• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Wallabies 2024

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
I'll preface this by stating I watched less Super Rugby this year than any other year, and did not see many Force games ( only slightly fewer than Tahs games ), so did not see Beale much.
He has always seemed to me to be a utility. We've been down the path of multiple utility type players in teams before, and besides a few exceptions, it never seems to work as well as promised.
I can't really see his utility now. He's a skilful player, but not best at any position he might play.
Schmidt knows his onions, but I question this pick too.
Personally, I think Wales will win one, if not both Tests. We've too many weak spots, as far as I can see.

Strewthcobber

Andrew Slack (58)
I'll preface this by stating I watched less Super Rugby this year than any other year, and did not see many Force games ( only slightly fewer than Tahs games ), so did not see Beale much.
He has always seemed to me to be a utility. We've been down the path of multiple utility type players in teams before, and besides a few exceptions, it never seems to work as well as promised.
I can't really see his utility now. He's a skilful player, but not best at any position he might play.
Schmidt knows his onions, but I question this pick too.
Personally, I think Wales will win one, if not both Tests. We've too many weak spots, as far as I can see.
I think he's just the dirt tracker 15. Not going to get a game except maybe against Georgia if there are injuries

KOB1987

John Eales (66)
Campbell is a better selection if we're after a dirt tracker then. Beale wastes the spot.
How so? Kurtley has 95 test caps, Jock has 4. I think on that criteria alone he wouldn't even qualify as a dirt tracker. I'll be surprised if he is in the match day 23 but he played some pretty solid games for the Force so I'm not surprised to see him in the squad.

rugbyAU

Colin Windon (37)
How so? Kurtley has 95 test caps, Jock has 4. I think on that criteria alone he wouldn't even qualify as a dirt tracker. I'll be surprised if he is in the match day 23 but he played some pretty solid games for the Force so I'm not surprised to see him in the squad.
He was alright for the Force in like 6-7 games but didn't set the world on fire and he won't be in professional rugby for much longer. He also didn't play any pro rugby last year

KOB1987

John Eales (66)
He was alright for the Force in like 6-7 games but didn't set the world on fire and he won't be in professional rugby for much longer. He also didn't play any pro rugby last year
Which wasn't really by choice. I don't want to go into that, but players miss whole seasons through injury and then get selected. At least he was in training the whole time.

rugbyAU

Colin Windon (37)
Did the few games he played for the force really show he was wallaby deserving, sure he was alright and we're light on outside backs but I don't think his Super Rugby performances are those that would put you into a test side

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
People were up in arms about the lack of experience that was picked last year and now we aren’t happy that a 95 test veteran is picked?
Not sure if anyone is "up in arms", but somewhat bemused, yes. I can see his use in the training setting, no doubt, as he does have a lot of experience, which is valuable enough.
We'll see soon enough.

rugbyAU

Colin Windon (37)
I really hope not given they're #10 and came last in the 6 nations and we're at home (but we have a trash record at Sydney and Melbourne)

KiwiM

Nev Cottrell (35)
Did the few games he played for the force really show he was wallaby deserving, sure he was alright and we're light on outside backs but I don't think his Super Rugby performances are those that would put you into a test side

I thought he was excellent considering his age, his time away from rugby and coming straight into a new environment. I was expecting him to be totally washed but that was not the case. Makes total sense in a team crying out for experience that he has been included in a 38 man squad.

Tazzmania

Johnnie Wallace (23)
What a refreshing interview to watch Joe Schmidt talk about the team and the selections on Stan in "First Squad".

He talks about the selections, the process to find a captain, and that the team needs to be hard working so that they can win the fans back.

No spin, talks humbly, and wants to work with the players to make them better. It was all about "we" and not "I".

Went up another notch in my humble opinion.

Linerunner2023

Bill Watson (15)
You need a mix of experience to assist the youth
Lasts years RWC missed the experience
I would not be totally surprised to see Beale as 23 or even 15 with kellaway and Wright on the wings
Tbh not many outside backs are certainties yet especially with no koribete, petaia and Marky N around