• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Wallabies v Springboks, Brisbane.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reddy!

Bob Davidson (42)
Should we expect a team similar to this?

1. Robinson
2. Moore
3. Ma'afu
4. Mumm
5. Sharpe
6. Elsom
7. Pocock
8. Brown

9. Genia
10. Cooper
11. Mitchell
12. Giteau
13. Horne
14. AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)
15. J'OC

Or Is Robbie Deans going to take some more risks with the back row and backline selections?

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
Should we expect a team similar to this?

1. Robinson
2. Moore
3. Ma'afu
4. Mumm
5. Sharpe
6. Elsom
7. Pocock
8. Brown

9. Genia
10. Cooper
11. Mitchell
12. Giteau
13. Horne
14. AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)
15. J'OC

Or Is Robbie Deans going to take some more risks with the back row and backline selections?

I think that is indeed what we will see, yet again. If there is not a massive improvement in performance (regardless of the result) I state here and now I will be calling for a review into the coaching and selection of the Wallabies (not that anybody gives a &*^%% what I say of course). If Deans cannot be sacked then Williams and Graham have to go and Nucifora losing any input into selections. Replaced by Foley as pigs coach and Mooney for the backs.

Again rumors reported in the SMH that several senior players are fed up and are "waiting" for the RWC to be over so they can chase Yen or Euros. If that is the case then maybe they need to be cut free now, and if they show massive commitment and form beyond those who replace them in the Wallabies then and only then can they have a go at the RWC.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Mitchell and Shepherd have officially been brought into the squad. Cummins will keep training but for whatever reason is not officially part of the Wallaby squad.

Wallaby contracts dictate no dodgy hairdos apparently....wait, have I got that right???

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
The lack of FdP is having a major impact on Bokke performance. Where is the much vaunted depth? ? ?

Not being selected? There are three potentially great scrummies in SA. PdV thought he could get away with Januarie at 9 and Jdv at 14 until FdP and JP Pietersen are back. It's nabbed him in the arse.

DPK

Peter Sullivan (51)
Not being selected? There are three potentially great scrummies in SA. PdV thought he could get away with Januarie at 9 and Jdv at 14 until FdP and JP Pietersen are back. It's nabbed him in the arse.

Vermaak for 9.

W

WB3

I won't be brave like some others and make any prediction until we see what 22 is named. I have a sinking feeling it will be more of the same and if that is the case I expect the same level of performance and either a close win or a big loss.

I hope to see Chisholm & Brown gone, Sharpe on the bench, Giteau on the bench and starts for A. Fainga'a, Simmons and Higgenbum.

My prefered 22
1. Fatcat
2. Moore
3. Ma'afu (only because Slipper can cover both sides and is more important from the bench)
4. Mumm
5. Simmons
6. Higginbum
7. Pocock
8. Elsom
9. Genia
10. Cooper
11. Mitchell
12. Fainga'a
13. Horne
14. Shepherd
15. AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)

16. S. Fainga'a
17. Slipper
18. Sharpe
19. Hodgeson (far more versatile than Brown and much more application)
20. Giteau
21. Beale
22. JOC (James O'Connor)

I like this team except for Mumm, who hasn't particularly impressed me this year and Maafu (I see the sense in your selection, but I wish there was a better alternative... Baxter anyone?) I sure hope Vickerman comes back for the world cup next year, he would really improve our second row.

disco

Chilla Wilson (44)
I can't see Brown making the 22, I think Deans will go with Higginbotham at 8 because he won't want to move Elsom.

I think Cameron Shepherd will definitely start, Giteau will hold onto the 12 jersey this week but I think Deans will go with Barnes at 12 next week against the AB's.

This is the team I think Deans will pick this week for the Bokkies.

1.Robinson 2.Moore 3.Ma'afuu 4.Mumm 5.Sharpe 6.Elsom 7.Pocock 8.Higginbotham 9.Genia 10.Cooper 11.Shepherd 12.Giteau 13.Horne 14.AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) 15.JOC (James O'Connor)

Res: 16.Fainga'a 17.Slipper 18.Simmons 19.Hodgson 20.McCalman/Barnes 21.Burgess 22.Beale

Talk that Deans may go 5 forwards if that's the case then I think Beale will get the nod over Barnes.

#1 Tah

Chilla Wilson (44)
I am going up to Brissi for this one and staying in the same hotel as the players so they better win otherwise it will be a long weekend.

Also there was a post in the "Everything Else" board about how Aussie fans never sing waltzing matilda during the games anymore. I suggest that all G&GR members at the game burst into song at the 16th minute.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
I like this team except for Mumm, who hasn't particularly impressed me this year and Maafu (I see the sense in your selection, but I wish there was a better alternative... Baxter anyone?) I sure hope Vickerman comes back for the world cup next year, he would really improve our second row.

