• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Wallabies v Georgia 20 July - Allianz Stadium 3.45PM

Brumby Runner

Jason Little (69)
For all the dire warnings beforehand about the strength of Georgia's set piece and attacking mauls, I thought the Wallabies pack got the better of them right throughout the match. While the Georgians stayed in the game on the scoreboard, it never really looked like the Wallabies would lose that match, thanks to the pack as a whole.

Within the pack, Valetini, Ala'alatoa, McReight and Frost were absolute stars. Wilson, Kailea and Pollard were all strong and made some very good contributions.

The backline showed more in attack than in the two previous games but we are severely lacking pace in the two starting wingers. Tom Wright was way off his game and while some posters are critical of his performance it doesn't make sense that he goes from the swiftest runner in the side to running almost at snail pace unless there is a reason we are not privy to. Perhaps carrying an injury or suffering an illness? Let's see what comes out in the wash before dumping him over one ordinary performance.

Wilson

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
I think part of Wright's poor game was the same problem he has at the Brumbies when playing with Toole and Muirhead. He starts to take too much on himself without a second fullback in the back 3 and it ends up throwing him off his natural game. By the time Kellaway came on today I think Wright was already on tilt, in the way confidence players sometime get when things haven't gone to plan.

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
How many is too many? How many did Pollard give away?
1721464820112.png

According to rugbypass

stillmissit

Peter Fenwicke (45)
I think part of Wright's poor game was the same problem he has at the Brumbies when playing with Toole and Muirhead. He starts to take too much on himself without a second fullback in the back 3 and it ends up throwing him off his natural game. By the time Kellaway came on today I think Wright was already on tilt, in the way confidence players sometime get when things haven't gone to plan.
I reiterate my point when many said T. Wright is a great fullback. By my guess, he let in 3 tries and was often outpaced and the try by Georgia showed him plodding back until he saw it was going to be a problem then couldn't catch him and in the other try he just missed him cold...Back to the wing assuming he is fast enough.

A mutterer

Chilla Wilson (44)
bobby v can do no wrong at the moment. the pack won the game tonight which is nice to see. mcreight looked way more dangerous, and that back 3 combo break down the left was *chef's kiss*. thought wilson did well, I liked his runs cutting back in, made some good metres doing so.

thought tate's strengths and weaknesses were on full display tonight. his attacking around the ruck kept the georgians honest, but some of his passing had team mates reaching over their head.

suspect the backs will have lowlights reel on repeat from joe next week.

but 3 from 3, can't complain too much, especially as we're 4 on the trot now.

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
I reiterate my point when many said T. Wright is a great fullback. By my guess, he let in 3 tries and was often outpaced and the try by Georgia showed him plodding back until he saw it was going to be a problem then couldn't catch him and in the other try he just missed him cold...Back to the wing assuming he is fast enough.
At least two of those tries were down Daugunu's wing while the Red card was in effect. Your rugby analysis in this case is lacking.

Derpus

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Physically witnessing two Wallaby wins within three weeks is basically a miracle these days. So I'm pretty happy.

I thought the whole pack went reasonably well without achieving complete ascendancy, although I remain to be convinced by Frost's physicality. I live in constant fear of an injury to Valetini or McReight who are basically the difference between us and Wales/Georgia. Wilson made a lot of ground through the middle and linked well with McReight but I still don't really see how he and Valetini work together.

Our back three were garbage. We had a couple of decent attacking plays but man they cocked up just about everything else. In contract Georgia's back three kept them in the contest with some exceptional play. Really impressive defence and counter-attack from a side mostly known for scrumming (though I'm guessing this is a very outdated stereotype).

Halves pretty average. Thought McDermott had some nice touches mixed in with some poor delivery. Donaldson showed none of his improvement at the Force. Really, painfully poor. Noah not much better in limited time.

Edit: also, we clearly went out there with more attacking intent. I don't think it worked very well. I think we look better playing the simpler game off Gordon/White at 9.

Last edited:

Strewthcobber

Steve Williams (59)
I was in the cheap seats amongst an absolutely mysterfied crowd.

Safe to say the casual Wallaby supporters have not kept up with WR (World Rugby) changes to the 20min red card, the goal line drop out, why the maul try was disallowed and about 10 other decisions

Having said that, everyone seemed to have a pretty good time.

Kudos to the Wallabies, still out there signing autographs at least a half hour after full time

Sword of Justice

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Thought our decision making was really poor today. When Georgia came within a score we’d just opted against 4 shots at goal from penalties. Not enough respect. I genuinely think if we’d taken them we would have ended up scoring as many or more tries as we did anyway, such as the pressure would have been on the opposition.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
I thought that Tate was super speedy and as accurate as you have a right to call for. I don't know until the second half? When White came on, he "did a Tate" picking up the pace and pushing the game forward. I'm not complaining about either and the speed of service compared to what we have dealt with sometimes (a lot?) is a huge step forward. I suspect that Gordon sets a standard but that both White and Tate can do more if they actually work through what is needed.

I think Daugunu is an utter star really performing in the first half. No, I'm not complaining about the card or the upgrade. OTOH I don't think Wright is the super star that so many claim he is. Give me Kellaway. Nor do I think we aught continue much with Donaldson. Sorry to his fans. I can see why people are supporting Lancaster. We should find more opportunities for him. Generally though right now I'd prefer Daugunu at 11. [Edit Wright can have 14, just keep him away from fullback, or find someone faster.]

I love that our maul was backed, often, against fricken Georgia. And it came off. That game was won through the forwards.

Frost. McReight. Valetini. AAAAAAA. Kailea. Awesome. Add in Hooper, Wilson

For Georgia. I was really looking forward to seeing these guys banking on being really excited by a new talent building in world rugby. Mostly I was.

Hodgman, oh yeah.

BDA

Jim Lenehan (48)
Just finished the game.
classic rocks and diamonds performance from the wallabies. The positive for me was that i thought, at times, we played the best rugby we have in more than 18 months. The real postive was the forward pack (in particular the back 5). The set piece was solid and the backrow was outstanding. For me wilson and frost should both start in the RC. donaldson probably did enough to keep the 10 jersey...for now...ikitua was good in his return and hopefully will be better with some game time.

All in all i definitely feel we're moving in the right direction. still a work in progress and i dont have great hope for the RC this year but this is the first time in a while iv seen enough to think we've got the ingredients the build towards the lions tour / world cup (particularly given that many of the 23 are still getting introduced to test rugby and we have guys like tupou / bell / slipper / bpa to add to this pack)