• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Wallabies v Springboks, Brisbane.

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

daz

Getting in bold and early this time mate ;-).

Nah, nothing bold about this prediction. If history is any judge, we will smash the Boks in Brissy, get ourselves all knicker-twisted in excitement that the Wobs are the real deal, then begin a 3 month period of wailing and gnashing of teeth in recognition that we are actually pretty shite after all.

I hope I am right about Brissy, and wrong about the rest....

D

daz

Wallaby contracts dictate no dodgy hairdos apparently....wait, have I got that right???

It's ok for G&GR members to looked fucked up due to long nights and too much fast food and beer though, right? No problems? Hmm?

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
It's ok for G&GR members to looked fucked up due to long nights and too much fast food and beer though, right? No problems? Hmm?

My hair is always immaculate no matter the punishment self-inflicted. I am, of course, bald as a cue-ball! Can't vouch for how flash my scalp might look!!

D

daz

My hair is always immaculate no matter the punishment self-inflicted. I am, of course, bald as a cue-ball! Can't vouch for how flash my scalp might look!!

Ha! I tell you what cyclo, if Gagger makes us put any kind of product in our hair/on our scalp prior to posting, we are out of here! Fucking admin. Don't they know we are the stars?!

I won't be hanging around. After the RWC11 posting reviews I'll be looking for opportunities to post in France or Japan...

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
We are actually looking at using some of the donated money to bring in some high-profile posters on Rugby League forums. We may have to make space for them though, so that may force a few of you to those France and Japanese forums- apparently the lifestyle is pretty nice over there, although the language barrier can be a bit tricky...

DPK

Peter Sullivan (51)
I would pick Duvenhage and Sarel Pretorius long before Vermaak who is an error prone.

Hougaard will be the long term successor for PdV if the grapevine is to be believed

At this stage we won't see any new scrummies so all we can hope for is that Pienaar starts

Francois Hougaard? Well, he needs to start playing scrummy at the Super 15 level I guess.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
I look at the teams that people are trotting out and get depressed; not because the players are so bad, but because they are so inexperienced and not wise enough or seasoned enough - and most often all three.

I doubt if any player we nominate will not give his all but often that isn't enough. The 2nd test against England and the one against Ireland showed how much more these players must improve, and improve they will. If we lose in Brisbane we will give a subsequent forensic analysis of this player and that player missing 3 tackles or dropping 2 passes, but the underlying reason may be a lack of seasoning of mind and body.

If we win it will probably be because of moments of brilliance and I will be the first one out of my armchair shaking my first and yahooing. But behind that briliance will likely be some problems of substance.

Win or lose this game or the next etc we shouldn't blame the players or coaches too much for some of the problems we will see. I have no great solutions as the calendar is against us. Put the same 22 players in the same team two years from now except for the few oldies and you'd see a mature team playing more maturely for longer in the game.

It won't happen of course: there will be players returning and different players for other reasons, but you know what I mean.

I hope.

PS I hope that Hodgson gets a gig, and not just for 5 minutes. He may not be the most skilful or athletic player but he's exactly the kind of player we need.

D

daz

We are actually looking at using some of the donated money to bring in some high-profile posters on Rugby League forums. We may have to make space for them though, so that may force a few of you to those France and Japanese forums- apparently the lifestyle is pretty nice over there, although the language barrier can be a bit tricky...

I don't get it. I've been a good poster in these forums. I have provided some wit where required and reasonable debate as well. Suddenly I make one or two bad posts that don't meet your high standards and/or get involved in a small legal matter (of which I am not convicted) and you want to put me on the scrap heap? I missed an easy reply dead in front of the forum that could have won an argument, and just because I put a smiley in my next post you think I don't care about G&GR?

Well, when your high profile league recruits fail to impress and return to the mungo forums within 2-3 years leaving a problem with posting frequency, you will only have yourselves to blame....You may even consider a foreign webmaster the best option to turn things around....

W

WB3

As for moving Giteau. Nope. He is lucky to even be considered for the 22. His form is terrible and has been since 3N started last year. Goal kicking cannot make up for that. It should be of note that Carter missed how many kicks at goal last night, 5? and the ABs still won comfortably due to superior attack and scoring tries. If Giteau had landed the kick against England to win the game it would have been a travesty because they were no where near the better team. Giteau's kicking isn't as important IMO as an effective attack and he just does not provide that. 13 is also the hardest backline defensive position and requires an experienced hand. I note that Horne missed more tackles in two games with Giteau on his inside than he did in all other games (including S14) this season combined. Perhaps Horne is uncomfortable with Giteau at 12 defensively as well as in attack.

