• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Wallabies v France 1st test - Suncorp 7 June

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChargerWA

Mark Loane (55)
As a neutral it was nice to see the skills on display by Australia today but in terms of excitement it doesn't come anywhere near NZ V Eng from earlier.
While I agree the intensity was next level, there was too much dropped ball to consider the earlier game a "good" game.

Bardon

Peter Fenwicke (45)
While I agree the intensity was next level, there was too much dropped ball to consider the earlier game a "good" game.

There was a lot of dropped ball in the earlier game and the quality wasn't great, but I still found it far more exciting than the Wobs game.

Pfitzy

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Channel Ten had the MOTM as Slipper. I thought Hooper edged him - particularly as he had to step into the captaincy (and the path of the naysaying dickheads) while doing it. But then, I expect excellence from him.

Simmons was shit, as usual. I wasn't going to bother explaining myself, then I saw this post:

Simmons was exceptional in the lineout.

And thought I'd better do it out of the goodness of my heart.

He gave away yet another stupid penalty at lineout time. For a "lineout general" he didn't steal jack shit. Granted, the attacking lineout ran well, thanks in part to good calls, and also to TPN finding a good rhythm (which I was fucking worried about), but then you just bloody expect it to run well because lineout general.

Around the park Simmons was crap. He's crap in contact, he dropped about three or four regulation takes, he can't clean out, and he can't run the ball unless he's given a hole bigger than Lindsay Lohan's well-tracked minge. He packs at loosehead, but despite supposedly having the best loosehead prop on the field we failed to dominate any aspect of the scrum.

I'm going to watch the replay tomorrow just to triple check my facts, but I just can't see what he adds.

Similarly, Ryan was shit at nearly everything bar I think one good run into contact. Fuck wasn't he just the shittiest piece of shit at scrum time? Lay off the booze, bend your fucking levers and lock down you silly bastard. Gave away a penalty or two as well I think.

That said, Joubert pinged us a couple of times for "hit and chase" which was more a case of "hold the weight blue" so the scrum otherwise was good.

That try to Hooper just wasn't - it went forward off the hand and in the air. Simmons was to blame for delaying his pass and putting Kuridrani under pressure.

We were also extremely lucky to get AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)'s try and To'omua's, but fortune favours the brave.

It was so great to see a Wallaby flyhalf prepared to take it to the line and create space for his outsides. Gave me a warm glow. However, Foley missed a couple of relatively simple kicks through little technical mistakes, and also dropped some ball late, as well as missing a couple of tackles. So he'll have something to work on.

I was surprised To'omua didn't do more of the clearing kicks.

White put up a couple of box kicks that were shit, but his work at the ruck was great - didn't stand there pointing at it, just got the ball moving.

That's about all I have to say for now, except that the French are going to be right up us next weekend

Pfitzy

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Wait: positives!

Fuck our running lines were good. Foley and To'omua worked together really well with Foley doing most of the playmaker stuff and To'omua taking pressure.

Kuridrani was a mixed bag in the first half but found some form in the last half hour. Cummins was value as always, Folau was devastating and picked his moments, and Beale and Patty McCabe really added something when they came on.

Though Beale was still lateral and a better centre pairing would have picked him off.

And the forwards got the mongrel going as well - Fardy was hard at it all night.

P

Paradox

Foley's effort was immense.
Apart from steering us around the field effectively and the pressure of goal kicking duties, most of the passes he received were caught by him next to his ears.

Actually Foley was solid in attack but he was nowhere near immense. He also missed a few in defense - worth persisting with though. So Nick White was providing crap ball?

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I don't agree and I watch the Brumbies rather closely each week. Fardy is very consistent.

So do I. I'm not saying he's poor for the Brumbies (ie. a Nonu) but his carries are much more impactful so too his breakdown work.

Pfitzy

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Absolute rubbish. I'm not a fan of Simmons but that was his best game for Oz and he played well.

Actually his best game for Oz was probably one of the EOYT games in 2013. Pick any of them really - they were all better than this effort. He had a couple of flashy episodes with ball in hand, but he's a tight forward FFS.

Bowside

Peter Johnson (47)
To'omua has really impressed me as a player.

Genia, Charles and Sio on the bench for the next test.

I would also think about bringing Skelton into the mix as well, because coming on against a beaten french side with 25 minutes to go would be the perfect debut for him.

The Red Baron

Chilla Wilson (44)
Channel Ten had the MOTM as Slipper. I thought Hooper edged him - particularly as he had to step into the captaincy (and the path of the naysaying dickheads) while doing it. But then, I expect excellence from him.

Simmons was shit, as usual. I wasn't going to bother explaining myself, then I saw this post:

And thought I'd better do it out of the goodness of my heart.

He gave away yet another stupid penalty at lineout time. For a "lineout general" he didn't steal jack shit. Granted, the attacking lineout ran well, thanks in part to good calls, and also to TPN finding a good rhythm (which I was fucking worried about), but then you just bloody expect it to run well because lineout general.

Around the park Simmons was crap. He's crap in contact, he dropped about three or four regulation takes, he can't clean out, and he can't run the ball unless he's given a hole bigger than Lindsay Lohan's well-tracked minge. He packs at loosehead, but despite supposedly having the best loosehead prop on the field we failed to dominate any aspect of the scrum.

I'm going to watch the replay tomorrow just to triple check my facts, but I just can't see what he adds.

Probably best you watch the game again. I totally disagree with you on Simmons, but seeing as you have never made any secret of disliking Simmons, it comes as no surprise that you are wholly incapable of acknowledging when he plays well.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
What to say after a performance like that. Yes the French were rubbish, but some of our footy tonight was absolutely top drawer. That try for the Badge was one of the best I've ever seen from a Wallaby backline. The lines, the support, the passing, it was all excellent. The pack did their job and had us going forward consistently. The halves distributed the ball effectively and got it into the hands some devastating ball runners, who duly did the rest.

Not quite a performance for the ages, but a bloody fine game by our boys and one that I look forward to viewing again when I don't have so much red wine on board.

Status
Not open for further replies.