Baxter is at least 7 weeks away with a neck injury. Palmer I have been told has a foot injury (any Southern boys here to confirm/deny same). Unfortunately it is a case of only three options Weeks, Ma'afu, Slipper. As Deans for some reason played Weeks out of position at LHP and he got destroyed against England there it comes down to Slipper and Ma'afu. As I said Slipper gets the bench spot because he can play LHP, even though I rate him higher than Ma'afu.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
Wasnt playing this weekend

Seems to be a confirmation then. If we can continue to play people like Brown why not recall Kepu who has been playing fairly well for Randwick in place of Ma'afu or Weeks (who appears out of favour). Not that I'm biased or anything.

Scorz

Syd Malcolm (24)
Pretty sure the Wobblers will win and set the hysteria in motion leading into the Melbourne game. 27-16 in my tea leaves.

W

WB3

Baxter is at least 7 weeks away with a neck injury. Palmer I have been told has a foot injury (any Southern boys here to confirm/deny same). Unfortunately it is a case of only three options Weeks, Ma'afu, Slipper. As Deans for some reason played Weeks out of position at LHP and he got destroyed against England there it comes down to Slipper and Ma'afu. As I said Slipper gets the bench spot because he can play LHP, even though I rate him higher than Ma'afu.

Thats a bummer about Baxter. As for the whole Slipper/Maafu thing, I would rather have the best player run on. If required, Slipper can shift to LHP to cover an injury to B.R. It is unlikely to have both he and Robinson receive an injury in the same game, and whether or not he starts on the bench, both he and Robinson would have to be injured for us to be without a LHP, so I believe the selection decision should come down to who is the more capable player. My vote (and I believe yours) is with Slipper.

From WAY out in the left field - has anyone thought about perhaps moving Giteau to outside centre for a game? Whilst I'm a massive fan of Horne, it'd be a great experiment to see what he can do with some more space. He really is an awesome ball runner and is brilliantly gifted in beating fractured defenses, so I can see him running wider. I think having him as a playmaker seems to be basically a ploy to get the ball in his hands more anyway, so why not put him in a position where his running skills can really come to the fore and play another running centre like Fainga'a inside him. I reckon it'd be magic if it worked (and shithouse if it didn't). Might be worth trying in a European tour match or something (maybe in a midweek game?).

AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) at inside centre could be an okay experiment too, though I love the way he plays fullback (and wing... and outside).

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
Thats a bummer about Baxter. As for the whole Slipper/Maafu thing, I would rather have the best player run on. If required, Slipper can shift to LHP to cover an injury to B.R. It is unlikely to have both he and Robinson receive an injury in the same game, and whether or not he starts on the bench, both he and Robinson would have to be injured for us to be without a LHP, so I believe the selection decision should come down to who is the more capable player. My vote (and I believe yours) is with Slipper.

From WAY out in the left field - has anyone thought about perhaps moving Giteau to outside centre for a game? Whilst I'm a massive fan of Horne, it'd be a great experiment to see what he can do with some more space. He really is an awesome ball runner and is brilliantly gifted in beating fractured defenses, so I can see him running wider. I think having him as a playmaker seems to be basically a ploy to get the ball in his hands more anyway, so why not put him in a position where his running skills can really come to the fore and play another running centre like Fainga'a inside him. I reckon it'd be magic if it worked (and shithouse if it didn't). Might be worth trying in a European tour match or something (maybe in a midweek game?).

AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) at inside centre could be an okay experiment too, though I love the way he plays fullback (and wing... and outside).

I would be happy with Slipper to start, but I also think let the overweight Ma'afu run his gut off for 40 min and replace him at the bell in any event and come home strong with Slipper.

As for moving Giteau. Nope. He is lucky to even be considered for the 22. His form is terrible and has been since 3N started last year. Goal kicking cannot make up for that. It should be of note that Carter missed how many kicks at goal last night, 5? and the ABs still won comfortably due to superior attack and scoring tries. If Giteau had landed the kick against England to win the game it would have been a travesty because they were no where near the better team. Giteau's kicking isn't as important IMO as an effective attack and he just does not provide that. 13 is also the hardest backline defensive position and requires an experienced hand. I note that Horne missed more tackles in two games with Giteau on his inside than he did in all other games (including S14) this season combined. Perhaps Horne is uncomfortable with Giteau at 12 defensively as well as in attack.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
Vermaak for 9.

I would pick Duvenhage and Sarel Pretorius long before Vermaak who is an error prone.

Hougaard will be the long term successor for PdV if the grapevine is to be believed

At this stage we won't see any new scrummies so all we can hope for is that Pienaar starts

Status
Not open for further replies.