• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Wallabies v All Blacks @ Suncorp - 18/10/14

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
Slipper to run 100m to score under the posts, convert his own kick, and win the match. Every loose head props dream.

The dream would be to run a solid 5 metres, with an in and away, change of pace, dummy left then right, then turn on the speed and burn off the rest of the defence. It will only become 100metres when he turns 45

Really surprised that Nic White and Sam Carter retained their spots.

Good luck to QC (Quade Cooper). Hope he really fires when gets the opportunity.

Froggy

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
Well, I just don't get the thought process going on behind team selection.
We play a series against the French, put together a side, win well. Then, start of the RC and Bled (which, lets face it, are the main game for Aus in a non WC year) and we change the most important position in the team, 10! There follows a draw, a shellacking, two close (and arguably lucky) wins, and two losses, one to the number 10 side in the world.
So now we play a game where the Bled and the RC are gone, really only pride hanging on it, and it's steady as she goes, don't rock the boat!!!
Specifically, how long can we persist with the illusion the Alexander is a test standard prop. We have two locks who fail to make any genuine impact, Horwill starts to return to his once very good form, we recall Skelton to the squad, and then stick to the original two, ineffective locks. Genia, once one of the best 9's in the world, returns to the squad, but we persist with Phipps & White. To'omua is out, we have one of the real up and coming 12's called into the squad, who really needs to be looked at in the top level in Godwin, we have Horne who has been good all year, and had a mighty 2013 of super rugby at 12, and we play the 'safe' option, a guy who hasn't found any form since returning from injury, and only kept his S15 spot because he was the goalkicker.
Question for all, why call Skelton, Godwin and Genia into a squad for one test, and then leave them out??

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Question for all, why call Skelton, Godwin and Genia into a squad for one test, and then leave them out??

I'm guessing they were being considered for this test and will definitely be on the EOYT.

If this squad had nothing to do with building for the EOYT it wouldn't have had 32 players.

For the record, I would have picked Skelton instead of Carter, Godwin instead of Leali'ifano and Genia instead of White.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
We play a series against the French, put together a side, win well. Then, start of the RC and Bled (which, lets face it, are the main game for Aus in a non WC year) and we change the most important position in the team, 10! There follows a draw, a shellacking, two close (and arguably lucky) wins, and two losses, one to the number 10 side in the world.
So now we play a game where the Bled and the RC are gone, really only pride hanging on it, and it's steady as she goes, don't rock the boat!!!
Specifically, how long can we persist with the illusion the Alexander is a test standard prop. We have two locks who fail to make any genuine impact, Horwill starts to return to his once very good form, we recall Skelton to the squad, and then stick to the original two, ineffective locks. Genia, once one of the best 9's in the world, returns to the squad, but we persist with Phipps & White. To'omua is out, we have one of the real up and coming 12's called into the squad, who really needs to be looked at in the top level in Godwin, we have Horne who has been good all year, and had a mighty 2013 of super rugby at 12, and we play the 'safe' option, a guy who hasn't found any form since returning from injury, and only kept his S15 spot because he was the goalkicker.

Lots of good points.

Mate, I have an appointment with my Philippino Faithhealer this arvo and on the way home dropping in to my gypsy fortuneteller then the old English lady who reads tea leaves. Will ask their opinion for you.

T

Train Without a Station

I'm just speculating here (aren't we all). But I'm guessing Link thinks it was the best team (except for injuries and AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) and TK), it's basically pretty close to what everybody here considered the best team so he's probably got his finger on the pulse pretty well.

Due to that he thinks there's no point in playing what looks to be an inferior team, but attempting to build with that team. If we just through out players like Skelton, etc. under the proviso, "can't be any worse", we would have something nowhere near our actual best team because we'd swapped 5 of our first choicers that weren't injured out, fuck all leadership (like we can afford to sacrifice any) and wouldn't be gaining much.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
There are plenty of arguments to be made that Simmons and Carter don't provide the right balance.

The addition of Horwill has been generally good.

I don't think putting Skelton into the side would be a case of thinking that it couldn't be any worse. It would be on the basis that it would be different because the status quo hasn't quite been working.

T

Train Without a Station

I agree with you that the status quo hasn't quite been working.

I really don't agree that Skelton would change that though. The problem with Simmons and Carter is that we lack a strong tighthead lock who offers plenty in the scrum, and gets the job done in the tight whilst being able to offer the little extras like the odd pilfer that Retalick does, or Howill did at his best.

Skelton, isn't stronger in the scrum and plays a looser, wider running role. We've got back rowers to do that. He does give the odd great clean out, but he's not doing it the whole time in a Retalick manner.

hammertimethere

Trevor Allan (34)
Getting dropped after a good performance would burn deep for Horwill and rightfully so. Hopefully he will come on at the 50 minute mark looking to rip chunks out of anything that moves.

The rest of the team I probably understand, but I would have put Genia on the bench. I honestly think if we manage to stay in touch there wouldn't be anything the AB's would like to see less than the Genia/Cooper combo coming on late.

formerflanker

Ken Catchpole (46)
Genia came off the bench in two NRC games once fit and then was called into the Wallabies squad. If he was available he most certainly would've gotten time in the NRC.

Thanks for the correction.
I'm now even more stupefied about the selection process around Genia. If fully fit and not thought to be good enough yet to be in the match day 23, why not play him last week in the NRC like Quade?
It appears he is being kept on ice in the training squad until the EOYT.

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
Thanks for the correction.
I'm now even more stupefied about the selection process around Genia. If fully fit and not thought to be good enough yet to be in the match day 23, why not play him last week in the NRC like Quade?
It appears he is being kept on ice in the training squad until the EOYT.

No worries. Genia missing the City v. Rays game was apparently because they didn't get back from Argentina in sufficient time given City played the Thurs night game last week.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
In all honesty I think that is something the ABS would love to see. Two players that have not played at the top level for quite some time, in key roles.
They are also 2 players who have worried NZ in the past. There aren't many players out there in that category.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
They are also 2 players who have worried NZ in the past. There aren't many players out there in that category.

I think it's more your second sentence that would give the AB's the most comfort Jets. They would be confident that 2 players returning from injury alone aren't going to turn the game enough that the AB's can't handle it.

For the record, I would be keen to run out Sandshoes and Quade if we're close with 20 to go. I just don't think the AB's would lose any sleep over it.

Status
Not open for further replies.