• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Wallabies 40 man squad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Athilnaur

Arch Winning (36)
Slim, as you know I am a big believer in McCabe. His marked contribution in D, gaining the advantage line, and his unrelenting support at the breakdown, is remarkable, his ability to create options improving fast, but he hasn't - yet - developed the skills to make him a world class centre.

Nonu is one of the best centres to play the game of the last 5(+) years. I sincerely doubt a crap season with blues will matter an iota, the man always gets up for AB games. Irony being his spot is in real jeopardy this year, SBW is that good.

Coming back to McCabe - IMO every game he plays, every minute he spends, brings him closer to being the complete centre we desperately need to at last replace Stirling. Happily he is at the absolutely best place in Australia to develop those skills, I hope he is sucking up every single minute of it.

GaffaCHinO

Peter Sullivan (51)
Look I don't doubt he has been playing well, but he would still be ranked behind Alexander, Slipper and Robinson on the loosehead side. So while he had claims to be in the wider squad he wouldn't get near a match 22.
my point is why is he ranked behind them if he is out preforming them week in week out. Would it still be the case if he played for one of the big 3 clubs?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Slim, as you know I am a big believer in McCabe. His marked contribution in D, gaining the advantage line, and his unrelenting support at the breakdown, is remarkable, his ability to create options improving fast, but he hasn't - yet - developed the skills to make him a world class centre.

Nonu is one of the best centres to play the game of the last 5(+) years. I sincerely doubt a crap season with blues will matter an iota, the man always gets up for AB games. Irony being his spot is in real jeopardy this year, SBW is that good.

Coming back to McCabe - IMO every game he plays, every minute he spends, brings him closer to being the complete centre we desperately need to at last replace Stirling. Happily he is at the absolutely best place in Australia to develop those skills, I hope he is sucking up every single minute of it.

I agree with most of this...

In regards to Nonu, he's gotten a bit AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) like this year with trying the same move every time he touches the ball...

Probably a little guilty of trying too much at times...

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)

Isn't McCabe a 12?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
Jake White's view of Mowen's exclusion. Yes, there's bound to be a bit of bias here, but White's opinion should be respected:

White puzzled by Mowen's Wallaby omission
Jim Morton
May 28, 2012 - 3:09AM
AAP

Brumbies coach Jake White is flabbergasted by Ben Mowen's continued absence from Wallabies squads after his captain was again overlooked by Robbie Deans on Sunday night.

While eight Brumbies players, including five uncapped improvers, rode off the back of the ACT franchise's terrific Super Rugby rise, No.8 Mowen was unlucky to be left out of the 39-man training squad.

Mowen was still ignored despite three 2011 World Cup back-row selections - Rocky Elsom, Radike Samo and Matt Hodgson - all being omitted by Deans' selection panel.

Advertisement: Story continues below
The 27-year-old lost out with former NSW Waratahs teammates Dave Dennis and Wycliff Palu and Western Force No.8 Ben McCalman preferred ahead of the Brumbies skipper.

The decision is one which former World Cup-winning South Africa coach White can't get his head around considering Mowen's form and leadership value for the Australian conference leaders.

"I must be honest, I'm not just saying it because it's Ben, I just don't understand why he has never been picked," White said.

"The reality is he's versatile, he's a great leader, he's captained a lot of these players at junior level.

"I think he's showed he's got something special, not just the way he's led the team but the way he's played."

A surprise choice as captain by White, Mowen has impressed at both No.8 and blind-side flanker for the Brumbies who remain five points ahead of defending champions Queensland despite their 13-12 loss to the Reds on Saturday night.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Mowen can play 6 and 8 (and 7 at a pinch), can he not?
He should have been picked as a message to everyone that form is considered relevant, even if its not determinative.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
McCalman is the incumbent.
There are very few decent 8s.
And of those props you listed, Slipper, Alexander and Kepu are loosehead props who can play tighthead.
They are not tighthead props.

Id suggest that Saia Fa'ainga is the luckiest player picked. Hanson from QLD is better than him, and Nathan Charles is a tight playing hooker who we need, who IMO is the 3rd best hooker in the country.

Id rate Fa'ainga as maybe the 6th best.

Edit: And Elsom was possibly the best blindside in the world around 2005/6.
It was when he went to Ireland that he really went to pieces.

Id suggest he is one of the best blindsides the Wallabies have had in the pro era.

I think your memory is playing up. Kepu and Slipper play at TH a lot more than the other side.

Link clearly favours fa'ainga over Hanson - evidenced by fa'ainga playing 80 vs the brumbies and coming back to the starting lineup soon after returning from injury. Not sure that Charles could be classed as playing tighter than either of those.

As to elsom, he wasn't considered best in the world when he went to Ireland (in the top few though), it was over there he carved it up and increased his rep by doing so. He came back and failed to live up to that hype (club rugby in Europe does not indicate form when playing boks or abs!).

