• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Wallabies v Georgia 20 July - Allianz Stadium 3.45PM

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
I like Leota. He is big and strong but in the past he has been a bit loose in the carry. He is a good lineout target and can make do in the second row if need be. It really depends on what Schmidt is looking for. Since he picked Wright at 6 initially ahead of some more robust options it may not be what he is looking for? We will see.
Is he available?

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
He's yet to show it at Test level though
Agreed, but he has shown more "test match" stuff at Super Rugby level than most of the other options.

I would put him the only impact back rower we have on the Tier directly below Valetini, the other options are either less effective or offer different skill sets

KOB1987

John Eales (66)
I like Leota. He is big and strong but in the past he has been a bit loose in the carry. He is a good lineout target and can make do in the second row if need be. It really depends on what Schmidt is looking for. Since he picked Wright at 6 initially ahead of some more robust options it may not be what he is looking for? We will see.
Is he available?
Not until the RC I think

Highlander35

Steve Williams (59)
I may be misremembering, but I feel that both Rennie and Jones have selected Leota in pretty much every test he's been available for from debut. He must be doing something right.

From Debut (inclusive of debut):

2/4 in 2021 Rugby Championship (Misses Home to RSA and away to Argentina)
4/4 in 2021 EOYT
3/3 in 2022 July Internationals
4/5 in 2022 Rugby Championship (Misses away to Argentina)
Ruptured Achilles in MCG Bledisloe- Misses Last Game of RC, 2022 EOYT and 2023 Super Rugby Season
4/5 in 2023 Rugby Championship/Bledisloe/France Warm Up (Misses Away to RSA)
4/4 in 2023 RWC

Prior to this series that's 21/25 possible Tests played, presuming there weren't other injuries keeping him out of any other matchday sides.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
The other options haven't really had same opportunity yet to be fair. Leota is a decent player, but he's not just going to turn into Owen Finnegan

Outside of the current picks in the backrow - Wright, McReight, Valetini and Cale... I'm not sure who these other available, potentially better options are that haven't had the same opportunities?

Tomthumb

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
Outside of the current picks in the backrow - Wright, McReight, Valetini and Cale... I'm not sure who these other available, potentially better options are that haven't had the same opportunities?
The discussion was around dropping Cale for Leota

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
The discussion was around dropping Cale for Leota

They are different players, so as much as I'm a big fan of Cale I wouldn't be upset if Schmidt opted for Leota on the bench, who I would personally prefer to the other options in the squad... but I don't think he's fit anyways.

In saying that, I would like to see Cale come off the bench to see how he fronts up against the Georgian forwards.

LeCheese

Jim Lenehan (48)
As @Joe Blow said, Leota isn't in the squad (was listed as recovering from injury). Has something changed? The chances of him getting a call up week-of are probably next to none.

Rugby Head

Watty Friend (18)
These are the players not considered for the tests, doubt anything has changed.

Unavailable for selection
Recovering from injury

Angus Bell

Harry Johnson-Holmes

Max Jorgensen

Rob Leota

Lachlan Lonergan

David Porecki

Blake Schoupp