• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Wallabies 2024

Wilson

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Have a feeling we might see Feliuai given first crack, with Stewart a chance on the bench, particularly if we want to try something different and go 6-2. Might come down to Lynagh's hamstring.

KOB1987

John Eales (66)
I'm not really keen on shifting in one of our few world class players from their preferred position...

It's time to give one of these other guys an opportunity.
I agree in principle with most of this but who determined that Len Ikitau is world class? Very good player and certainly one of the few auto picks in our squad, but doesn't world class imply that if you were picking a world xv he would be in it, at 13? Or put another way, he'd make the best xv, at 13, for every international side in the world? Someone else can go through the exercise but I think it is debatable that he has reached those heights.

Khun Phil

Frank Row (1)
I'm with you - I like his articles. I met him at a Roar function in Lyon before the Australia-Wales game and he's a really good bloke. As were Geoff Parkes, Tony Harper and Morgs.
That's good to hear,as he has always come across as a decent bloke to me,too.I was a little surprised to see the criticism here about him.He always responds well to comments on his articles even when not complimentary to him.I am just envious of his rugby watching lifestyle and he seems to like a drink or two!

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I don't think that is a reasonable definition of world class. Generally there's very little difference between the top few players at each position. I think it's more whether a player would hold their own against those guys on a consistent basis (i.e. they wouldn't look out of place if they played instead of that player).

I would say Angus Bell, sometimes (maybe occasionally) Taniela Tupou, Rob Valetini, Len Ikitau and Marika Koroibete are our only players who you could say fit that description.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
That's good to hear,as he has always come across as a decent bloke to me,too.I was a little surprised to see the criticism here about him.He always responds well to comments on his articles even when not complimentary to him.I am just envious of his rugby watching lifestyle and he seems to like a drink or two!

I don't think there's any connection between whether or not someone is a good bloke and whether or not they're a good writer etc.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I agree in principle with most of this but who determined that Len Ikitau is world class? Very good player and certainly one of the few auto picks in our squad, but doesn't world class imply that if you were picking a world xv he would be in it, at 13? Or put another way, he'd make the best xv, at 13, for every international side in the world? Someone else can go through the exercise but I think it is debatable that he has reached those heights.

I'd say he was widely regarded as one of the best outside centres in international rugby prior to injury and Eddie last year...

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I don't think we've seen world class form from Ikitau in 2 years.

He put in an enormous effort against Argentina last year before having to come off...

There was this little nugget in the rugbypass player ratings from the weekend that highlights his value:

What often goes unnoticed, though, is Ikitau’s leadership. The midfielder was seen numerous times barking orders to his teammates and ordering them to fill gaps that the Springboks might’ve otherwise exploited.

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
I agree, while he is our best 13 he wouldn't make my world 15 or my second 15 and probably not the 3rd 15.

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
I don't think that is a reasonable definition of world class. Generally there's very little difference between the top few players at each position. I think it's more whether a player would hold their own against those guys on a consistent basis (i.e. they wouldn't look out of place if they played instead of that player).

I would say Angus Bell, sometimes (maybe occasionally) Taniela Tupou, Rob Valetini, Len Ikitau and Marika Koroibete are our only players who you could say fit that description.
We've had these discussions over the years. Out of the players you've named the only one I'd call world class is Tupou and not right now.

Tomthumb

Dick Tooth (41)
C’mon now Harry, back to work

Khun Phil

Frank Row (1)
I don't think there's any connection between whether or not someone is a good bloke and whether or not they're a good writer etc.
True,but I happen to think he is a good writer too.He always has a different slant on things to the run of the mill rugby writers.Obviously doesn't appeal to everyone,but that's life.We all have our own preferences.