• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Wallabies 40 man squad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I love the selection of Vuna... If someone can sort out his defence he'll be awesome... I know if there's 2 wingers I'd hate to mark its Diggers and Cooper...

I know which winger I'd run at...

But I also don't think he's more of an attacking threat than any of the other outside backs in the squad...

Epi

Dave Cowper (27)
I know which winger I'd run at...

But I also don't think he's more of an attacking threat than any of the other outside backs in the squad...

Tell that to the eight players he beat for the first try yesterday... There's another eight players who've run round him to score this year though...

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Tell that to the eight players he beat for the first try yesterday... There's another eight players who've run round him to score this year though...

And I still wouldn't select him ahead of any of the other wingers in the squad...

Out of the league converts... Tomane has been far more lethal this year, and can tackle...

I'm sure if Speight was eligible he would push Vuna out of the squad...

Next year...

tigerland12

John Thornett (49)
What has Timani done to justify his selection? Or Horne?
I think Timani is starting to come good again. I have no problems with his selecion. Horne is in the same boat, starting to play well, but I suspect he'll be behind McCabe, A.Fainga'a and Ashley-Cooper for the center positions......but then again Deans Factor

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
Yeah Timani was huge last night against the Cheetahs. Has a bit of mongrel in him, which our forward pack sorely needs.

As for the others... meh. It's a 39 man squad for fuck's sake. We are arguing over positions 36-39, and while I agree a few are unlucky it's not like these guys were going to get capped. These are the guys who are holding the tackle bags.

Mowen is the only one who is truly unlucky. I don't think he should have been starting but he certainly had claims to be in the 22.

No4918

John Hipwell (52)
Mowen is the only one who is truly unlucky. I don't think he should have been starting but he certainly had claims to be in the 22.

Can't get my head around this one at all. Mowen>>>>>>>>>>>>>McCalman

Rest of the side is pretty meh. Few surprises, Dingoes faves picked again and a couple deserving missed. What will be interesting is seeing who makes the 30.

aussie1st

Alfred Walker (16)
The commentators were talking about Maafu getting picked because of the lack of THP and one his size.

The Red Baron

Chilla Wilson (44)
I think the boys should get Ma'afu on the podcast, just to ask him what pictures of Deans he has. Are they of Deans and J'ON in some sort of steamy encounter? Deans in a loving embrace with Growden?

I also have to agree that Mowen was ripped off.

So who will the skipper be though? Genia, Pocock or Ma'afu?

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
The commentators were talking about Maafu getting picked because of the lack of THP and one his size.

That's an odd statement...

Lack of tightheads?

Kepu, Palmer, Slipper, Alexander... that's 4/5 other props in the squad!

vidiot

John Solomon (38)
I think the boys should get Ma'afu on the podcast, just to ask him what pictures of Deans he has. Are they of Deans and J'ON in some sort of steamy encounter? Deans in a loving embrace with Growden?

I also have to agree that Mowen was ripped off.

So who will the skipper be though? Genia, Pocock or Ma'afu?

Working on the principle that the best captains' improve their performance when they lead the team, I choose Ma'afu. He has enormous potential for improvement.

Pocock can only play the same or worse as captain than his usual level of 210%, and Genia is regaining form without the armband.

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
Before we get excited about the 'new faces', a 40 man 'training squad' mathematically virtually had to have some.

The crunch will come - in terms of Deans' latest thinking - when we see the final 22 for Wales 1 when player choice is unconstrained by the S15.

I note that the media release mentions that 'the dark prince' Nucifora is still a co-selector. Of course.

Mowen's exclusion and McCalman's inclusion is truly amazing. What has Mowen not done in 2012 that McCalman has done, to not get selected, plus his leadership qualities are looking outstanding thus adding to his appeal.

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
C Neville thuroughly deserved.
L Jones unlucky - interesting omission?
Neville got turned over/lost the ball multiple times yesterday against the Canes.

No issue with seeing him selected because he is an exciting prospect, but he's not quite the finished article yet and "thoroughly deserved" is OTT for mine.

Jones looks like he may morph into a 6/4 type player, particularly while Pyle and Neville are locking for the Rebels. Still, he is another good prospect for the future.

farva

Vay Wilson (31)
Jones would've been more deserving than McCalman...

But I think Sam Carter is the real unlucky one... excellent form all year...

McCalman is the incumbent.
There are very few decent 8s.
And of those props you listed, Slipper, Alexander and Kepu are loosehead props who can play tighthead.
They are not tighthead props.

Id suggest that Saia Fa'ainga is the luckiest player picked. Hanson from QLD is better than him, and Nathan Charles is a tight playing hooker who we need, who IMO is the 3rd best hooker in the country.

Id rate Fa'ainga as maybe the 6th best.

Edit: And Elsom was possibly the best blindside in the world around 2005/6.
It was when he went to Ireland that he really went to pieces.

Id suggest he is one of the best blindsides the Wallabies have had in the pro era.

Status
Not open for further replies.