Scotty

David Codey (61)
Jeez, it isn't like those 4 have been tournament standouts. I would argue Mowen is the only one with a conceivable shot at the Wallaby 22, and thus can consider himself unlucky. But even he hasn't been setting the world alight, and has been noticeably quiet in the Brumbies past few games. Again I would have picked him but certainly the four people you mentioned could have done more.

We do need to remember that the Scotland game is mid week and only the reds and force have a bye this weekend. Therefore it would have made sense to have the likes of Cowan, Cummins etc in the squad.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
I could be incorrect here, but to me Slipper just doesn't seem that great.

Sure, he's a decent Super rugby starter but in my mind nothing beyond that. Now, he's still young to evolve into an impressive prop but to me his scrum work is decent, without being outstanding, and his work around the part is good in the loose (for a prop), passable in the tight.

I'm sure they since he's gotten so many caps in his young life that there'd be stats to prove me wrong. But yeah, I don't see it.

Would it be possible that you haven't been watching many reds games?

Lindommer

Simon Poidevin (60)
Staff member
...Elsom was possibly the best blindside in the world around 2005/6. It was when he went to Ireland that he really went to pieces. I'd suggest he is one of the best blindsides the Wallabies have had in the pro era.

Owen Finegan's supporters might disagree with that opinion.

Lindommer

Simon Poidevin (60)
Staff member
...McCabe - IMO every game he plays, every minute he spends, brings him closer to being the complete centre we desperately need to at last replace Stirling.

Agree wholeheartedly. So WTF doesn't someone play him at 13. You listening, Larkham?

Bernie_Larkham

Herbert Moran (7)
40 man squads mean jack shit really. I am more concerned about what Deans will do once we settle into the 2nd Wales Test. From here it should be the best 15 he can pick. The 1st 2 tests may have some more odd than normal selections due to the schedule.

Some very hard luck stories and some bewildering selections. But hey thats Deans, he has always been a poor selector.

#1 Tah

Chilla Wilson (44)
Really happy to see Bernard Foley get a run. Made his debut for the Tahs in the semi last year against the blues and set up a try with his first touch. After injuries to the Tah's top finishers this year he stepped up big time, and recovered quickly from his shoulder injury and had two good games in s.a. stoked for him.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
I really don't see much difference between Mowen and McCalman to get all bitter about, both are solid without being spectacular. Mowen better at lineout, McCalman better ball in hand but really there is bee's dick between them.

L

laps

1. How was McCalman picked over Mowen? Has Deans seriously been watching this super rugby season? Could be a good thing though less players for Brumbies to lose to injury.
2. Mogg - Can't see him hanging around for too long after past couple games unless he picks up. Kicking and attack has gone down hill a bit. Obviously given benefit of the doubt given his great start to the season - all the best to him.
3. Barnes, Rob Horne, Harris - if these are our options at centre the Wallabies are done...
4. Nathan Sharpe - Seriously, how does this bloke get chosen over some of the players running around in the comp - especially Fardy??? How is Fardy not in the squad, his work rate around the field, ball carrying and lineouts are fantastic. wth.
5. As of Friday Cooper was not included in the squad. Only included after injury to Beale... (credible source)
6. Mafu - just stop it..

W

What2040

Selections are just so subjective and we all have opinions just like "Did the dingo do it?"
Whoever is selected just needs to play to "the" gameplan and execute to the best of their ability. ANY Oz team playing to ability can beat ANY team in the world.
Jeez I feel for Ben Lucas - always on the cusp but now injuries are playing with the lads future. He just seems to be getting more and more (minor ones at that) and selectors will be loathe to pick him (just in case) when there are so many others.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
So its only a training squad and Mowen still doesnt get picked? Thats just plain idiotic.

id expect the cull will include:
1. Mafood 100%
2. Mogg - last few games havent been the greatest
3. Vuna
4. Harris/Horne
5 Douglas/Timani/Neville/Sharpe
6. Alexander/Slipper/Palmer - Not point in having 5 props?
7. Phipps
8. McCalman/Dennis
9 & 10 Tomane/ Shipperly/Foley/ Morahan

No4918

John Hipwell (52)
So you'd think he will go with this backrow?

6. Higgers
7. Pocock
8. Palu

19. Dennis

McCalman better not be anywhere near the 22.

4. Nathan Sharpe - Seriously, how does this bloke get chosen over some of the players running around in the comp - especially Fardy??? How is Fardy not in the squad, his work rate around the field, ball carrying and lineouts are fantastic. wth.

On your own there. With the loss of Horwill, Sharpe will be very important. The bloke with the next highest caps at lock is Simmons. We will need all his experience in that position.

4. Simmons
5. Sharpe

18. Pyle

Athilnaur

Arch Winning (36)
Agree wholeheartedly. So WTF doesn't someone play him at 13. You listening, Larkham?

teach me for posting at 1 am eh, but for myself I tend to see the roles as interchangeable, with players at ic being asked to play what was once more thecentres style. That said Conrad Smith also leapt to mind. And I was never going to say a replacement for Gits. :eek:
Ath.

Status
Not open for further replies.