• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Wallabies v Springboks, Brisbane.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scott Allen

Trevor Allan (34)
My 22 would be:

1. Robinson
2. Moore
3. Slipper - I think the best player should start and I think Slipper has it over Ma'afu. That causes it's own problems with the bench but I'll cover that further down the page.
4. Sharpe - I think he's played really well this season and was missed against Ireland
5. Simmons - I think Mumm and Chisolm have had enough chances to step up
6. Elsom
7. Pocock
8. Hodgson - I think the Wallabies need he and Pocock's work rates combined at the start of the game
9. Genia
10. Cooper
11. Ashley-Cooper - I would prefer him at fullback to defuse the barrage of high balls that will be coming but with Hynes and Ioane out, I'd prefer not to have Mitchell starting on the wing
12. Barnes - we need a really good defender alongside Cooper as I think this is where the Boks will be sending their attack. Fainga'a would also do this job but I'd prefer to have the more experienced player there.
13. Horne - I'm not that impressed with Horne but I think AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) has to plug the hole on the wing so I don't see any other option at #13 this week
14. Shepherd
15. O'Connor - I think the Wallabies need his attacking flair to run the Boks off their feet, particularly on the counter

16. S. Fainga'a
17. Ma'afu
18. Daley - given Robinson and Moore have both not played a lot of rugby lately I think the Wallabies should carry the extra front rower this week
19. Mumm - given his versatilty to cover lock and #6
20. Higginbotham - I'd like to see Hogson and Pocock on at the start to pressure the Boks at the breakdown and cause them to commit more to the breakdown, then have Higgers coming on in the middle of the 2nd half to use his size to run the ball at tired forwards
21. Giteau - to cover #9, #10 and #15
22. Mitchell - would cover AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) going to #13 or #15

I think this mix would give the Wallabies the best chance of taking the Boks down this weekend.

Of course I doubt this lineup will be selected by RD. I think he'll largely keep the status quo with:

1. Robinson; 2. Moore; 3. Ma'afu; 4. Mumm; 5. Sharpe; 6. Elsom; 7; Pocock; 8. Brown; 9. Genia; 10. Cooper; 11. AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper); 12; Giteau; 13. Horne; 14. Shepherd; 15. O'Connor; 16. S. Fainga'a; 17. Slipper; 18. Simmons; 19. Higginbotham; 20. Burgess; 21. Barnes; 22. Mitchell.

Reddy!

Bob Davidson (42)
For somebody with no games under his belt, no form, 1 game under Robbie Deans and a high chance of pulling out of the game with injury, there sure is alot of Shepherd love floating around.

Yes, I hope Mitchell is selected.

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
My 22 would be: .....I think this mix would give the Wallabies the best chance of taking the Boks down this weekend. Of course I doubt this lineup will be selected by RD.....

Austin, I like this side. Would argue that Ma'afu should be deleted as 17, and A Finger come in on the bench as it's critical he's given some time on to see if his potential can shine in a hard Test (and perhaps too as protection if Barnes or Horne perform poorly and the pressure is really on).

What I would say is that whilst there is an on-paper likelihood that your side is a higher net risk than your assumed RD side in terms of July 24, I would argue that if your side is played and persevered with into the Tris, there a much higher likelihood it could consolidate into a side that will potentially win more games and improve more (vs the assumed RD side) as the Tris progress.

Lindommer

Simon Poidevin (60)
Staff member
For somebody with no games under his belt, no form, 1 game under Robbie Deans and a high chance of pulling out of the game with injury, there sure is a lot of Shepherd love floating around.

You may be right R but we need more size in our backs. Giteau and JOC (James O'Connor) are squirts. For me, a fit Shepherd would be a shoe-in at 15 next year.

Scott Allen

Trevor Allan (34)
Would argue that Ma'afu should be deleted as 17, and A Finger come in on the bench as it's critical he's given some time on to see if his potential can shine in a hard Test (and perhaps too as protection if Barnes or Horne perform poorly and the pressure is really on)

Absolutely - I would carry three front rowers only for this weekend due to it being Robinson and Moore's first game back and Slipper would fatigue too starting his first test. If not for those facts, I would have also suggested A. Fainga'a on the bench but would keep Ma'afu over Daley because you need a tight head on the bench.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
Everyone is so desperate for Shepherd to be good because he is the player we need. He is a textbook fullback. He is a man who does not lack size, aggression or consistency.

This being said, he could fall apart at any minute. I think we should of left him the 3Ns for conditioning and then brought him on the spring tour, but that's just me.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
You may be right R but we need more size in our backs. Giteau and JOC (James O'Connor) are squirts. For me, a fit Shepherd would be a shoe-in at 15 next year.

