• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Wallabies 2024

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Problem is that Lolesio was a deer in the headlights under pressure in those SA tests, particularly the first, so we were unable to implement our game plan on the rare occasions we had the pill. Nothing kicks and late passes to those in a worse position than himself. We need a quick thinking 10 who can make decisions on the run and execute. Lolesio is also not particularly fast. Donaldson is the most athletically gifted of the 3 for now. Lynagh may become more so but he just seems a bit more single minded in his execution and as JS has said on several occasions, has a big ticker.

I think that is all reasonable.

I agree that none of them are great athletes and Donaldson is the best of the three and Lolesio not particularly ahead of Lynagh in that regard.

It's a bit of a negative view which I've expressed before but I don't think any of them will end up being long term starters.

tig

Bob McCowan (2)
I also think Kellaway should be in danger of getting dropped, has been pretty disappointing. Would be happy to see Toole or Jorgensen get a crack starting on the wing in one of these next 2 tests
He did get burned for pace for one of those SA tries.

chasmac

Dave Cowper (27)
Forwards win matches.
The backs haven't looked great but they are behind a well beaten pack. If we had all of our best forwards available and they were well coached/drilled we might get to parity in some parts of the game v the boks. Scrum, lineout, kickoff receipt (not many of those)! phase play, lineout defense all need improvement before you can expect the backs to up their performance. Player swapping in the backs seems pointless right now unless they can fill in at tight head for some scrums

Wilson

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Not sure there's much more to this than paper talk, but McDonald would be an interesting pickup for Schmidt's staff:

They've got an existing working relationship which helps and Schmidt hasn't picked up an attack focused AC so there's a bit of room there for him. I could only see it being a short term appointment to see out the year, but without too many coaching jobs available right at the minute McDonald might be open to exactly that while he waits for something to open up (the Crusaders to sack Rob Penney).

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
The good news is Petaia's not going to the NRL...

Jordan Petaia, once touted as one of the best talents in Australian rugby, is at the centre of a tug-of-war between the NFL and Western Force, who are keen to stop him from switching codes when his Queensland Reds deal runs out.

Petaia, 24, is coming off contract with the Reds and is understood to have been approached by the NFL after catching the eye of scouts who have been looking at potential recruits for their International Player Pathway programme.

If he does opt to move to the United States, Petaia, who earlier this year was touted for an NRL move to St George Illawarra, would become the second international star after Louis Rees-Zammit to join their programme.

LeCheese

John Thornett (49)
The good news is Petaia's not going to the NRL...

It feels like the exact same article has been run about 4 times now in the last 6 months - I'm not saying there isn't some form of interest from the NFL, but it's sounding more and more like his agent trying to boost his contract

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
I feel that there is an opportunity to beat Argentina. If we can get our best pack on the field we should have the ascendency at scrum time. Our lineout is improving and Frost should be back to help that. I like they way we attack the opposition breakdown, we could get pay here against the Argies as they may need to add bodies to the breakdown or we may win the odd turnover.
They play a more passive defence that will help our backs out, if Stewart is the option at 12 it will take some pressure off him too as he can be more of a distributer and hopefully be a defensive wall.
Our kicking game will be key. It has been pretty disappointing so far and is a key area we need to sort out if we want to improve.

My major concern is the decision to have limited training blocks in week there are no tests. I would have thought that more time on the training field would be beneficial for the team, especially with so many changes. I'd be an advocate for bringing back Camp Wallaby.

The GroundsKeeper

Allen Oxlade (6)
I feel that there is an opportunity to beat Argentina. If we can get our best pack on the field we should have the ascendency at scrum time. Our lineout is improving and Frost should be back to help that. I like they way we attack the opposition breakdown, we could get pay here against the Argies as they may need to add bodies to the breakdown or we may win the odd turnover.
They play a more passive defence that will help our backs out, if Stewart is the option at 12 it will take some pressure off him too as he can be more of a distributer and hopefully be a defensive wall.
Our kicking game will be key. It has been pretty disappointing so far and is a key area we need to sort out if we want to improve.

My major concern is the decision to have limited training blocks in week there are no tests. I would have thought that more time on the training field would be beneficial for the team, especially with so many changes. I'd be an advocate for bringing back Camp Wallaby.
100% agree if Joe gets the team right then we should beat ARG

The Bulldozer

Stan Wickham (3)
100% agree if Joe gets the team right then we should beat ARG
That's easier said than done unfortunately. Its all when and good to train the team up but it all comes down to the players performance. He can't control if we are missing our conversions or dropping the ball. I'm sure that he will get our set piece right up to the highest level and the scrum dominating then I think we have a solid shot at beating them but it really comes down to how well the players can execute at a given moment.

Dctarget

Tim Horan (67)
If we advance further up the football ground and get through the tackling defenders, we should be able to progress into a scoring opportunity and apply pressure onto the defensive team, and in doing so hopefully achieve the directive of a positive points differential.
To beat Argentina, be wise,
With tactics that’ll win the prize.
In scrums and in rucks,
Outplay with no muck,
And let no poor discipline rise.

Adam84

Phil Kearns (64)
That's easier said than done unfortunately. Its all when and good to train the team up but it all comes down to the players performance. He can't control if we are missing our conversions or dropping the ball. I'm sure that he will get our set piece right up to the highest level and the scrum dominating then I think we have a solid shot at beating them but it really comes down to how well the players can execute at a given moment.
How to say a lot without saying much at all…

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
It looked as though JS went into the Bok tests with a very conservative and simple game plan trying to build the base. They stuck to it for both games. There will likely be more opportunity to open up and attack in these two upcoming games.

John S

Chilla Wilson (44)
A lot of coaches on here with those "it's a game of two halves" type platitudes :)

The Argies probably aren't as easy to beat as they have been in the past. Like @fatprop said - need to see a team, not just some good individual performances.

Reactions: dru