• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Wallabies 40 man squad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I don't disagree with that at all.

But blaming a player for them getting selected over another player is stupid. Blaming the selectors is fine.

I'm just saying that given the four options selected that play 6 and 8, McCalman and Higgers must be almost certainties to start against Scotland.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
There's the problem... McCalman hasn't been one of the top 6's or 8's all year...

OK, and Mowen has been "one of the top 6's or 8's all year"? I must have been watching different games.

His captaincy is good (but he won't be there to be captain), his play solid and his side is winning.

But as I said earlier, I see little, if any difference between the two units both are pretty error free workrate backrowers with Mowen a better lineout unit and McCalman better on the ground.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
OK, and Mowen has been "one of the top 6's or 8's all year"? I must have been watching different games.

His captaincy is good (but he won't be there to be captain), his play solid and his side is winning.

But as I said earlier, I see little, if any difference between the two units both are pretty error free workrate backrowers with Mowen a better lineout unit and McCalman better on the ground.

Maybe you have? :p

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
There have been multiple posts rubbishing McCalman mostly because Mowen has been left out.

If they'd both been selected then I think there'd be barely any mention of McCalman.

liquor box

Peter Sullivan (51)
I dont see how people could not want to pick Higginbotham as a starter in both teams, he is up with Pocock as the first picked in my opinion, and if it is on form then he is the forst picked for sure.

GaffaCHinO

Peter Sullivan (51)
All those that are rubbishing mccalman go have a read on the front page in the article on the best 6/8. Maybe you will learn something.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
All those that are rubbishing mccalman go have a read on the front page in the article on the best 6/8. Maybe you will learn something.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Read it... nothing there to change my opinion...

Moving on...

According to Fox Sports News Horwill is possibly gone for the rest of the season...

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
Overall I like the look of the squad as a whole. I feel a bit for a few players who missed out. Greg Holmes and Nathan Charles spring to mind. They both have had very good years.

No4918

John Hipwell (52)
No Fotu! Who is going to put on big hits now?

McCalman.
Couldnt resist, will make that my last shot at him until he puts in a bad showing if he gets to wear the G&G. I will be happy to have my doubts proved wrong.

emuarse

Chilla Wilson (44)
Sorry but that defeats me. Plenty of lads out there who know the game and have played it for many years, know the game and the position and he gets through? Have watched him play and I really don't believe he knows the game well enough to be in the Wallaby squad net alone the Super rugby. Yeah he does some good things but he has made a lot of mistakes out there to.
DEANS gives away the Gold before it is deserved on too many occassions. As you may have noticed, I am not a Deans fan and I wish they would put him on a slow boat back to the land of the long white cloud.

Remembering that this is a training squad, I suspect they have included Neville as a lock to in fact provide him with a learning curve as obviously they see real potential in him.
Remember a large part of Dean's mantra is to unearth future Wallabies. He certainly wouldn't be too impressed with so many of the half thought-out remarks that come through here

emuarse

Chilla Wilson (44)
The Tahs play on the Saturday night. Robinson playing on the Tuesday then the Saturday will be a big ask.

I think we will be fine with Moore starting against Scotland and TPN starting against Wales. TPN always ends up pretty bruised and battered so he shouldn't play against Scotland at all (Saia can be on the bench).

I think Pocock might be the only forward to start both tests. Simmons is probably a chance due to having the bye before the Scotland test.
Probably Higgers too.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
I am guessing that the reds and force players that are considered 1st choice wallabies will start against Scotland, with the intention of giving them an early mark if we have the game in hand.

Pocock, Sharpe, Genia, Cooper, Ioane. Maybe Higginbotham.

And then they will throw in the on the cusp of first choice from the same teams for probably 80.

Shipperley, Slipper, Simmons, McCalman, A Finger. Maybe Morahan and probably Ma'afu.

We might only be looking at 2 players having to back up for the XV? Moore and Barnes?

I'd suggest that the international careers of McCalman and Ma'afu may have been somewhat saved by the scheduling.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
I am guessing that the reds and force players that are considered 1st choice wallabies will start against Scotland, with the intention of giving them an early mark if we have the game in hand.

Pocock, Sharpe, Genia, Cooper, Ioane. Maybe Higginbotham.

And then they will throw in the on the cusp of first choice from the same teams for probably 80.

Shipperley, Slipper, Simmons, McCalman, A Finger. Maybe Morahan and probably Ma'afu.

We might only be looking at 2 players having to back up for the XV? Moore and Barnes?

I'd suggest that the international careers of McCalman and Ma'afu may have been somewhat saved by the scheduling.

So starting

1 Slipper
2 Faainga
3 Maafu
4 Sharpe
5 Simmons
6 Higginbotham
7 Pocock
8 McCalman
9 Genia
10 Cooper
11 Ioane