• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Wallabies v Springboks, Sat 10th August 2.30pm AEST @ Suncorp,

Wilson

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
that bench is pretty uninspiring..
Would rather see Toole or Koribete there over Pietsch, or probably a 6-2, but there's not a lot we could change with who is available.

I do like the idea of Reimer getting to come on and play that same bench role he does for the Brumbies, we just need to keep the score relatively well in touch for it to matter.

Last edited:

capalaba

Ward Prentice (10)
Actually I have mixed feelings with this one. I thing we are in for a good shot at the Boks, this is a strong team although Tupou is not available.

My only concern is what our strategy is around who is running the cutter? Although Noah is wearing the 10, I have a feeling we will he playing off Gordon and going for field position like we did v Wales. This means our ball to our midfield will be slow and with the Boks rushing D this doesn't look good.

If we can get good, quick ball to Hunter and the boys then it will be a close game. Hopefully Noah is not hesitant and just calls the shots and backs himself. Our bench is just OK, no one there that can really stamp their authority and break the game wide open. Game will be won and lost in the first 60 minutes.

Derpus

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Home ground advantage will hopefully keep us in it but I think the Boks will account for us relatively comfortably.

LeCheese

John Thornett (49)
A Bomb Squad implies the existence of a potentially dangerous explosive. I've seen how this movie goes before.

bs.jpeg

Marce

Peter Sullivan (51)
Your 2 openside flankers are uncapped players. Interesting, that proves the important of Australia A with plenty of games all year

rugbyAU

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
I would’ve also considered 6-2 bench or had Toole/Koro at 23 there’s no point either not using Peitsch as was the case in the 2nd Welsh test or just bringing him on for 5

drewprint

Alan Cameron (40)
Reckon we're gonna get spanked. Well I'll be there at the game and cheering, so hoping for a fun and competitive game at least.

Khun Phil

Frank Row (1)
I'm a mad Queensland fan but I don't over-hype our players, for example I think it is too soon for Lynagh -- he needs another Super Rugby season to show consistency and to put some more meat on his bones. If he was true Wallaby material he would have started every game for the Reds at 10 when he was fit, not share the duties with two others. I think he will be our number 10, but don't think it should be this year. Bowen started one game for the Waratahs and is being talked about as a superstar. Jorgensen is injury plagued and was underwhelming when he did play this year but is now being touted as a future 10 of all things. And Angus Bell was hyped too early - he may have been good in loose play but he couldn't hold his side of the scrum up.
I'm not saying these players won't be good - Bell has obviously improved and is now our first choice loosehead when fit -- what I am saying is give them time and select them when they are ready.
And what I'm also saying is players from other states don't generally get this level of hype about them.
I don't think the hype comes from most Tahs supporters or anyone who is knowledgeable about rugby.I support the Tahs but just want the best possible players selected for the Wallabies.For sure,Jorgensen has to show a lot more in Super Rugby to warrant a place in a Wallaby 23,but it's obvious that some good judges can identify his potential.I also don't see how Lynagh has done enough at this stage,but Joe seems to.

Yoda

Bob Loudon (25)
What's the common denominator with these players being hyped up and then chosen before they are ready - that's right, they are mostly Waratahs. One good game for the Tahs and you're the next big thing. Three good games and you're actually in the Wallabies squad. With 90 percent of rugby media based in Sydney and RA based there, what else can we expect?
The ‘common denominator’ is drongos on here talking someone up …

Overtime

Herbert Moran (7)
What's the common denominator with these players being hyped up and then chosen before they are ready - that's right, they are mostly Waratahs. One good game for the Tahs and you're the next big thing. Three good games and you're actually in the Wallabies squad. With 90 percent of rugby media based in Sydney and RA based there, what else can we expect?
Wow man, you really don't like the Tahs, honestly the way they played this year none should get in except Bell if match fit. I rate out No 9 talent in Aus pretty lame as well. Honestly, I am a Tahs fan and I prefer Lonergan over all other 9's. I see Gordon about the same as Tate and ahead of White. Just my view.

Yoda

Bob Loudon (25)
Wow man, you really don't like the Tahs, honestly the way they played this year none should get in except Bell if match fit. I rate out No 9 talent in Aus pretty lame as well. Honestly, I am a Tahs fan and I prefer Lonergan over all other 9's. I see Gordon about the same as Tate and ahead of White. Just my view.
Everyone hated Gordon last year now most think he’s the best… lucky we aren’t all coaches!

BDA

Jim Lenehan (48)
I hoping for a good competitive game. If we play well i reckon it will be. Ultimately though it hard to see us not conceding at least two tries via rolling maul. The team appears to be going in the right direction but against a much more polishes bok side this seems like a bridge too far in terms of where we are at. The bookies have the line currently at 8.5 points and honestly i wouldnt be too disappointed if that was the final result

Reactions: TSR

Hogan

Allen Oxlade (6)
It’s the only place to find consistency. Every young 10 has gone through struggles early on, it’s part of the process

Disagree with your view on Donaldson’s season. Thought he was constantly better than Noah was , and in a much worse
Maybe they could convert Max Jorgensen to a 10, his got some of the skills the others don't, being pace and is a better tackler. I think his paths pretty blocked at 15 or wing and his not a massive player. Although to be honest not watched enough of him to really know if he'd be up for it.
I have seen this mentioned numerous times before and it’s a ridiculous suggestion. I don’t think people realise how difficult a position 10 is - especially in the modern game. It is the most scrutinised position in rugby. It takes years and years of experience to master the position with plenty of failings along the way. Jorgo is a wonderful talent but an average kicker of the ball. 15 is his best position. As Joe Schmidt mentioned recently, the 10’s have a huge workload and responsibility more than any player in the team. Lolesio, Donaldson and Lynagh are the best we have at present. They are all going to make mistakes along the way. But it’s the only way they are going to learn and improve. None of them are perfect. With time and experience hopefully they all develop into top notch fly halves.