• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Wallabies 40 man squad

Status
Not open for further replies.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
Oh, the top players all have a leave accrual system which they can take any time. It's all part of the CBA that RUPA signed with the ARU. 99% of players choose not to take time off during the season though as they generally lose their starting spot and find it very hard to get it back.

But clearly Jones needed some time off. 2 weeks in Bali should have him nicely refreshed.

Scarfman

Knitter of the Scarf
I've only seen a couple of Force games this season and Sharpey looked like he was in retirement mode. If you guys saw more than that, fair enough.

Some joke selections in there. Deans still with the youth fetish. I know what you're saying baabaa, that they're only in the 35-40 squad, but still, you like to see form rewarded. The most worrying thing about Maafu is that clearly Deans in still in the same mode, so we can expect to see LHs at TH and vice versa.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
I've only seen a couple of Force games this season and Sharpey looked like he was in retirement mode. If you guys saw more than that, fair enough.

He was immense on Saturday vs the Lions. Agree he has had a few quiet games, but his form is good enough plus we badly need an experienced lock to help with all the young guys we have coming through (Simmons, Pyle, Neville, Douglas etc).

W

What2040

So its only a training squad and Mowen still doesnt get picked? Thats just plain idiotic.

id expect the cull will include:
1. Mafood 100%
2. Mogg - last few games havent been the greatest
3. Vuna
4. Harris/Horne
5 Douglas/Timani/Neville/Sharpe
6. Alexander/Slipper/Palmer - Not point in having 5 props?
7. Phipps
8. McCalman/Dennis
9 & 10 Tomane/ Shipperly/Foley/ Morahan
1-3 Agree
4. Probably Harris
5 ????
6. Will keep Alexander Slipper - need somebody to replace Robo and Kepu later on
7-8 Agree
9710 - surely keep Morahan - 3 years has been in Walls and still not a cap, But Tomane and Shipps are good

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
Yeh I think 1-3 are certaintley dropped. The rest I was guessing. Id like to keep Tomane though, he looks very dangerous everytime he gets the ball.

Penguin

John Solomon (38)
I'm not talking about just the here and now. I am not a fan of Deans and I am not big on his selection criteria - that I am taking from what happened last year in the WC and the lead up games befroe that. Why do we have a coach that is not an Australian. Sorry but I think it's shit and will always think that.

The same lead up games where we won the Tri Nations?

Bowside

Peter Johnson (47)
Jake White's view of Mowen's exclusion. Yes, there's bound to be a bit of bias here, but White's opinion should be respected:

I feel for Mowen. I might not know as much about rugby as others, but I refuse to believe that on current form McCalman and Dennis are better players than him.

He would be perfect off the bench as he can play 6 or 8, and would add some valuable leadership late in the game.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
There's no doubt that Dennis deserves to be there... he and Higginbotham are on equal footing for the 6 jersey in my opinion...

McCalman hasn't done anything this year to justify his selection, and it's not like he has any test form to speak of...

liquor box

Peter Sullivan (51)
Looks like Sharpie has become a bit more versatile with age!
you would think Growden would get the most basic things correct
It will be interesting to see the crouch before engagement and the hookers shoulder position will be interesting

twenty seven

Tom Lawton (22)
The same lead up games where we won the Tri Nations?

The Tri Nations we won against two teams who did not run their best! They were more focused on Bill.

My point is more about Robie Deans. Don't think he should be Australian coach, pure and simple.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
OK thanks for that 27. This is not the place for that discussion, so let's please not open that pandora's box for the 143rd time.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
Selections are just so subjective and we all have opinions just like "Did the dingo do it?"
Whoever is selected just needs to play to "the" gameplan and execute to the best of their ability. ANY Oz team playing to ability can beat ANY team in the world.
Jeez I feel for Ben Lucas - always on the cusp but now injuries are playing with the lads future. He just seems to be getting more and more (minor ones at that) and selectors will be loathe to pick him (just in case) when there are so many others.

Are you suggesting that Deans might actually come up with one for a change.

Oh sorry, I forgot or rather blocked out the memories of his last (and first) game plan 'kick it to the shit house and defend.'

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
40 man squads mean jack shit really. I am more concerned about what Deans will do once we settle into the 2nd Wales Test. From here it should be the best 15 he can pick. The 1st 2 tests may have some more odd than normal selections due to the schedule.

Some very hard luck stories and some bewildering selections. But hey thats Deans, he has always been a poor selector.

Apart from the Scotland test which is really stuffed up because of the conflicts in scheduling, the 22 (not 15 those days are gone) should really be known to the coach now. The disaster awaiting us is the fact that Deans really has no idea about selection IMO apart from selecting his favourites, usually out of position.

T

Train Without a Station

There's no doubt that Dennis deserves to be there... he and Higginbotham are on equal footing for the 6 jersey in my opinion...

McCalman hasn't done anything this year to justify his selection, and it's not like he has any test form to speak of...

Definitely agreed. Mowen, Higgers and Dennis have been the 3 best utility backrowers in Aus this season and probably most of last, who have all excelled at 6 and 8 at differing times. Either one missing out on the 22 could feel hard done by. Missing out on the 40 is a travesty.

GaffaCHinO

Peter Sullivan (51)
As a force man I must say I was abit surprised to see mccalman named in the squad. But i do feel alittle sorry for the guy after he was left for dead by deans during the RWC with the 7 debacle.

I think the blokes confidence must have taken a hit after that it's not really his fault he was played out of position. I think he deserves a second chance.

He is still very young still learning and growing who knows what he could be and do in the future.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

W

What2040

Are you suggesting that Deans might actually come up with one for a change.

Oh sorry, I forgot or rather blocked out the memories of his last (and first) game plan 'kick it to the shit house and defend.'

same game plan as the Brums !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.