• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Wallabies v France 1st test - Suncorp 7 June

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pete King

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Horwill was pedestrian in his 20 minutes the French try was scored with him as the nearest piller, caught napping. He has been so all year, Link has to continue to go on form rather then reputation. Jones to start skelton bench

Aussie D

Desmond Connor (43)
swap those two around - Skelton is a like-for-like replacement for Carter, both tighthead locks. Jones to come off the bench in the last 30 for big will.

Pete King

Phil Hardcastle (33)
swap those two around - Skelton is a like-for-like replacement for Carter, both tighthead locks. Jones to come off the bench in the last 30 for big will.
id only like to see will on for 20 - 30 minutes top, eithier start or finish.

TahDan

Cyril Towers (30)
Good first up hit-out for the boys, even if France left their hearts at home.

Thoughts on the performances:

TPN was at his combative best and it we're lucky we have such a good replacement for Moore, but the stocks thin out pretty quickly beyond that.

Foley and White both proved why they deserved to be there. Both linked up brilliantly and didn't at all look like players just forming a combination for the first time.

The rest of the backline were brilliant and Folau in particular just looks better all the time. Scored one, and had a big hand in another 3. Very impressive. To'omua was strong as well, and his deft passing and vision led helped a couple tries along too (the inside ball to AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) which led to the Cummins try was beautiful). Kurindrani played probably his best test: immense in defence, powerful running onto the ball, and actually managed to pass it for once to finish of Beale's move haha.

Hooper was solid, but overall I was a little surprised at the low number of turn-overs he affected. Still very very good game by him over all.

On the bench - Beale has copped a bit of flack, but to be fair the try he scored was all him; great pass to Kurindrani and great follow up. He's a handy impact player. That said, I'd have liked to see how a hard and dynamic runner like Horne would have done. He's been carving defences at the 'Tahs all season.

Phipps was indifferent I thought. Did some good stuff: spotting Hooper for a gap early was great, but otherwise he looked a little frantic. Genia has to come back next week.

Didn't see much of McCabe, but he was strong while he was on, and Folau gifted him a lovely try.

On the forwards, when Cowan, Mcalman and Ryan came on, the scrum became noticably weaker... that needs to be looked at.

On the venue: massive disappointment for Suncorp that only 33k turned out when they packed it for Origin only a couple weeks earlier in spite of the Wallabies tickets being MUCH cheaper and there only being two wallaby matches there this year. Pretty poor really. Hopefully we can do better in Sydney. I'll be going for sure.

KOB1987

John Eales (66)
Is that a Joke? Hooper everyday of the week. Was very impressive last night

he is VC so why would it be a joke? admittedly Hooper is better positioned but AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) is probably more deserving of it, just like Moore was

Hoolly Doolly

Fred Wood (13)
im liking the foley and To'omua combination so far.
With carter unfortunately out i would like to see jones step into the 15. Horwill on the bench and then replace him with skelton if we go 2-0.

Can we look at trying Slipper again at Tighthead just for this series and bringing in Sio or Pek to Start or warm the bench. Kepu from the bench would mean no Paddy Ryan in the 23.

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
he is VC so why would it be a joke? admittedly Hooper is better positioned but AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) is probably more deserving of it, just like Moore was

What makes some one deserving?

I look at that questions and choose Hooper ahead of Squeaky and also AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper). AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) is an awesome player but awesome players dont always make good leaders.

Pete King

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Just cant see how u can fault Hooper as skipper based on the 75 minutes he skippered last night.

KOB1987

John Eales (66)
How many times did Campo lead the side.
Lots of tests does not equal captain.

I'm not suggesting the most capped player should be captain, but in fairness to Campo, even if he was at any time a candidate, he was up against Farr-Jones, Lynagh, Kearns, then Eales..

Hooper will be captain at some stage, probably the next one, and am sure a very good one, but he is only 22 so there's no hurry..

BPC

Phil Hardcastle (33)
If Carter is out for the last two games will they bring in a backrower to replace a lock?

Just think, only a couple of years ago, we would have had to stomach Deans bringing in another inside back for cover.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

boyo

Mark Ella (57)
Anyone who thinks that's a good crowd in Brisbane (which is supposed to be the games heartland) is kidding themselves. Charging 55 bucks (with fees) to see a weak french side was outrageous, the ARU cannot continue to use the national team as it's annual bail out strategy. It's going to be even worse in Melbourne considering everyone there hates Etihad and it has not got a good rugby crowd in years bar the Lions.

The ARU has to stop treating spectators like cash-cows.

TahDan

Cyril Towers (30)
The ARU has to stop treating spectators like cash-cows.

Is $55 really that expensive? Origin tickets were selling for about $350 and they sold that out. You can talk about the French not being up to standard, but we didn't know what they'd be like until kick-off really and if anything there were more doubts about the English side, and look what happened with them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Melbourne Terrace

Darby Loudon (17)
Is $55 really that expensive? Origin tickets were selling for about $350 and they sold that out. You can talk about the French not being up to standard, but we didn't know what they'd be like until kick-off really and if anything there were more doubts about the English side, and look what happened with them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Of course it's expensive ffs. 55 bucks for poor seats against a weak opponent in a game that doesn't mean anything is not value. You cannot compare origin because the demand for that is thrice that of rugby and it would sell out if tickets were $300. Anyone not on a comfortable income like Uni students is going to be uncomfortable forking up for a game like that at this time of the year.

And you can't say we didn't know it was a poor French side, they admitted they were leaving a form players at home because they were in need if a rest

Pete King

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Yep 92 tests a great reason for him to be in the side, accompanied by his career best form but not an argument for him to be skipper. Hooper has been captain of Junior sides whilst AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) has not, tough for a winger to be captain also. Hooper is the inspirational lead from the front skipper that we need, in the mould of a sir richie.

Status
Not open for further replies.