• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Wallabies v France 1st test - Suncorp 7 June

Status
Not open for further replies.

TahDan

Cyril Towers (30)
the story they ran basically said even with strong tickets sales over the next 4 days and a solid walk up crowd they would only get about 29k. Now only two days later the ARU estimates 35+ ?? the article clearly wasnt accurate qwerty

Even so, a crowd in the 35k region is pretty poor against a side like France... The tickets can't be worse than Origin and given how rarely you get to see matches like this it's a poor sign for Australian Rugby that so few Queenslanders want to see the Wallabies play such a big team.

T

TOCC

The article was rubbish, the 29'000 figure was an estimate allegedly given with future ticket sales and the walk up crowd factored in... Suddenly it's out by 25%..

It would be disappointing if the crowd were any less then 35'000, any Wallaby game at Suncorp against a top 8 side should at least draw 40'000..

TahDan

Cyril Towers (30)
The article was rubbish, the 29'000 figure was an estimate allegedly given with future ticket sales and the walk up crowd factored in. Suddenly it's out by 25%..

It would be disappointing if the crowd were any less then 35'000, any Wallaby game at Suncorp against a top 8 side should at least draw 40'000..

At Suncorp I've often thought anything but a full house would be a disappointment for a clash against any big international side...

T

TOCC

At Suncorp I've often thought anything but a full house would be a disappointment for a clash against any big international side.

Against South Africa, England or New Zealand i agree...

Against teams like Ireland, Wales, Argentina and France who don't have the same drawing power or natural rivalry with Australia, I think 40'000 is a respectable crowd at Suncorp. 35'000 is at the lower level of the respectable spectrum and anything less is a disappointment.

Mr Doug

Dick Tooth (41)
I emailed Channel Nine Gold Coast News yesterday morning and advised them that Camp Wallaby was at Sanctuary Cove, and that it was very 'ordinary' that they hadn't bothered to do a story in any of their sports segments this week!
I also said that I expected to see a Wallabies segment as their lead sports story last night (didn't happen), or tonight! I will report back later tonight with the result.

As I know bugger-all about the French squad, is it logical to assume that if the players from last week's "Top 14 final" are being 'rested', the French teams for the second and third tests will be stronger? If that is so, then would the omission of Genia from the 23, and Horwill from the 15, in the first test be more "understandable"?

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
Comments by Horan last night seemed sensible - that McKenzie wants to have a look at each of his 9s during the series. In that regard, it was probably easier/better for McKenzie to give Phipps a shot in the first test and leave out Genia, rather than starting Genia on the bench in the first and then subsequently dropping him (which might not be warranted should Genia show some form off the bench).

To be honest, Phipps's good form aside, I'd feel a lot more confident if we had Genia coming off the bench tomorrow.

Horan has backed Genia all the time and all the way and talked him up, irrespective of Will's performance levels. He sure backflipped last night.

Should have had the guts to say Link's decision to chose White over Genia was shithouse but he didn't. He just got on board the Link train.

Pesonally IMO Link got the decision 100% right

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Often I feel with Horan that if he hasn't worked on the Super Rugby game in question he probably hasn't watched it.

He seems to show vast gaps in his rugby knowledge of players and recent games on a regular basis.

With Will Genia, it has often seemed like the only person he's judging Genia against is Genia.

BDA

Jim Lenehan (48)
The decision to choose White sure. The decision not to put Genia on the bench I'm a little bit less sure of. in great Super form, but im not sold on whether Phipps is a test quality 9. People seem to have short memories. go back 12 months and some people were slagging off Deans for including him in the squad.

Again I understand the decision to give Phipps first crack at the bench due to his good form, but I still think the reality is that Genia will always be better than Phipps at test level. I hope he proves me wrong.

EatSleepDrinkRuck

Larry Dwyer (12)
As I know bugger-all about the French squad, is it logical to assume that if the players from last week's "Top 14 final" are being 'rested', the French teams for the second and third tests will be stronger? If that is so, then would the omission of Genia from the 23, and Horwill from the 15, in the first test be more "understandable"?

I've been doing my research in an attempt to be the biggest know-it-all in the box Saturday night so I feel qualified to answer:

Maybe. It depends.

