• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Wallabies v France 1st test - Suncorp 7 June

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brumby Runner

Jason Little (69)
Thought Simmons went ok despite giving away his mandatory early penalty for taking a player out in the air in a lineout, and despite dropping a few balls during the game. But Horwill was not up to scratch when he came on, so next week Jones should be in for him. We now know that Sam Carter is test match quality, so give Jones a shot with Simmons and Sam on the bench.

The excuse for Phipps' god-awful passing in Super games is that he gets tired after 60 minutes. Looks like he gets just as tired riding the pine for 60 minutes. He is so inconsistent with his passing that he should make way for Will to return next week. And Nic White was still quicker to the breakdown and passed more accurately after 60 minutes that Nick Phipps did with only 10 - 20 minutes on the ground. Chalk and Cheese!

Sio on the bench to replace Cowan who did nothing, and probably Weekes to replace Ryan although Link apparently likes Paddy. Ben McCalman again not very impressive at this level. Link should consider Bringing Higgers in for him.

On the other side, I have been beating the drum all week about how poor the standard of rugby was in the Top 14 final. I really can't see much improvement in the French side by including players who were in that shame of a game.

ChargerWA

Mark Loane (55)
It's amazing how little comment Folau has gotten because it's so damn expected and the usual now.

That performance is far better than any other 15 will put out this year.
I gave him 3 points in the MOTM thread. He was sublime and patient.

But I will say the French gave him a lot more room than he has had in Super Rugby all year. They won't give him as much next week.

flat_eric

Alfred Walker (16)
Is barely 30k through the gates at one of the traditionally better attended venues deeply concerning for the ARU?

Tomikin

David Codey (61)
It's amazing how little comment Folau has gotten because it's so damn expected and the usual now.

That performance is far better than any other 15 will put out this year.
His probably the most talented runner in union or league in the world. . And what his 23 ish.. Izzy amazing

Sent from my HTC_0P6A1 using Tapatalk

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Is barely 30k through the gates at one of the traditionally better attended venues deeply concerning for the ARU?

Nah. It will be concerning if, after that win, the next 2 tests don't get more (well perhaps not Melbourne).

GaffaCHinO

Peter Sullivan (51)
Am I the only one who thought when Benny McCalman came on he got go forward with every carry even if he was caught behind the gain line? Find it strange people are saying he was inconspicuous
Players like him and Pek it doesn't matter what they do they will be talked down and you will get calls for others to replace them you cant make everyone happy I guess.

lpd

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Nah. It will be concerning if, after that win, the next 2 tests don't get more (well perhaps not Melbourne).
Was interested in what the crowd would be like and went on the ticket website, do the areas with no availability mean they are sold or that you cannot reserve tickets there? If the former the crowd could be good
Screen Shot 2014-06-07 at 15.19.47.png

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
Palu and McCalman are such similar players. Very strong, direct and productive. It doesn't make much sense to have both in the 23.
I would start Palu next week with Higgers on the bench to come on when the game opens up in the second.
Front row was a laughing stock....again when our "new" props came on. The French will really target the scrum next week. Sio needs to be on the bench with Weekes maybe as a pure injury reserve. Switch Slipper to TH when Kepu is replaced.
Horwill needs to stay on the bench. If Simmons goes down early and we have Jones or Skelton on the bench we become very vulnerable in the engine room.
Genia needs to come onto the bench as well. Phipps was fine but we cannot afford to have Genia out of the loop for too long. In form he is streets ahead of any other halfback we have.
Foley and To'omua were excellent. Carter had a very good debut and grew in confidence as the game went on. Looking forward to what he does next week. AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper), Badger and Folau excellent as expected. Kuridrani good in patches. TPN was good and Slipper excellent. Kepu OK and remains very important for us throughout this series.
A good start. Well done Wallabies! The Frogs will come at us hard next week, particularly as they exposed our underbelly at the death.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Thought Simmons went ok despite giving away his mandatory early penalty for taking a player out in the air in a lineout, and despite dropping a few balls during the game. But Horwill was not up to scratch when he came on, so next week Jones should be in for him. We now know that Sam Carter is test match quality, so give Jones a shot with Simmons and Sam on the bench.

The excuse for Phipps' god-awful passing in Super games is that he gets tired after 60 minutes. Looks like he gets just as tired riding the pine for 60 minutes. He is so inconsistent with his passing that he should make way for Will to return next week. And Nic White was still quicker to the breakdown and passed more accurately after 60 minutes that Nick Phipps did with only 10 - 20 minutes on the ground. Chalk and Cheese!

Sio on the bench to replace Cowan who did nothing, and probably Weekes to replace Ryan although Link apparently likes Paddy. Ben McCalman again not very impressive at this level. Link should consider Bringing Higgers in for him.

On the other side, I have been beating the drum all week about how poor the standard of rugby was in the Top 14 final. I really can't see much improvement in the French side by including players who were in that shame of a game.
Hmm, I'm prepared to go on a limb and call rubbish on pretty much all of this. In fact, all of it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

BDA

Jim Lenehan (48)

Simmons was an absolute rock in the line-out. Had a few good runs too. a real asset to the team

BDA

Jim Lenehan (48)
Ryan was as shit as I had expected him to be. Link's selections were bang on (except for Ryan, he cant scrummage and today he was also awful in general play)

Hoolly Doolly

Fred Wood (13)
A bit unfair to judge pek on that last penalty try......have a look which side crumbled and who's head happened to pop out...

K

KAOPointman

Some people are forgetting that Link isn't just picking the very very best team he can. He's trying to grow the odd player,seeing if they can improve and or suit test rugby. Paddy Ryan is one of those!

And I'd like to point out that the way the forwards played today.....Will Genia would have cut them to ribbons if he had played! 100% Nick White was good....but genia is nearly Always Great in games like these! He'll be back very soon I'd say! ;)

Melbourne Terrace

Darby Loudon (17)

Anyone who thinks that's a good crowd in Brisbane (which is supposed to be the games heartland) is kidding themselves. Charging 55 bucks (with fees) to see a weak french side was outrageous, the ARU cannot continue to use the national team as it's annual bail out strategy. It's going to be even worse in Melbourne considering everyone there hates Etihad and it has not got a good rugby crowd in years bar the Lions.

KOB1987

John Eales (66)

this is the point..Melbourne may struggle purely because its the wrong city to place a test match, but the SFS is nearly sold out already and now should almost certainly sell out within the week.

Status
Not open for further replies.