• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Wallabies 2024

Tomthumb

Dick Tooth (41)
I don't really disagree, but for the sake of throwing some bombs into the discussion in a non-test week......

I don't think he's too young (he is 21, not some child prodigy), the problem is he's too small and slow, and now he has hamstring isssues.

He had zero try assists in Super Rugby, and by far the worst kick percentage of any of our options - including Gordon. The highlight reel that the Reds put out for his season was comical in its lack of highlights.
I'll never understand the random need for a 10 to be like Carlos Spencer. Control is the most important skill a 10 can possess

Reactions: TSR

Tomthumb

Dick Tooth (41)
Yeah, these two tests are the ones that will get by far the least amount of attention until the Lions Tour.

If Gordon and Lolesio are first choice (as it seems to be with Schmidt) then give them these two tests as gimmes to work together a bit more before the Bled pressure cooker
Is there really any pressure on the Bledisloe? Who genuinely believes we have a shout?

Yoda

Jim Clark (26)
Why White? He looks slow

I think we need to stay with the current choices and build some cohesion
My thoughts were that if Stewart is selected he played well at the Force with Whitey and Donno. There is a good combination between the 3 of them. Noah has not exactly shot the lights out and Donno has had only one starting Test. Not sure how Schmidt approaches selections but it seems like with the 10’s they are playing like they may be dropped at any moment. They need to be told they will get at least x amount of Tests in a row. So it’s either stick with Noah, which I wouldn’t, as he has had 4 this year, or give Donno a run of 4 Tests. My bench has Gordon to come on with his intercept ability at the back end and Noah who is solid on goal kicking. Kellaway can cover wing and fullback. Lynagh just isn’t ready imho and has hamstring issues. He may be good in the future but I can’t get the excitement about him. They are our only 3 10’s though so we have to be patient. Talk of QC (Quade Cooper), JOC (James O'Connor) or Foley is ridiculous. They are past it and would only be a stop gap measure. Back the youth and good coaching.

The GroundsKeeper

Allen Oxlade (6)
My thoughts were that if Stewart is selected he played well at the Force with Whitey and Donno. There is a good combination between the 3 of them. Noah has not exactly shot the lights out and Donno has had only one starting Test. Not sure how Schmidt approaches selections but it seems like with the 10’s they are playing like they may be dropped at any moment. They need to be told they will get at least x amount of Tests in a row. So it’s either stick with Noah, which I wouldn’t, as he has had 4 this year, or give Donno a run of 4 Tests. My bench has Gordon to come on with his intercept ability at the back end and Noah who is solid on goal kicking. Kellaway can cover wing and fullback. Lynagh just isn’t ready imho and has hamstring issues. He may be good in the future but I can’t get the excitement about him. They are our only 3 10’s though so we have to be patient. Talk of QC (Quade Cooper) (Quade Cooper), JOC (James O'Connor) (James O'Connor) or Foley is ridiculous. They are past it and would only be a stop gap measure. Back the youth and good coaching.
I think stay with Gordon he is younger and has proven his worth to the team, but yes agree Donno and Stewart 5/8 and inside would be a good compo that should be tested against ARG

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Lynagh has shown in Super Rugby this year that he has good structure to his game and good instincts. He knows when to pass and when to kick and invariably turns up in the right place at the right time in defence. He also has a decent boot and reads the play well or has good rugby IQ. I’m not sure where he gets it from(sic) but both Lolesio and Donaldson do not appear to have it.
He is very young and it is probably too soon but he is the most likely to become our mainstay at 10 out of the 3 in the squad.

I think all the options do this to a reasonable degree in Super Rugby but I don't think any of them are obviously good enough to become consistently good test players.

I like Lynagh as well but at this point most of it is based on the fact that he's a few years younger so there is hopefully greater room for improvement in the next couple of years.

The thing that clearly works against Lynagh is that he isn't a great athlete.

The Bulldozer

Stan Wickham (3)
My take on the needing to be improved wallabies backline
Well said but I think against a team like ARG how we should be beating, I think that Gordon should be the halfback, I would love to see lyngah at 10, he has shown the impact he can have off the bench and he needs a chance to start. I also believe that this is the series where Schmidt can release young and promising inside center of Hamish Stewart into the team, Keep Ikitau out outside, and then keep the back 3 the same which on there day are all very talented players.

And then with that you have Tate, Flook and maybe one more back if need be on the bench.

