• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Wallabies 2024

The Bulldozer

Stan Wickham (3)
You could probably say the same about Koroibete for the most part.

I'd put it down to our backline being pretty disastrous. 9/10/12 have generally been bad and that has been reflected in our lack of stability in those positions.
Are you talking past 2 years or right now?
If for right now I'd agree with you that the backline has not been in the best of form but Jake Gordon I believe has been playing out of his skin and has really taken a step up for the Wallabies. I think that he was a big impact not playing against South Africa, but then again, he can't be properly utilized if the 9/10/12 combination is not gelling.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Are you talking past 2 years or right now?
If for right now I'd agree with you that the backline has not been in the best of form but Jake Gordon I believe has been playing out of his skin and has really taken a step up for the Wallabies. I think that he was a big impact not playing against South Africa, but then again, he can't be properly utilized if the 9/10/12 combination is not gelling.

I am saying that for a lot of his test career Koroibete has been world class. I don't think we saw much of that in 2023 but largely I'd put that down to the backline being pretty awful in general starting with that 9/10/12 axis.

I don't think Jake Gordon on his own has really shifted things. He played very well against Wales but on his own he isn't exactly making our backline shine (nor should he be expected to).

The reality is we have White who is probably past it, McDermott who has always had a lot of promise but really hasn't improved as he should (and now another coach is fairly clearly not viewing him as the starter) and Gordon who before this year really hadn't performed at test level.

The GroundsKeeper

Allen Oxlade (6)
I am saying that for a lot of his test career Koroibete has been world class. I don't think we saw much of that in 2023 but largely I'd put that down to the backline being pretty awful in general starting with that 9/10/12 axis.

I don't think Jake Gordon on his own has really shifted things. He played very well against Wales but on his own he isn't exactly making our backline shine (nor should he be expected to).

The reality is we have White who is probably past it, McDermott who has always had a lot of promise but really hasn't improved as he should (and now another coach is fairly clearly not viewing him as the starter) and Gordon who before this year really hadn't performed at test level.
My take on the needing to be improved wallabies backline
Well said but I think against a team like ARG how we should be beating, I think that Gordon should be the halfback, I would love to see lyngah at 10, he has shown the impact he can have off the bench and he needs a chance to start. I also believe that this is the series where Schmidt can release young and promising inside center of Hamish Stewart into the team, Keep Ikitau out outside, and then keep the back 3 the same which on there day are all very talented players.

And then with that you have Tate, Flook and maybe one more back if need be on the bench.

I also believe that Corey Toole needs to be given a go when that is, is up to Joe

Strewthcobber

Steve Williams (59)
I've got to say I'm a bit mysterfied by how so many people are convinced by Lynagh to date.

He's passed the ball 5 times total in his international career. One of those was in the attacking half. He's basically made no impact off the bench at all.

I'm not saying he won't be good, I just don't get why people are convinced that he's ready to start test rugby based on what we've seen so far?

The GroundsKeeper

Allen Oxlade (6)
I've got to say I'm a bit mysterfied by how so many people are convinced by Lynagh to date.

He's passed the ball 5 times total in his international career. One of those was in the attacking half. He's basically made no impact off the bench at all.

I'm not saying he won't be good, I just don't get why people are convinced that he's ready to start test rugby based on what we've seen so far?
100% agree but I think for some time now or really since Larkham, maybe Foley we haven't had a solid 5/8, so I say what's the risk of giving Tommy run in the next few weeks

Yoda

Jim Clark (26)

Strewth … he’s not ready…. the kid has hamstring issues already and people want to throw him under the bus to start a Test… their kidding. They must be listening to the great rugby maestro big Hazza Jones!

Tomthumb

Dick Tooth (41)

It’s less being impressed by him, and more being wholly unimpressed with the others

Derpus

Nathan Sharpe (72)

Desperation.

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
Lynagh has shown in Super Rugby this year that he has good structure to his game and good instincts. He knows when to pass and when to kick and invariably turns up in the right place at the right time in defence. He also has a decent boot and reads the play well or has good rugby IQ. I’m not sure where he gets it from(sic) but both Lolesio and Donaldson do not appear to have it.
He is very young and it is probably too soon but he is the most likely to become our mainstay at 10 out of the 3 in the squad.

Mr Pilfer

Dave Cowper (27)
White
Donaldson
Stewart
Ikitau
Koroibete
Jorgensen
Wright
Bench:
Gordon
Lolesio
Kellaway

For the next 4 Tests too, barring injury.
I also think Kellaway should be in danger of getting dropped, has been pretty disappointing. Would be happy to see Toole or Jorgensen get a crack starting on the wing in one of these next 2 tests

Sword of Justice

Trevor Allan (34)
I also think Kellaway should be in danger of getting dropped, has been pretty disappointing. Would be happy to see Toole or Jorgensen get a crack starting on the wing in one of these next 2 tests
Yeah I don’t think he and Wright work well together. They seem to take away from each other’s strongest points.

Wright played well last test and has been solid for the last few so I would also select a fast option on the wing.

Strewthcobber

Steve Williams (59)
Lynagh has shown in Super Rugby this year that he has good structure to his game and good instincts.
I don't really disagree, but for the sake of throwing some bombs into the discussion in a non-test week......

I don't think he's too young (he is 21, not some child prodigy), the problem is he's too small and slow, and now he has hamstring isssues.

He had zero try assists in Super Rugby, and by far the worst kick percentage of any of our options - including Gordon. The highlight reel that the Reds put out for his season was comical in its lack of highlights.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
White
Donaldson
Stewart
Ikitau
Koroibete
Jorgensen
Wright
Bench:
Gordon
Lolesio
Kellaway

For the next 4 Tests too, barring injury.
Why White? He looks slow

I think we need to stay with the current choices and build some cohesion

Strewthcobber

Steve Williams (59)
Why White? He looks slow

I think we need to stay with the current choices and build some cohesion
Yeah, these two tests are the ones that will get by far the least amount of attention until the Lions Tour.

If Gordon and Lolesio are first choice (as it seems to be with Schmidt) then give them these two tests as gimmes to work together a bit more before the Bled pressure cooker