If he plays 15 for the Force, which surely isn't guaranteed?

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Everyone is so desperate for Shepherd to be good because he is the player we need. He is a textbook fullback. He is a man who does not lack size, aggression or consistency.

This being said, he could fall apart at any minute. I think we should of left him the 3Ns for conditioning and then brought him on the spring tour, but that's just me.

A fit Shepherd is too talented to be left out, if he breaks down, you bring on a reserve

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
A fit Shepherd is too talented to be left out, if he breaks down, you bring on a reserve

You may be right. Hopefully he get's run at 15 for the Force next year and Rabbit gets run at 12. This would mean Rabbit could occupy a bench spot in the WC and Shep the 15 jersey.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
This is the 22 I'd like to see named tomorrow:
1. Robinson (we just have to)
2. Moore
3. Slipper
4. Mumm (no other option)
5. Sharpe
6. McCalman (gets the nod over Higgers due to match fitness and being a generally hard worker and great lineout option)
7. Pocock
8. Elsom
9. Genia
10. Cooper
11. Ashley-Cooper
12. Giteau (his last chance. even out of form he deserves the first test of the 3Ns to stake his claim)
13. Horne
14. Shep (to play the same role that CJ plays for the ABs)
15. O'Connor
Res:
16. Fainga'a
17. Daley (covering LH because Robbo is short match fitness)
18. Ma'afu (because you need a reserve TH and so many of the backs can cover many positions well)
19. Simmons (because when there is nobody with experience is worthy you should blood someone)
20. Hodgo (Higgers misses out due to Hodgos versatility)
21. Fainga'a
22. Mitchel

It is so very very raw but for much of it we don't have a choice.

I got more experimental with the forwards then backs as forwards tend to not get individually exposed (their contribution to the game is measured as a unit) and backs do. Fainga'a must get at least 20mins to allow him to press for a start in the future.

TheRiddler

Dave Cowper (27)

The boy Shepherd played for Norths at 15 on Saturday arvo. Had a pretty good game and scored a couple of meat pies. Unfortunately they were against Gordon.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
The boy Shepherd played for Norths at 15 on Saturday arvo. Had a pretty good game and scored a couple of meat pies. Unfortunately they were against Gordon.

Unfortunate because they were Gordon, or because anyone can score against Gordon, so it was not a discriminator?

D

daz

. This would mean Rabbit could occupy a bench spot in the WC and Shep the 15 jersey.

Pretty quick to dismiss JOC (James O'Connor) aren't you? Especially for a guy (Shep) that has far less recent experience and a pretty ordinary injury history. Another year under JOC (James O'Connor)'s belt and he should be a certain starter. I like Shep, but frankly he needs to string a full campaign together before I'd rely on him. If JOC (James O'Connor) is to be a bench warmer at the RWC, I'd suggest he will be rotating with AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper).

DPK

Peter Sullivan (51)
I'm tipping Deans to make some dumb-fuck calls. Like picking Mumm, Giteau and Ma'afu, resting at least one of the key players returning from injury (Robinson I predict).

Also, Deans will continue to refrain from using the bench, and at least one player will get injured for more than two weeks.

I've run out of ARU antidepressants, anyone got some!?

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
I'm tipping Deans to make some dumb-fuck calls. Like picking Mumm, Giteau and Ma'afu, resting at least one of the key players returning from injury (Robinson I predict).

Also, Deans will continue to refrain from using the bench, and at least one player will get injured for more than two weeks.

I've run out of ARU antidepressants, anyone got some!?

You mean Qantas Wallabies Anti-Depressant Elixir, otherwise known as QWADEs. Apparently they have some dodgy side effects...

DPK

Peter Sullivan (51)
You mean Qantas Wallabies Ant-Depressant Elixir, otherwise known as QWADEs. Apparently they have some dodgy side effects...

Yeah, thats the one... last time I mucked up my dosage I woke up with a bunch of laptops in my room...

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Have no idea which Bok team they'll pick ,but its do or die time for our lot. My team for the Wallabies
Kirschner, Habana, Mossie, JdJ, Aplon, Steyn, Pienaar, Spies, Louw, Schalk, Bekker, Matfield, CJ, Smit, Beast.

naza

Alan Cameron (40)

What alternate universe did I wake up in ? What has Shepherd ever done ? He can finish tries on the wing from 20 metres out, that's about it.

Reactions: DPK

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I just don't have a lot of faith in JOC (James O'Connor) at fullback, but unfortunately we're running out of wingers...

One on one in defence he's just not going to make the tackle...

And I think if JOC (James O'Connor) does start at 15 then we'll probably see AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) jumping over the top of him to diffuse the high balls...

Status
Not open for further replies.