• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Wallabies 2024

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)

Cheika's preferred backrow had been Fardy/Hooper/Palu up until he went with the Fardy Pooper.

Hypothetically, Valetini would come off the bench or replace one of the latter, and not Fardy.

Anyways, vastly different players playing at different times.

stillmissit

Ken Catchpole (46)
No, that's just downright silly.

And they're not even a similar style of player... it would be like comparing Hooper to Valetini.

In a fantasy world where you had peak Fardy and Valetini you would play both of them in the backrow.

Fardy was arguably the form 6 of the 2015 RWC, which is saying something as Kaino was also immense in that tournament, but Fardy did wind up on a lot of publications "best of" lists that year.
Fardy was the best 6 we have had in a very long time. Valetini is a good 6 and fills the gain line and tackling needs but Fardy had the smarts and all-round ability.
Seems to be doing a decent job with Warringah. Let's hope he gets a better career trajectory than in Super Rugby.

Last edited:
Reactions: dru

Ignoto

Greg Davis (50)
You can only appreciate the good times when they're gone :(
There's a bit of revisionism going on here to be fair.

After that 2015 final lost, we won 6 out of 15 games in 2016.

We had 5 straight loses (6 if you include the final) where 3 of those loses came against the English who we spanked at home 8 months earlier.

The first game against the English had 14 out of the 23 who played in the Final as well.

The Ghost of Raelene

Simon Poidevin (60)
Squeak Moore potentially gets overlooked in 2024 because the hooker position is quite dynamic now and he’s very much a traditional hooker.

In saying that, his leadership and ability to nail lineout throws probably mean he’s still picked as captain and gets the nod, although I think Faessler the ability to hold down the position.
I think Moore would be starting easily IMO for the Wallabies. Maybe not other nations but we don't have one of the really dynamic guys in the 23 at the moment. Pollard would be the most explosive with BPA behind him then Lonergan and Vailanu who isn't eligble and too small in reality. Faessler, Nasser and Porecki are traditional Hookers.

People getting very excited about seeing their sides players at Wallaby camp but it seems anyone with studs in their boots has been invited. I like the guy and think he's been a great servant but if Muirhead is running around then it really shows the net has been thrown. Same goes for Horton.
He's also not an idiot and played rugby for years as a recent high schooler - this is arguably the least risky league transfer we've had in terms of difficulty to adapt.
You hear him talk and watch him play, he's clearly not an idiot who's going to go ballistic and be caught out of place. Yes they will show the SOO hit on Walsh but that had a lot of factors playing into it and he knew it was a bad shot. Wasn't like a Swinton who you know the eyes are rolling and it was inevitable.

JRugby2

Watty Friend (18)

We had 5 straight loses (6 if you include the final) where 3 of those loses came against the English who we spanked at home 8 months earlier.

The first game against the English had 14 out of the 23 who played in the Final as well.
Can you blame us? It's sports gooch season until the November Tests restart and we need something to talk about

All work and no rugby makes jack a dull boy

upthereds#!

Peter Johnson (47)
Wildly different players.

Yeah, Fardy at 6 as a good lineout option with a high workrate and Valetini at 8 as the main ball runner from the backrow would seem a very complementary skillset to pair together.

Essentially why we played Pocock and Hooper together was we didn't have anyone like Valetini at the time (except for Cliffy Palu a couple of times a year when he wasn't injured).
yeh comparing Valetini and fardy is silly billy

6. Fardy. 8. Valetini 7. Pocock/Hooper

That would be a 'traditional' backrow.

Current version would be

6. Williams 8. Valetini 7. Mcreight

Tomthumb

Chilla Wilson (44)
Nah -

McCalman gone sure - but my bet is Fardy is coming off the bench, if picked at all (in case someone more explosive is chosen). Valetini is a also a lineout option and also gets through minutes.

They aren't the same player - because Valetini offers more
Does he?

The Ghost of Raelene

Simon Poidevin (60)

The rush that Chieka can clearly get from a group came crashing down post the high. Hard to say if a different coach would have maintained or grown from that point because I think he's the only guy that could have got them to that final and playing the footy they were to get there.

Love him, hate him or anywhere in between the bloke can pull together a group quickly and course correct. It's a hot flame though with minimal staying power. He'd be exceptional in an academy/U20s role I reckon where players only have a limited time with him but he'd pull them into line.

Tomthumb

Chilla Wilson (44)

And we were a bad refs call from being knocked out in the QF in 2015

JRugby2

Watty Friend (18)
yeh comparing Valetini and fardy is silly billy

6. Fardy. 8. Valetini 7. Pocock/Hooper

That would be a 'traditional' backrow.

Current version would be

6. Williams 8. Valetini 7. Mcreight
I'm not comparing them as if they are like for like - rather just answering the question

Forget the glory days of the 80s & 90s, I'd even love some of that 00s or 10s talent! Which current player is better than their counterpart from the 2015 RWC starting final team?

Israel Folau, Adam Ashley-Cooper, Tevita Kuridrani, Matt Giteau, Drew Mitchell, Bernard Foley, Will Genia, David Pocock, Michael Hooper, Scott Fardy, Rob Simmons, Kane Douglas, Sekope Kepu, Stephen Moore (c), Scott Sio.

I can't see anyone who'd be making this team in the current crop? MAYBE Taniela at full fitness.

Sword of Justice

Nev Cottrell (35)
The real question is which of Hooper and Pocock would you drop to pair Fardy and Valetini.

Cheika would have definitely dropped Pocock. I think in 2015 I’d still have selected Pocock with Hooper to play the last 30 for whichever of Fardy and Valetini is more gassed.

Derpus

Nathan Sharpe (72)
The real question is which of Hooper and Pocock would you drop to pair Fardy and Valetini.

Cheika would have definitely dropped Pocock. I think in 2015 I’d still have selected Pocock with Hooper to play the last 30 for whichever of Fardy and Valetini is more gassed.
Hooper was more or less always preferred at 7 by every coach he played under.

The way they were playing in 2015, though, I don't think Valetini makes the side.

Alex Sharpe

Ward Prentice (10)

You would be dropping Rob Simmons and putting Fardy in the Row

Sword of Justice

Nev Cottrell (35)
Hooper was more or less always preferred at 7 by every coach he played under.

The way they were playing in 2015, though, I don't think Valetini makes the side.
Pocock had missed a lot of time with injury in the preceding 3 years but was fully fit for that rwc. He’d basically never been a bench selection when available other than with Cheika from memory.

I think if you had Valetini in that team it would be much better balanced. Kuridrani was the only bash option in the whole 23. The amount of work rate from the pack would have allowed Valetini to run riot.

JRugby2

Watty Friend (18)
Care to elaborate? As I'd have Fardy as a better lineout forward, better link player, better over the ball, better laterally in defense
I disagree on everything other than over the ball (which in a team with pocock and hooper, why is this needed?). Probably even keel at the lineout but otherwise I'd say Valetini's size helps him as a defender while still being agile.

And while he's not really used as a link player - his size and strength as a ball carrier more than makes up for it.

On balance of strengths - I think he gets picked in that final team if both are fit, healthy and at their peaks