I also believe that Corey Toole needs to be given a go when that is, is up to Joe
I'd agree with you on everything there except I think have Donaldson starting at 10 and Lolesio off the bench

The Bulldozer

Stan Wickham (3)
I hate to say it but we would be pretty lucky to get a win in this rugby championship. We put up a solid fight a South Africa and I think we could get closer to winning against Argentina. I know its not what the fans want but would it hurt to keep testing new combinations to see what works well? I do think Schmidt is more focused on building up the team for the future than too worried about performance right now (Although I'm sure he does care about it)
I do hope they prove me wrong though and maybe snatch a win

Dctarget

Tim Horan (67)
I'll stop bleating about including Staniforth for a few months now, he's been ruled out of the Top 14 season start with an ankle operation.

capalaba

Larry Dwyer (12)
I hate to say it but we would be pretty lucky to get a win in this rugby championship. We put up a solid fight a South Africa and I think we could get closer to winning against Argentina. I know its not what the fans want but would it hurt to keep testing new combinations to see what works well? I do think Schmidt is more focused on building up the team for the future than too worried about performance right now (Although I'm sure he does care about it)
I do hope they prove me wrong though and maybe snatch a win
Agreed that we would be lucky to to get a win, totally disagree with your assessment that we put up a solid fight against South Africa. We lost by 26 and 18 points hardly a good example of a solid fight, more like we got KO in the first round.

The GroundsKeeper

Allen Oxlade (6)
I think we have to remember that Joe is building up for the worldcup in 3 years yes wins are good now but he is looking at the long run whihc is trying to bring the web ellis back on aussie soil. I think all games now need to be used as test try different combo's over the next few seasons, as well as this with the newly updated spring tour as well

capalaba

Larry Dwyer (12)
We always need to be focussed on winning, we always had a winning culture. Yes focus on the RWC but we need to win every game and stop making excuses like a lot are for our loses on this forum.

TheScrumMachine

Stan Wickham (3)
Agreed that we would be lucky to to get a win, totally disagree with your assessment that we put up a solid fight against South Africa. We lost by 26 and 18 points hardly a good example of a solid fight, more like we got KO in the first round.
I understand your frustration, but I see things a bit differently. While it's true that the scores against South Africa were tough to swallow, we have to remember that Australia is still in the early stages of rebuilding and refining their game. South Africa is one of the top teams in the world, and facing them is never easy. Despite the losses, there were moments where Australia showed real potential and resilience.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
To play devil's advocate, this could also be one of his biggest strengths moving forward - having to work hard and play smart rugby, as opposed to resting on the laurels of freakish natural talent.

I agree with this. Part of the problem Aussie rugby has had over the last decade or so is the perception of too much focus on x-factor players, especially in the inside backs. Sexton, Pollard and other top flight 10's aren't really in that category, but they have clearly spent many, many hours working on the fundamentals of their position. I'll settle for a less naturally gifted player who works incredibly hard, takes great options and executes the foundational skill to a very high degree.

Noddy wasn't the freak that Mark Ella or Larkham were, but he was as successful an international 10 as both.

Last edited:

TheScrumMachine

Stan Wickham (3)
I agree with this. Part of the problem Aussie rugby has had over the last decade or so is the perception of too much focus on x-factor players, especially in the inside backs. Sexton, Pollard and other top flight 10's aren't really in that category, but they have clearly spend many, many hours working on the fundamentals of their position. I'll settle for a less naturally gifted player who works incredibly hard, takes great options and executions the foundational skill to a very high degree.

Noddy wasn't the freak that Mark Ella or Larkham were, but he was as successful an international 10 as both.
Well said, i couldn't agree with you more

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
To play devil's advocate, this could also be one of his biggest strengths moving forward - having to work hard and play smart rugby, as opposed to resting on the laurels of freakish natural talent.

I just think you need both to compete with the top few sides in the world in the modern game.

9 and 10 are probably the only positions where that is maybe more possible to do without being a supreme athlete but I think it is getting harder and harder. Most of the best players across all positions in the top teams are great athletes who are also excellent at rugby.

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
Problem is that Lolesio was a deer in the headlights under pressure in those SA tests, particularly the first, so we were unable to implement our game plan on the rare occasions we had the pill. Nothing kicks and late passes to those in a worse position than himself. We need a quick thinking 10 who can make decisions on the run and execute. Lolesio is also not particularly fast. Donaldson is the most athletically gifted of the 3 for now. Lynagh may become more so but he just seems a bit more single minded in his execution and as JS has said on several occasions, has a big ticker.