• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Wallabies 2024

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Okay next question, odds that Sua'ali'i gets on for the Wallabies? I reckon there's a 30% chance. Have him come off the bench against Bristol on the 8th, start him on against England A on the 17th then bam off the bench for the Wallabies against Scotland on the 25th.

I'm more like 80%. I'll be surprised if he isn't capped on the EOYT.

Wilson

Phil Kearns (64)
Few names coming out from the Reds/Force wallabies sessions, mostly focusing on uncapped players:
Though he's still uncapped at Super level, De Lutiis boasts three Reds appearances against Saitama Wild Knights, Wales and Tonga and trained alongside fellow Reds tighthead props Zane Nongorr under the watchful eye of scrum guru Mike Cron.

Ryan Smith, Harry McLaughlin-Phillips, Tim Ryan, John Bryant, Joe Brial and Lachie Anderson were also among the uncapped players training under Wallabies coach Joe Schmidt.
A healthy Western Force crowd also featured at Ballymore on Thursday with the likes of uncapped trio Tom Horton, Harry Potter and Harry Hoopert among their 12-strong contingent.

Also a few more obvious ones:
That's the view of returning centre Hunter Paisami, who trained alongside the likes of Hamish Stewart and Josh Flook as part of this week's Reds-Force Wallabies Hub at Ballymore.
https://www.rugby.com.au/news/paisa...n-as-wallabies-squad-selection-looms-20241017

PhilClinton

Tony Shaw (54)
Forget the glory days of the 80s & 90s, I'd even love some of that 00s or 10s talent! Which current player is better than their counterpart from the 2015 RWC starting final team?

Israel Folau, Adam Ashley-Cooper, Tevita Kuridrani, Matt Giteau, Drew Mitchell, Bernard Foley, Will Genia, David Pocock, Michael Hooper, Scott Fardy, Rob Simmons, Kane Douglas, Sekope Kepu, Stephen Moore (c), Scott Sio.

I can't see anyone who'd be making this team in the current crop? MAYBE Taniela at full fitness.

Squeak Moore potentially gets overlooked in 2024 because the hooker position is quite dynamic now and he’s very much a traditional hooker.

In saying that, his leadership and ability to nail lineout throws probably mean he’s still picked as captain and gets the nod, although I think Faessler the ability to hold down the position.

Overtime

Chris McKivat (8)
Squeak Moore potentially gets overlooked in 2024 because the hooker position is quite dynamic now and he’s very much a traditional hooker.

In saying that, his leadership and ability to nail lineout throws probably mean he’s still picked as captain and gets the nod, although I think Faessler the ability to hold down the position.
Maybe Ikitau for Kuridrani and Bell if fit as well as a fit Taniela.

TSR

Andrew Slack (58)
I think if you had Valetini you would only start 1 of Pocock & Hooper. Even though they were regularly 2 of our best it would add a lot to that team to have a guy like Valetini in the backrow.

Plus Bell. But otherwise (sadly) I agree. There are a couple of line ball decisions but I don’t think anyone else in the current crop is clearly better than the names listed there.

Mr Pilfer

Dave Cowper (27)
Maybe Ikitau for Kuridrani and Bell if fit as well as a fit Taniela.
Few names coming out from the Reds/Force wallabies sessions, mostly focusing on uncapped players:

Also a few more obvious ones:

So 12 from force would be;

Robertson / Hoopert/ BPA / Horton / Swain / Williams / Tizzano / Harris / White / Donaldson / Stewart / Potter /

I think I saw Harris in a photo

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
It's obviously a large contingent of players involved considering 64 players are being selected... almost every available contracted player.

For the Brumbies it's good to see Lachie Lonergan back training and looking like being part of the Aus XV squad.

Aside from the players already selected from the Wallabies this year from the Brumbies contingent, I've spotted the Lonergan brothers, Van Nek, Rory Scott, Sapsford and Muirhead.

rugbyAU

Dick Tooth (41)
Who says anyone is doing that? The view of fans also has zero impact on the actual result. If I get up at 3am on a Sunday morning expecting to watch us lose to England my pessimism doesn't increase our chances of losing.