I think we are agreeing violently in part - I don't care much about his kicking, nor do I think he is in good enough form to really warrant selection at the moment, but I would like to try him there in a game of little consequence to see if worked. Like you I think his attack is currently ineffective and I question whether he is really a playmaker, my suggestion of moving him to 13 is based on this - that he is a good ball runner but an average playmaker. I prefer Horne at 13 anyway both for his attitude and direct play. I'd noticed he'd missed a couple of tackles but assumed that was just because of the step up to playing Tests. If Giteau is really combining that poorly with both his inside (Cooper) and outside (Horne) players then he needs to be benched/dropped.

Langthorne

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Nah, nothing bold about this prediction. If history is any judge, we will smash the Boks in Brissy, get ourselves all knicker-twisted in excitement that the Wobs are the real deal, then begin a 3 month period of wailing and gnashing of teeth in recognition that we are actually pretty shite after all.

I hope I am right about Brissy, and wrong about the rest....

My fear is that you are wrong about this week.

If the Boks persist with the poor selections (not a certainty), then all the Wallabies would need to do is replicate the amazing aggression and dominance shown by the AB forwards. So far they have shown nothing that even comes close. We can but hope that the return of Robinson and Moore, plus the inclusion of Higginbotham (again a bit of an unknown) will help with this. There is also the issue around who will play 12, and the speed bump defence at 10. If all of that can be sorted out then why not?

Scotty

David Codey (61)
Won't happen. Sharpe will start with either Mumm or Simmons beside him, preferably Simmons with Mumm on the bench.

Simmons was named to start for the Bank vs Jeeps on saturday, but I didn't see him out there (was a little drunk though). Anyone know what happened? Reg?

Good win (actually good 3 wins in a row on the main field) by the GPS boys on saturday.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
Planning on going to the open training at Ballymore this afternoon to see what the boys are up to, so will report back tomorrow.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
Francois Hougaard? Well, he needs to start playing scrummy at the Super 15 level I guess.

Played eight Super games in 2008 at 9.

HE is first and foremost a scrummie and I firmly believe he will be one of the best in future.

He is playing wing for the simple reason that he is quick enough.

Crow

Jimmy Flynn (14)
If the Boks persist with the poor selections (not a certainty), then all the Wallabies would need to do is replicate the amazing aggression and dominance shown by the AB forwards. So far they have shown nothing that even comes close. We can but hope that the return of Robinson and Moore, plus the inclusion of Higginbotham (again a bit of an unknown) will help with this.
I fear that I will watch yet another game, screaming at the forwards to "Get in there". That's something for the wife to look forward to :(

#1 Tah

Chilla Wilson (44)
Seems to be a confirmation then. If we can continue to play people like Brown why not recall Kepu who has been playing fairly well for Randwick in place of Ma'afu or Weeks (who appears out of favour). Not that I'm biased or anything.

Kepu was scrummed off the park by Tilse a few weeks ago.

DPK

Peter Sullivan (51)
Played eight Super games in 2008 at 9.

HE is first and foremost a scrummie and I firmly believe he will be one of the best in future.

He is playing wing for the simple reason that he is quick enough.

Yeah, but I said Super 15 meaning he needs to get some time there next year.

Aussie D

Desmond Connor (43)
Like you I think his attack is currently ineffective and I question whether he is really a playmaker, my suggestion of moving him to 13 is based on this - that he is a good ball runner but an average playmaker. I prefer Horne at 13 anyway both for his attitude and direct play. I'd noticed he'd missed a couple of tackles but assumed that was just because of the step up to playing Tests. If Giteau is really combining that poorly with both his inside (Cooper) and outside (Horne) players then he needs to be benched/dropped.

I have said it many times in the past but will repeat that I think Gits would make a good fullback. That way the wallabies can continue with their 2 playmakers (10 & 15 instead of 10 &12), Gits will have space to run and have opportunities at a fractured defense in the event of a poor kick/chase and the Wallabies can select someone at 12 who can get the team over the advantage line.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
Yeah, but I said Super 15 meaning he needs to get some time there next year.

Unlikely unless there is a clear directive and agreement to rest Fourie du Preez which I doubt beacuse it will be his last year in Super15.

Status
Not open for further replies.