The French coach is notorious for doing whatever he likes without any apparent reason. This team, on paper, doesn't look like the strongest the French could put together but the French can't really ever be judged on paper. Their big wins have all been upsets so labeling the French weak may only make them stronger.

That said, the key player rested is Remi Tales (Castres #10) and he's been replaced by the bloke who didn't even make the bench for Toulon's final; Monsieur Michalak. Michalak is good (played some great football early in the season until Sir Johnny took over) but the side will be stronger with Remi there. It's worth noting that Michalak has 68 caps though, so its not like he'll be a major liability.

The Injury to/choice to rest Dusatoir does weaken the side a little, but mostly in terms of leadership. The Franco-African Le Roux is realistically just at good around the park. Also, Antoine Burban who is on the bench as Flanker cover is also an imposing force on the field.

The weak point, In my esteemed opinion, is the centre pairing. Fofana and Fickou will be looking for big shots (they have some wicked highlights on youtube) which will create big holes for Izzy to slide through. Watch for Matt To'omua to bounce out while Kuridrani runs a hard and obvious unders line with Tooms hitting Izzy running straight - My hot tip is you'll see this on the second attacking opportunity in the French half from outside the 22.

The other peculiar selection is Felix LeBourhis on the blind wing - He's a centre. It's not that strange in the context of Adam Two-dads playing wing too but I think we'll see him struggle on Saturday.

P.S. I look forward to seeing Sam Carter break people in half on Saturday.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
I don't understand French squads. They neither seem to be picked based on form or faithfulness to experienced players. They just throw players into games to see what sticks.

Tales is their number one 10 but because he just played the Top 14 finals series he's been benched, fair enough. HOWEVER, France have blooded 2 young 10s in the last year (one from Stade Francis and one from Bordeaux I think) both who are decent players.

Not to mention the Top 14's form 10 with plenty of international experience, Trahn-Duc, is playing for the World XV this weekend.

It's a massive WTF selection around a key position.

EatSleepDrinkRuck

Larry Dwyer (12)
Even so, a crowd in the 35k region is pretty poor against a side like France. The tickets can't be worse than Origin and given how rarely you get to see matches like this it's a poor sign for Australian Rugby that so few Queenslanders want to see the Wallabies play such a big team.

The tickets are a fair bit cheaper than Origin. I was replying to argue with you but checked my facts first; you're right.

Respectfully, I don't think the crowd numbers are that bad - whats projected for the Sydney game?

TahDan

Cyril Towers (30)
The tickets are a fair bit cheaper than Origin. I was replying to argue with you but checked my facts first; you're right.

Respectfully, I don't think the crowd numbers are that bad - whats projected for the Sydney game?
Not sure tbh, but I do know that only the expensive tix were left when I checked the other day. I expect it should be a full house thanks to the fact that it's being played at the SFS - which rarely gets big wallaby clashes and is WAY better for footy as a fan than ANZ Stadium.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lindommer

Simon Poidevin (60)
Staff member
The Welsh test on Saturday arvo at the SFS two years ago was full. Sunny winter afternoon, great occasion. Let's hope we get another day like that.

Pfitzy

Nathan Sharpe (72)
The Welsh test on Saturday arvo at the SFS two years ago was full. Sunny winter afternoon, great occasion. Let's hope we get another day like that.

Pfitzy is there on the 21st - so everyone else should get their act together! Afternoon Test match much better for those of us using Public Transport to the greater west.

Ignoto

Greg Davis (50)
Sure fire win for the Wallabies. Izzy pulls out a Goose step...and we know what happened the last time the Frogs encountered a bit of goose stepping in Paris 1940..surrender.

Yeah but when the Frenchies catch the goose, it's foie gras time!

Brumby Runner

Jason Little (69)
I emailed Channel Nine Gold Coast News yesterday morning and advised them that Camp Wallaby was at Sanctuary Cove, and that it was very 'ordinary' that they hadn't bothered to do a story in any of their sports segments this week!
I also said that I expected to see a Wallabies segment as their lead sports story last night (didn't happen), or tonight! I will report back later tonight with the result.

Nah, Mr Doug. Not one player in the Top 14 final would raise the standard to test level on the form and skills on display in that game. Atrocious!

T

TOCC

Is this stat correct, Wallabies haven't won their first game of the season since 2010?

Status
Not open for further replies.