Looking at the games we are realistically going to start as underdogs in potentially every game except Wales. We will need to produce at least one upset to end the tour with more than one win.

A substantial part of it is also accepting that we have hired capable coaches with significant experience. The coach isn't the one out on the field playing the game. Expecting Joe Schmidt to turn this team into world beaters is very likely unrealistic.
I think Scotland only go in slight favourites

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
yeah no agree, it's not probably.

No disrespect to Fardy but he's not good enough to kiss the boots of Valetini - respectfully.

No, that's just downright silly.

And they're not even a similar style of player... it would be like comparing Hooper to Valetini.

In a fantasy world where you had peak Fardy and Valetini you would play both of them in the backrow.

Fardy was arguably the form 6 of the 2015 RWC, which is saying something as Kaino was also immense in that tournament, but Fardy did wind up on a lot of publications "best of" lists that year.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
It's a hard comparison because with the benefit of hindsight the vast majority of that 2015 team played at career best level in that tournament. They were experienced, had settled combinations and came good at the right time. A guy like Kane Douglas is a great example. I don't think he's realistically better than LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) when you look at their career arcs, and yet the rugby he produced in that tournament was better than anything I've seen from LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto).

Most of our team now are in the first half of their careers so hopefully they can get to those standards in time.

Also I think prime Marika makes that side on the non-AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) wing.

JRugby2

Watty Friend (18)
No, that's just downright silly.

And they're not even a similar style of player... it would be like comparing Hooper to Valetini.

In a fantasy world where you had peak Fardy and Valetini you would play both of them in the backrow.

Fardy was arguably the form 6 of the 2015 RWC, which is saying something as Kaino was also immense in that tournament, but Fardy did wind up on a lot of publications "best of" lists that year.
Yes I know...

And sure - they are different players, but the premise was who of the current squad would replace that list of players from the '10s and Fardy while great I believe wouldn't get picked over Valetini - because of what Valetini offered us.

That RWC we had Fardy, Hooper and Poey in the backrow. Its not a leap to suggest that had Cheika have had a hardnosed ball runner like Valetini at his disposal, he likely would have taken him to diversify that backrow.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
No disrespect to Fardy but he's not good enough to kiss the boots of Valetini - respectfully.

Wildly different players.

Yeah, Fardy at 6 as a good lineout option with a high workrate and Valetini at 8 as the main ball runner from the backrow would seem a very complementary skillset to pair together.

Essentially why we played Pocock and Hooper together was we didn't have anyone like Valetini at the time (except for Cliffy Palu a couple of times a year when he wasn't injured).

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Yes I know...

And sure - they are different players, but the premise was who of the current squad would replace that list of players from the '10s and Fardy while great I believe wouldn't get picked over Valetini - because of what Valetini offered us.

That RWC we had Fardy, Hooper and Poey in the backrow. Its not a leap to suggest that had Cheika have had a hardnosed ball runner like Valetini at his disposal, he likely would have taken him to diversify that backrow.

We used Ben McCalman a fair amount at number 8 in that RWC. You'd pick Valetini there in a heartbeat over him.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Yes I know...

Nah...

If Cheika wanted to stick with the Pooper, Fardy would remain at 6 and Valetini would come off the bench instead of McCalman..

Palu was also initially a member of that RWC squad.

Reactions: dru

JRugby2

Watty Friend (18)
Nah...

If Cheika wanted to stick with the Pooper, Fardy would remain at 6 and Valetini would come off the bench instead of McCalman..

Palu was also initially a member of that RWC squad.
Nah -

McCalman gone sure - but my bet is Fardy is coming off the bench, if picked at all (in case someone more explosive is chosen). Valetini is a also a lineout option and also gets through minutes.

They aren't the same player - because Valetini offers more