• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Wallabies 40 man squad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
So starting

1 Slipper
2 Faainga
3 Maafu
4 Sharpe
5 Simmons
6 Higginbotham
7 Pocock
8 McCalman
9 Genia
10 Cooper
11 Ioane
12 Harris
13 ?
14 Shipperley
15 Morahan

Was more thinking:

1 Slipper
2 Moore
3 Maafu
4 Sharpe
5 Simmons
6 Higginbotham
7 Pocock
8 McCalman
9 Genia
10 Cooper
11 Ioane
12 Barnes
13 Fa'ainga
14 Shipperley
15 Morahan

with Moore, Sharpe, Higginbotham, Pocock, Genia, Cooper and Barnes to have reduced game time? It is a risk if it is a close game though.

Maybe you are right, we could just see the Reds backline, with Barnes as backup to Cooper on the bench. That may allow a 5/2 split so more of the forwards can be rested (thinking that ideally both locks would have reduced game time).

Who knows? It is shit scheduling that is for sure.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
WTF???

How is he only a maybe??

Because of the scheduling, he might not get a chance to start vs Wales next weekend as we could need 80 out of him for Scotland. Scheduling is working for some fringe players (Shipperley, Morahan, Ma'afu, McCalman) but against some first choice (or close to) players (Higginbotham, Slipper, Simmons).

We won't know until the second Wales test what Deans truly considers the best team.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Was more thinking:

Maybe you are right, we could just see the Reds backline, with Barnes as backup to Cooper on the bench. That may allow a 5/2 split so more of the forwards can be rested (thinking that ideally both locks would have reduced game time).

Who knows? It is shit scheduling that is for sure.

Historically Deans (al la the Crusaders) is prone to load the bench in these games

GaffaCHinO

Peter Sullivan (51)
If you played McCalman and hooper on the bench it gives you the option of a 4-3 split as mccalman is more than able to play lock. Might work for the Scotland game if trying to limit players game time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

liquor box

Peter Sullivan (51)
I don't think Higgers is a certainty to start both tests purely on the basis that Dennis and Palu provide a very good 6 & 8 combination as well and seem likely to start against Wales in the first test based on everyone's schedules.
I never realised how biased I am, but why not just pick the best number 8 this season?

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Given the schedule, I don't think it is as simple as that.

If there were no issues regarding player recovery time then I guess we'd see the same team in both tests. I think there will be compromises made to not overcook players (particularly forwards), particularly where the backup options are very close to the first choice options.

I don't think anyone knows for sure what our best backrow is at this stage apart from it being Pocock at 7.

We could play Higgers at 6 and Palu at 8, Dennis at 6 and Higgers at 8, or Dennis at 6 and Palu at 8.

I agree completely that Higginbotham's form has been terrific, but I don't think he is head and shoulders ahead of Dennis and Palu and other issues such as balance may come into it (Deans may consider starting Higgers and Palu to be too loose a combination for example).

BarneySF

Bob Loudon (25)
No Fotu! Who is going to put on big hits now?

Totally Agree! I'm all for player development and the notion of being in the system for a while yada yada to earn the jersey, but wouldn't it be nice to at least have one enforcer in the squad - you know, something that we were supposed to have in Palu since 2006? Hark back to the days of bloody Scott Gourley (and maybe Sam Scott Young who also had the loose cannon quality about him that was great) who would put the big hits on and you wouldn't be surprised to have someone down for a while (also gives everyone a nice breather). Fair enough if they don't bring anything else to the table, but my understanding was that Fotu was playing into a bit of form?? And that's only in the forwards. Let's get an enforcer in the backs soon - with good elbow and shoulder joints.

No4918

John Hipwell (52)
If you played McCalman and hooper on the bench it gives you the option of a 4-3 split as mccalman is more than able to play lock. Might work for the Scotland game if trying to limit players game time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'd be concerned about lack of line out options if McCalman covers lock. Would leave you with one good option and two so-so jumpers. Unless Higgers is on to have a strong second option.

tigerland12

John Thornett (49)
I want to see Hugh Pyle get as many opportunities as possible over these tests. In my personal opinion he already has the looks of a test quality lock, no disrespect to the likes of Timani, Douglas and Neville, but they all look not quite ready yet.

I think Pyle is a long term option for the Wallabies. Right now Simmons and Sharpe will be out locks, and rightfully so due to form and experience, but I want Pyle on the bench for atleast 3 of these matches, if not starting one.

Tangawizi

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Ben Lucas was added to the squad last night. Surely he's good for at least a bench spot against the Scots.

ChargerWA

Mark Loane (55)
...and you wouldn't be surprised to have someone down for a while (also gives everyone a nice breather).

Leave off mate, are yout trying to do TPN out of a job? :)

Looking at Gaggers excellent article on the front page and how surprisingly good McCalman's stats are, I wonder if he suffers a bit from "PoCloak". Even as Force supporter I tend to miss alot of Bennys work because I am quite often watching Pocock to see what he is doing and don't notice the work McCalman is doing. While the same could be said of Mowen and Hooper, the Force really only have one trick, and it's called David Pocock.

I would assume Deans and Co are watching alot of tape and specifically watching individual players to judge the effectiveness of their involvements (unlike myself and most others commenting). For them to have included him, he must be doing something right.

Status
Not open for further replies.