchanges are quite seamless

Actually Wilson is up for a massive test, he is up against big aggressive, unrelenting bodies, his cleanout work and second efforts will have to be on point

Tazzmania

Johnnie Wallace (23)
It will be 10 weeks since Tizzano last played a pro game. He can't have had many training sessions with the team.

Big ask for a 7 in his debut, and only against the World Champs. I wonder if the plan is for him to play 80?
Carlo has been playing club rugby for UWA, so while no where near the required level at least he has been keeping match fit

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
I'm stoked to see Carlo get the gig, but like others I do worry about about him being able to play bulk minutes on debut against the meat eaters. I guess we'll never know unless he gets given a crack at it, right? I do like the fact that Schmidt appears to have gone for a genuine openside too.

Strewthcobber

Steve Williams (59)
I feel like Donaldson is another placeholder. Like the couple of coaches before him, Schmidt has seen Lolesio look the best at Super Rugby level and then seemingly not have a higher ceiling than that at test level. It will be interesting to see whether he goes back there or whether Lolesio struggles to get another start.
It's not very inspiring at the moment is it.

I agree the career of these two might be collateral damage on the road to finding a long term player. Having said that if you were to write a manual on how to best stuff up a promising young 10s career, wouldn't you pretty much show them how Lolesio has been handled?

Homer

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Tizzano has a huge engine but sometimes tries to do too much. He is better than he was but has to play with a level head, certainly wont back down from anything and he is almost exactly the same size as Kwagga Smith.
The lineout will be a concern though with only two jumpers against four for them if you count Kolisi. Then a thousand rolling mauls.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
It's not very inspiring at the moment is it.

I agree the career of these two might be collateral damage on the road to finding a long term player. Having said that if you were to write a manual on how to best stuff up a promising young 10s career, wouldn't you pretty much show them how Lolesio has been handled?

I'm not sure I'd describe it as collateral damage. I just don't think either are good enough to be long term starting Wallabies (as is the case with the majority of players who ever pull on the jersey). Realistically we need players to surpass them if we're any chance of consistently being better than the 8th to 10th ranking we've been hovering around for a while.

I don't really agree with that last part. I'm not convinced that he'd be a substantially better player now if he hadn't played a bunch of tests nor do I think he'd be a substantially better player if he'd been selected at every opportunity since his debut.

Yoda

Bob Loudon (25)
I'm not sure I'd describe it as collateral damage. I just don't think either are good enough to be long term starting Wallabies (as is the case with the majority of players who ever pull on the jersey). Realistically we need players to surpass them if we're any chance of consistently being better than the 8th to 10th ranking we've been hovering around for a while.

I don't really agree with that last part. I'm not convinced that he'd be a substantially better player now if he hadn't played a bunch of tests nor do I think he'd be a substantially better player if he'd been selected at every opportunity since his debut.
I think they both would be better players if they went overseas and played far more games to develop their skills.

Strewthcobber

Steve Williams (59)
The collateral damage is having to play these guys (cause we have to select someone) even though they aren't ready.

I think he might be a substantially better player if he hadn't been picked and dropped 8 times through his test career before the age of 24, and he had an experienced 10 along with him for the ride as mentor.

Or at least he may not be on the verge of being discarded for the next option

Managing better, might have meant playing fewer tests.

I don't think it's a coincidence that he has better outcomes playing under Larkham

Last edited:

Wilson

Nick Farr-Jones (63)

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Payto also leaning more closely with Doran's uncertainty than Panda's confirmation of Tupou's availability, with the death being downgraded to illness...

Taniela Tupou’s availability on the pine is also under some doubt, due to family illness.

LeCheese

John Thornett (49)
I'm hoping there's a couple of 'leakers' in Wobs camp who are getting a good kick out of this today.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
The collateral damage is having to play these guys (cause we have to select someone) even though they aren't ready.

I think he might be a substantially better player if he hadn't been picked and dropped 8 times through his test career before the age of 24, and he had an experienced 10 along with him for the ride as mentor.

Or at least he may not be on the verge of being discarded for the next option

Managing better, might have meant playing fewer tests.

I don't think it's a coincidence that he has better outcomes playing under Larkham

Collateral damage for fans or the players? In general I think they're better off career-wise having been selected in the first place even if for whatever reason it wasn't for a long time. They make more money immediately, they'll always be Wallabies and I think it generally increases their earnings potential internationally.

Even if some of them weren't overly ready for test rugby, I don't think they were selected prematurely. They've all been the form option or close to it when selected. It's not like we've selected young project players ahead of currently clearly better options on the basis that we hope they will one day become an even better option on the back of that experience.

I'd say the Larkham thing is more that Super Rugby is his level and at test level his good stuff doesn't stand out as much and his bad stuff is exposed more.

I think this is just where we're at. Guys who are justifiably being selected to play for the Wallabies because they're the best we have right now aren't good enough to be long term stars. I also think that for a lot of these guys who have been in professional systems since a young age and haven't got a lot to gain through improved physicality/muscle that's achieved as they age a bit, they're far closer to their ceilings than they once would have been at a similar age.

Overtime

Herbert Moran (7)
I think Tizzano is going to get smashed at the breakdown. That won't stop him from having a crack. Good luck to him though. Yes Donaldson probably a place holder though I hope I am wrong there, as how be it I just don't see any other quality 10's coming through since Carter left. Backing the Wallabies as always just can't see them getting up. Long term problem is not really the coaches except for Eddie it is the cattle we have. Good luck to them all though.

Derpus

Nathan Sharpe (72)
I think Tizzano is going to get smashed at the breakdown. That won't stop him from having a crack. Good luck to him though. Yes Donaldson probably a place holder though I hope I am wrong there, as how be it I just don't see any other quality 10's coming through since Carter left. Backing the Wallabies as always just can't see them getting up. Long term problem is not really the coaches except for Eddie it is the cattle we have. Good luck to them all though.
There are a few decent prospects like McLaughlin-Philips.

House is on Fire

Frank Nicholson (4)
I know he's only played a couple professional matches, but as far as I'm concerned any 10 is a placeholder until Jack Bowen breaks through. I think he's a special player.

But until (if) that happens, my pick remains Noah.

Tomikin

David Codey (61)
Maybe they could convert Max Jorgensen to a 10, his got some of the skills the others don't, being pace and is a better tackler. I think his paths pretty blocked at 15 or wing and his not a massive player. Although to be honest not watched enough of him to really know if he'd be up for it.

KOB1987

John Eales (66)
Maybe they could convert Max Jorgensen to a 10, his got some of the skills the others don't, being pace and is a better tackler. I think his paths pretty blocked at 15 or wing and his not a massive player. Although to be honest not watched enough of him to really know if he'd be up for it.
This has been discussed elsewhere - can certainly see it happening at the Tahs. He played a bit there at schoolboy level but hasn't had an opportunity to get any experience there since as he has been thrust straight into the top level as a back 3 player since the day he left school. Can realistically envisage a Larkham-esque transition in due course. Add game awareness and management to to skills not possessed by the others.