• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Wallabies 2024

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I really don't understand Blythe over Canham unless he is also leaving.

Would have liked to have seen Kuenzle get a crack. We will certainly need some overseas players in for TRC to bolster this squad (BPA, Skelton, Marika at a minimum)

Rumours now circling that he is leaving...

Tomthumb

John Solomon (38)
No but when your skipped over for Angus Blyth and you put play others in the squad like he did Frost... Seems pretty clear his surplus for whatever reason... That reason doesn't seem to be playing talent or form.. so probably more likely something he can't change..e.g. Joe doesn't like his character
It’s not clear at all, you’re just making assumptions. He’s not John Eales, there are obviously improvements that they believe he needs to make

He missed the first squad of the year, he isn’t banished for life. We should be encouraging these guys to stick in Aussie Rugby and keep putting their best foot forward

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
It’s not clear at all, you’re just making assumptions. He’s not John Eales, there are obviously improvements that they believe he needs to make

He missed the first squad of the year, he isn’t banished for life. We should be encouraging these guys to stick in Aussie Rugby and keep putting their best foot forward
and the way our players last 22 minutes before getting injured he could still end up getting a run

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
Really?

He's generally been raved about as a squad member by his teammates (despite his past behavioural failings) and his addition to the Force this year was regularly sighted as a positive influence by his teammates for the experience he added.

His decent form this year combined with Schmidt's statements about the value of experience and players coaching each other and the otherwise lack of experience we have made it seem very likely he'd be in the squad.
I’ve heard plenty of people rave about him. I’ve also heard plenty of chat that if depends very much which circle you’re in and that he can be quite a negative influence on team discipline and perceptions around equal treatment across the squad.

It’s all here say on my part so it could be wrong - but I think one think very clear over the last 20 years is that general popularity in a squad is a very different thing to being a good influence.

Given Schmidt’s reputation you’d assume he’s done a thorough due diligence and that in itself supports your statement that he is a good influence but I have to admit I have concerns.

LeCheese

Jim Lenehan (48)
Schmidt singled out R.Lonergan and Swain as being tough/close calls

Also mentioned a lot of weight placed on finals performances which makes me think it might have been the reason Swain wasnt picked
In my mind it's a reasonably even race between him, Daugunu, and Beale for the 23 jumper. Be interesting to see how Schmidt sees it

Brumby Runner

Jason Little (69)
38 man squad is pretty huge.
I reckon we are going to see a lot of changes between the 2nd Welsh and the Georgian test. Everyone going to get a run
Could be a recipe for disaster. I can't see Schmidt getting the Wallabies up for a win in the first test against Wales and the second one would also be doubtful, though hopefully an improvement over the first.

Assuming no wins against Wales, or only one, but so long as the team is showing signs of improvement, then it would be a better proposition I believe to build on the team as it then stands. It would be a huge backward step to lose to Georgia and they are a much improved side over recent years. Would probably see the Wallabies drop out of the top 10 rated sides.

Reactions: dru

Brumby Runner

Jason Little (69)
Really?

He's generally been raved about as a squad member by his teammates (despite his past behavioural failings) and his addition to the Force this year was regularly sighted as a positive influence by his teammates for the experience he added.

His decent form this year combined with Schmidt's statements about the value of experience and players coaching each other and the otherwise lack of experience we have made it seem very likely he'd be in the squad.
BH I daresay Beale's inclusion is blowing the minds of just about every fan atm with the exception of a few dyed in the wool light blue supporters. WTF is any of his Force team mates going to say when questioned about him by the media? And in a team that finished out of the finals, he made very little impact. It is just not right.

I reckon the dismal one (Dismal Pillock for the unitnitiated) could do a pole (poll) on which of the behavioural failings is most likely to reappear in the gold jumper.

LeCheese

Jim Lenehan (48)
He's picked 3 locks ahead of Swain who didn't even play a final
Yeah - so clearly Swain's individual performance in the finals wasn't viewed favourably, with respect to what Schmidt had seen from the other contenders when they had last played. Swain's not automatically going to be picked over another player just because his team played for an extra 1 or 2 weeks...

Last edited:

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
Why is Blyth in there?
Yeah, that's the only real head scratcher for me...
Yeah. It surprised me, too. I have always said Blyth has every thing you need to be a top level lock except the top two inches. This year I have noticed a more mature attitude from him and a better work ethic, but he only played 3 or 4 games from memory. Hardly a body of work.