• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Wallabies 2024

Derpus

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Yeah Simmons was excellent he just wasn't very physically dominant. Now all our locks are not physically dominant and can only dream of Simmons technical excellence.

Tomthumb

Chilla Wilson (44)
I disagree on everything other than over the ball (which in a team with pocock and hooper, why is this needed?). Probably even keel at the lineout but otherwise I'd say Valetini's size helps him as a defender while still being agile.

And while he's not really used as a link player - his size and strength as a ball carrier more than makes up for it.

On balance of strengths - I think he gets picked in that final team if both are fit, healthy and at their peaks
He was targeted on defense during the Rugby Championship. He was caught out quite a bit being too slow laterally

Strewthcobber

Simon Poidevin (60)
I disagree on everything other than over the ball (which in a team with pocock and hooper, why is this needed?). Probably even keel at the lineout but otherwise I'd say Valetini's size helps him as a defender while still being agile.

And while he's not really used as a link player - his size and strength as a ball carrier more than makes up for it.

On balance of strengths - I think he gets picked in that final team if both are fit, healthy and at their peaks
Fardy was always a genuine lineout option and even called the lineout at Wallaby level (regularly at Super Rugby level). He was a far better lineout operator than Valetini is.

Ignoto

Greg Davis (50)
Not sure the likes of Palu, Timani, Higgenbotham, Hanigan or Mumm would have stood up either
In 2016 we had Fardy, Liam Gill, Hooper, Leroy Houston, McCalman, Sean McMahon, Mumm, Palu and Pocock in the squad.

For some reason, Chieka was never able to Houston to replicate his overseas form and both Gill and McMahon decided to leave to earn extra cash.

I agree that there was nothing stopping that golden generation of All Black players, but you would have hoped and we expected to be closer.

Derpus

Nathan Sharpe (72)
In 2016 we had Fardy, Liam Gill, Hooper, Leroy Houston, McCalman, Sean McMahon, Mumm, Palu and Pocock in the squad.

For some reason, Chieka was never able to Houston to replicate his overseas form and both Gill and McMahon decided to leave to earn extra cash.

I agree that there was nothing stopping that golden generation of All Black players, but you would have hoped and we expected to be closer.
Yeah it all went to shit in 2016 and has never really gotten better.

Strewthcobber

Simon Poidevin (60)
In the context of the Pooper, McMahon and Gill barely change the equation, Paul was injured the whole time and Mumm, Houston and McCalman are good players, but a bit meh....would they have improved our chances more than just having our two best players on the field?

I think we probably just end up losing by more if we went with another combo

LevitatingSocks

Bill Watson (15)
Bit of chaos in the English camp heading into the EOYT:

They'll still be favourites to beat us but this does leave them a bit more vulnerable, particularly if they're struggling to get the defence changeover sorted.
Two coaches (one of them a recent RWC winner) wanting to jump ship on the eve of a tour screams that Borthwick learned the wrong lessons from his tenure as Eddie's protege.

Forcing Felix Jones to stay and work remotely only reinforces my opinion.

Why would you keep someone in the set-up who vocally and furthermore publicly does not want to be there? Do you think you're getting his best work?