• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Wallabies V Samoa - Test 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Playing a second string side. Forgoing easy penalties.... Could be interpreted as overconfidence or disrespect.

Playing a second string side was a bad move. It had nothing to do with the opposition however. Robbie wanted to rest the Reds and try out combinations, nothing to do with overconfidence. I for one predicted this result.

W

waves

This is a great reason why you should pick your best possible team every time. Next week our "best" team will struggle with their combinations in a match that really counts.

No standouts for me so far but I have a question about rules.
When Gits attempted his first penalty the 7 for Samoa ran about 20m towards him, all others were still as it was a penalty, not a conversion. What is the ruling on this? is he allowed to move, if not should the attempt be retaken?

I agree with you to a point I think you need to play your 2nd and 3rd string players especially with the World Cup coming up its important to give players the opportunity to tough it out, Can't expect them to perform without experience.

I think we will be alright very rusty at times but it takes time to jel. Giteau needs to run the show more and Phipps needs protection around the breakdown Samoa great with counter rucking. Dan Vickerman and Beau Robinson to come on soon and make the world of difference at the breakdown.

Swarley

Bob Loudon (25)
A few first-half notes:

-Kepu: Coming back from injury so didn't expect much, a few good involvements but nothing amazing.
-Moore: Consistent throwing, spot-on each time.
-Alexander: Worst on field. Hasn't done anything in open play and is getting rolled in the scrum. Get Baxter in there.
-Elsom: Playing really well for someone with one match under his belt since November. Looking for support in attack and making some good runs.
-Hodgson: Ineffective at the breakdown, resulting in a lot of turnovers. Being stood up in a test that could decide whether he goes to the RWC.
-McCalman: Best forward on the field. Hard runs, high work-rate in the rucks and providing ample support.
-Phipps and Giteau: No chemistry whatsoever, looks to be a complete communication block between them. No direction or awareness.
-Davies: Out of position in defense costing a try, blew an opportunity to score, a really off-day.

light

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Kepu, Ioane, McCalman and Sharpe would be the only one's in my Wallabies 1st XV. This is shocking so far.

A

allitsab

Oh it's getting awful now.

Did anyone else notice, when they cut to the Samoan coach, that he was using a pair of sports-ears? I wonder if he was listening to the refs, or the fox commentary :p

M

Motorboater

Feel sorry for Phipps. His performance is a product of how we're going at the breakdown. The Diggers try was all him, reassessed his options and held the pass up nicely as soon as he saw the Samoans sprinting up.

We need to commit more to the breakdown.

light

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Yay. Subs! Go Robinson. Time for Genia and Beale now.

What's with running out of our own 22, does no-one have the balls to kick it?

Status
Not open for further replies.