• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Wallabies v Georgia 20 July - Allianz Stadium 3.45PM

Homer

Fred Wood (13)
Surely giving this game to Townsville, Newcastle etc would be a chance of getting a similar crowd and expose more of the country to Test rugby.
Apparently, they tried Newcastle and somewhere else but they were already booked. Blue Tongue Stadium (or whatever it is called now) at Gosford would've been good. Rat Park even better!

Drew

Bob Davidson (42)
The box kick was kicked back by the Welsh winger, and the Welsh chaser were then penalised for advancing in front of the kicker.
Just went back and watched and you’re right, the ordinary box kick did result in a penalty. It wasn’t a good kick though even if it did result in a point scoring opportunity. And yes, I did mistake that one for the one which was from the resulting kick off, where Daugunu chased hard, but was alone and the catcher passed it on and they made good metres. I understand the box kick is a necessary evil in the present game, it’s just that it has to be implemented well.

Strewthcobber

Steve Williams (59)
Every coach in World Rugby would rather the opposition had the ball on the 40m line, over us having the ball on the 25m line.

The kick itself is secondary to achieving that outcome.

They trust the defence, and a turnover/penalty to the defence is the more likely outcome, especially when a team is chasing the game.

Both of Whites box kicks resulted in us getting the ball back eventually, with more advantageous territory

Tomthumb

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
Schmidt made a concerted point in the post game press conference after the 1st test around kicking away too much ball in the last 20 minutes and allowing Wales back into the game

The execution of White's kicks were poor, and any decent team would have made them pay. It's why the process and execution is more important than the result. Only reason they worked is that Wales are just absolutely clueless in every sense of the word

Ignoto

Greg Davis (50)
Agree 100%. Hamish Stewart is in the squad. Give him a go.
We lack size and penetration in our backline and you lot want to swap the one of the only two (Flipio being the other) that actually straightens the line? Hamish is a distributor and a solid defensive option, but he's not the one turning shoulders that frees up the outside backs.

The only back I would be looking to change in Noah for Donaldson.

scrans21

Sydney Middleton (9)
1. Hodgman
2. Faesslar
3. Tupou
4. Blyth
5. Salakai-Loto
6. Wright (c) (Hooper if he is unfit)
7. McReight
8. Valetini
9. Gordon
10. Donaldson
11. Daugunu
12. Paisami
13. Ikitau (Flook if he is unfit)
14. Kellaway
15. Wright
16. Pollard/Nasser
17. Kailea
18. Ala'alatoa
19. Frost
20. Hooper/Wilson/Cale
21. McDermott
22. Lolesio/Lynagh
23. Flook (Pietsch/Lancaster if Ikitau is out)

Don't fuck around too much with the side given this is the last game before the RC. Slipper deserves a rest, so Hodgman straight in. I'm keen to see what Donaldson can do so bring him in, and Ikitau and Wright come straight in if they're fit. Also I'm curious to see how Blyth can go if he is given a starting jersey, and this seems like the best week to do it/

The Phoenix

Sydney Middleton (9)
Hamish is a distributor and a solid defensive option, but he's not the one turning shoulders that frees up the outside backs.
There has to be a reason he is still with the squad and hasn't been released to play club rugby so I wouldn't be at all surprised if he gets a run this weekend. Plus he seems to fit the Schmidt mould - no-nonsense, plenty of hard work off the ball and a superb defender. Can also cover 12, 10 and 15, and probably 13 in a pinch.

Yoda

Syd Malcolm (24)
That makes one think he will lean towards Lynagh if neither Donaldson or Lolesio stand up.
So Joe Blow …. what if wafer thin Lynagh ‘doesn’t standup’? For me, Lynagh is a year away at least from serious Test rugby. He’s had 20 mins. Starting against the AB’s or Saffers it would be duty of care on Schmidt.

Ignoto

Greg Davis (50)
With Len out, we're pretty short changed at dedicated centres especially when Foketi took some annual leave.

I'm well aware of the type of player Hamish is. Unfortunately, I don't see a place for him at 12 next to a Noah or a Donaldson when you have Flook, Wright and Kellaway outside of them.

Only way Hamish gets into the 15 is if you move Hunter out wide one.

Homer

Fred Wood (13)
I thought Foketi would be right up JS ally. Bigger body, great leg drive in contact and decent ball skills.
What happened to the Rebels inside center, is he back with the squad?

Hogan

Allen Oxlade (6)
If Schmidt selects Donaldson at 10 this week like many are suggesting, I’d love to see Hamish selected at 12. They formed a terrific combination at the Force this year.

Hamish is one of the best defensive centres running around, has a clever kicking game and can act as a second playmaker alongside the 10. It would give the team another ball player and more variety in attack imo.

Homer

Fred Wood (13)
Wright and Ikitau are back from injury so you would assume they will get time. Lynagh or Donaldson in at 5/8.
But in the pack, Tupou needs game time and the hookers are all already getting a run. Frost should get a go somewhere but does WIlliams get a rest or LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto)?
I think they might give Wilson a run so they can protect Valetini for the SA game.

Wallaby coaches have screwed up in the past with mass changes for Tier 2 nations and maintaining winning form for JS will be essential, so i think a lot of the QLD'ers (Hodgman, Nonggorr, Smith etc) will play Wales instead.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Though I'm hoping that George Blake gets a Jersey with the Reds. Which means one of Faessler or Nasser either wears Gold or has a break.

Last edited by a moderator: