• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Wallabies 2024

Hogan

Herbert Moran (7)
A coach is only as good as his players. We are currently ranked 10th in the world for a reason. We simply don’t have the depth of talent that we had back in the 80’s and 90’s. Many reasons for this including the shrinking of the player pool of CHS rugby and poaching raids by NRL clubs on schoolboy talent.

The current players are the best we have. Bringing in one or two players from overseas will make little difference. All we can hope for from Schmidt and the team is that they make small improvements and gradually move up the world rankings. But the days of the Wallabies being ranked in the top 3 of the world are long gone. Sad but true.

Sword of Justice

Nev Cottrell (35)
@Hogan I agree strongly with most of that. There are players in our squad who would not be in the world’s best 50 players in their position. They are the best we have as you say.

Regarding overseas, I actually agree also that 1 or 2 players ain’t doing much. However opening up selection without restriction will improve depth and competition. It could also be used as a way to fight off the NRL. Get paid to play in the south of France and also a chance at the prestige of representing your country is the best of both worlds.

The Ghost of Raelene

Simon Poidevin (60)
@Hogan I agree strongly with most of that. There are players in our squad who would not be in the world’s best 50 players in their position. They are the best we have as you say.

Regarding overseas, I actually agree also that 1 or 2 players ain’t doing much. However opening up selection without restriction will improve depth and competition. It could also be used as a way to fight off the NRL. Get paid to play in the south of France and also a chance at the prestige of representing your country is the best of both worlds.
This is inevitable in my mind. Look how we are tracking with players going overseas in their prime now, look at the salaries offered in the NRL... Levelling the playing field is opening up selection.

I don't think there would be a mass exodus unless international Clubs had zero restriction on foreign players.

Derpus

Nathan Sharpe (72)
This is inevitable in my mind. Look how we are tracking with players going overseas in their prime now, look at the salaries offered in the NRL... Levelling the playing field is opening up selection.

I don't think there would be a mass exodus unless international Clubs had zero restriction on foreign players.
Its been inevitable for a decade.

The Ghost of Raelene

Simon Poidevin (60)
Your'e right, but the sooner we rip the band aid off and let the dust settle after the initial panic of thinking all the players will leave the better.

The Tahs are still going to pay Angus Bell, Reds will pay McDermott and McReight but it's really shit to not be able to pick a guy like Kemeny in the squad atm who was in great form all year when fit. Or when we are on our ass for Props at one point not call Scott Sio or how about give Lucas a run when we seem to be looking for a playmaker to grab the jersey.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
If they open up selection without restrictions I think Super Rugby would die. A knock on effect could be that our pool might diminish as if you have Pacific Island heritage and you align that country you could earn more money, I'm pretty sure there is a EU and PI free trade agreement. We could get to the point where French clubs set up academies here to qualify players as JIFF qualified.

Reactions: TSR

The Ghost of Raelene

Simon Poidevin (60)
If they open up selection without restrictions I think Super Rugby would die. A knock on effect could be that our pool might diminish as if you have Pacific Island heritage and you align that country you could earn more money, I'm pretty sure there is a EU and PI free trade agreement. We could get to the point where French clubs set up academies here to qualify players as JIFF qualified.
I think this is something a lot of people deep down (me included) have already conceded is happening with or without selection restriction. We will have something in place but it will never be what it was and sticking to it clearly isn't having great flow on for the Wallabies anyway.

A lot to happen but it would need WR (World Rugby) to implement rules around qualifying players.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
I think the best thing we could do is walk away from NZ and have a local comp. It would gain more interest than Super Rugby and RA would have total control over it. Then it wouldn't matter as much if players went OS as it would only be a few and the Australian teams wouldn't be smashed by the NZ teams.

Tomthumb

Chilla Wilson (44)
A coach is only as good as his players. We are currently ranked 10th in the world for a reason. We simply don’t have the depth of talent that we had back in the 80’s and 90’s. Many reasons for this including the shrinking of the player pool of CHS rugby and poaching raids by NRL clubs on schoolboy talent.

The current players are the best we have. Bringing in one or two players from overseas will make little difference. All we can hope for from Schmidt and the team is that they make small improvements and gradually move up the world rankings. But the days of the Wallabies being ranked in the top 3 of the world are long gone. Sad but true.
Don't agree with this. If the only way a coach can be successful is to have great players, how do we know someone is actually a good coach?

The best coaches make teams better than the sum of their parts. Guys like Ian Foster & Pieter De Villiers have proven even bang average coaches can have success with great players

Derpus

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Super Rugby has been dying with protectionist policies in place just fine.

Yoda

Alex Ross (28)
I think the best thing we could do is walk away from NZ and have a local comp. It would gain more interest than Super Rugby and RA would have total control over it. Then it wouldn't matter as much if players went OS as it would only be a few and the Australian teams wouldn't be smashed by the NZ teams.
Agree. I’d also let players go overseas for the cash and experience. They would play more games depending on where they go and hopefully improve their skills. The Aussie Comp could have a few wild card high profile players to keep interest for the punters and then the Wallabies are picked from anywhere. Best financial and practical decision to boost rugby.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
Guys we've covered this in at least three dozen threads and more than 5k pages.

The problems have all been solved therein. Super Rugby, the Giteau Law, league defections, the lot. All fixed. It was a fun ride, we solved the problems and we're all better for the experience.

So really we don't need to go back to square one again here.

Yoda

Alex Ross (28)
Don't agree with this. If the only way a coach can be successful is to have great players, how do we know someone is actually a good coach?

The best coaches make teams better than the sum of their parts. Guys like Ian Foster & Pieter De Villiers have proven even bang average coaches can have success with great players
A great coach can definitely improve his weakest links and mould his squad to be a better side. However, winning sides generally have better cattle. That is a fact.