• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Wallabies v France 1st test - Suncorp 7 June

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pfitzy

Nathan Sharpe (72)
If Melbourne gets 30k it should be considered a success. Shame AAMI park isn't a tad bigger or they could have hosted it there

biggsy

Chilla Wilson (44)
Felt like the wallabies scored more tires last night then they ever did under deans.
I thought it was a good display of rugby and they did what they needed to do and put big points on the French.
Hooper will only get better, but if he continues to be wallabies captain he need to respect green and gold and pull his socks up, It's my pet hate....

KOB1987

John Eales (66)
Nah, Wallabies have been good but the froggies are playing shit. If you saw the English defence earlier, there are much sterner tests to come.

Yeah the Frogs didn't play very well but the Wobs have had a habit over the last decade of lowering themselves to the level of the opposition and losing the game - Samoa and Scotland come to mind mainly. Last night they stayed composed albeit a bit rusty, and us as spectators were able to enjoy the expansive game they played rather than the 80 minutes of frustration that we have become accustomed to.

So yes, there's many more mountains to climb between now and next year but it is already feeling different, an indication I feel that we are well and truly on our climb out of that dark period in Australian rugby.

Pfitzy

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Yeah the Frogs didn't play very well but the Wobs have had a habit over the last decade of lowering themselves to the level of the opposition and losing the game - Samoa and Scotland come to mind mainly. Last night they stayed composed albeit a bit rusty, and us as spectators were able to enjoy the expansive game they played rather than the 80 minutes of frustration that we have become accustomed to.

Bingo. Just for once we ignored what the opponent was doing and fucking delivered.

Melbourne Terrace

Darby Loudon (17)
If Melbourne gets 30k it should be considered a success. Shame AAMI park isn't a tad bigger or they could have hosted it there
Melbourne never gets more than that unless Australia play New Zealand or the lions, both of which have significant away fans and likely not to come back for a decade. All games should be at aami park for the amount they charge

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Good win, but the French were really average

I think Link will be working very hard this week on defensive alignments and getting the clean out accurate. Too much rubbish ball, too many french forwards walking through the middle of the ruck.

We had two lessor work rate tight forwards out there in Simmons and Kepu who both need to do more and be more accurate in what they do. Is Alexander back?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
I found it interesting that Sam Carter was given MoTM. Think that's a classic case of favouring the debutant, which happens all the time. Don't get me wrong I thought it was a good effort but far from the best out there.

There were three clear standouts for me- Folau, Slipper and White.

KOB1987

John Eales (66)
I found it interesting that Sam Carter was given MoTM. Think that's a classic case of favouring the debutant, which happens all the time. Don't get me wrong I thought it was a good effort but far from the best out there.

and Foley

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
All 3 of them plus Hooper and Fardy were the standouts for mine..........

But To'omua was my MOTM, as he was involved in so many key moments in the game..........

Aside from having a hand in a few tries (including one himself), he made so many big important tackles that helped to shut down the French for the first hour of the game..........

Tomikin

David Codey (61)
Some people are forgetting that Link isn't just picking the very very best team he can. He's trying to grow the odd player,seeing if they can improve and or suit test rugby. Paddy Ryan is one of those!

And I'd like to point out that the way the forwards played today...Will Genia would have cut them to ribbons if he had played! 100% Nick White was good..but genia is nearly Always Great in games like these! He'll be back very soon I'd say! ;)
I call Bullshit Genia has shown little this year to say he'd have been better then White..

Sent from my HTC_0P6A1 using Tapatalk

KOB1987

John Eales (66)
I call Bullshit Genia has shown little this year to say he'd have been better then White..

Sent from my HTC_0P6A1 using Tapatalk

you are both right I reckon, White was very good and it's a big call to say Genia would have been better but I think Genia will be 21 next game..

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member

well, I thought he was bloody good, plenty of quality in his work and few errors

Pete King

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Well Well very promising kick off to the international season and RWC assault from the Wallabies last night. As suggested above the deft touches and hard running from To'omua was a highlight. Folau has to be the most lethal attacking weapon in world rugby. AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) maintained his solid form, Tevita white and Foley notched up solid performances.

The most pleasing thing for me was the physicality and defence of the piggies. My man of the Match was Fardy, if you watch closely he was absolutely bashing blokes. Slipper was enormous and Carter showed that he is a good addition. Tatafu has really found his mojo in the last three weeks with his lineout throwing, he is on the money everytime, where is three weeks ago it was a deadset lottery. He was also great around the field as always.

Areas for improvement - I think the french got some really good impact from there bench with the young hooker. I think the addition of Ryan, Cowan and horwill if anything dismantled our strong scrum and failed to add any bite. I would love to see these three replaced by Benny A , Sio and skelton for game 2.

Without sounding too much like a queensland basher Simmons turned over the ball a couple of times from restarts and gave a dumb lineout penalty. Aside from that he was pretty good and our lineout worked well. So him to stay with the only three changes mentioned above.

vidiot

John Solomon (38)
Simmons and Kepu who both need to do more and be more accurate
Those "clean-outs" where Simmons wanders into the ruck, then notices where the opposition forward is, then limply grasps at them and falls over..... so ineffective.

Having said that, and without seeing stats, he made tackles, runs and metres and the line-out worked well enough, with him calling himself a lot in the latter.

No4918

John Hipwell (52)
Very good effort from all the guys. Only 2 players have me worried and that is Ryan & Phipps. I think Genia will get the bench spot next week. Link wants fast delivery from his 9 and Genia can do this at least as well as Phipps without the brain snaps he still suffers. He is just never going to be a test standard half. It seems we are stuck with Ryan in the meantime so no point going on about a replacement.

White was very good and needs to stay at 9 all series. Foley will develop into a good 10. Carter showed why he was chosen over Jones and is in my top 5. Simmons was good, still think he is improving and will one day be a very good, consistent lock. Impressed with Palu as well and surprised more hasn't been said about him. To win the RWC he needs to be at 8.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Signs of Wallaby Improvement: The G&GR MOM thread has more than 3 players being nominated for the 3,2,1 points.

Back in a previous era, it was often a struggle to name 3, or there were only 3 in line for the points and the only difference was that Player A was sometimes 3 and sometimes 2 points.

Status
Not open for further replies.