• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Wallabies 2024

stillmissit

Ken Catchpole (46)
There is always a choice. If people keep telling these players that it's ok to lose, how could we ever accept anything different out of them
TT From a theoretical perspective I agree, but we have worked through all the players and put pressure on them by bringing them up to compete and sometimes they were either too soon or they couldn't step up.
Failure is a mixture of many things and this demise has been happening for a long time. Getting rid of currently 'average' players when there is nobody behind who's better, is not the answer. The answer is better skills training, and better coaching at the school level, club level and Super Rugby; players coming up from Super Rugby need to be able to show they can play at international speed and execution and we don't have many of those.
Tizzano is an exception but in a position we are strong in.

stillmissit

Ken Catchpole (46)
Expecting Joe Schmidt to turn this team into world beaters is very likely unrealistic.
BH, until we address the skills teaching we are going nowhere, you can have all the guts and bluster you like but if the guys are poor in passing/catching and tackling. Then we are bound to lose. The best thing Schmidt can do is review our defence training and drill these guys hard until tackling becomes second nature to them and some of them actually enjoy it.

stillmissit

Ken Catchpole (46)
So, they'll win more games if we just tell them it's not ok to lose... and if we will them with our minds?
If you don't have a stick then carrots are wasted. We have tried dropping players almost continuously and the current players know there is mostly nobody better than them waiting in the wings.

The Ghost of Raelene

Simon Poidevin (60)
Why people think England is better than Scotland?

Schmidt has had enough time now to expect he can improve this team to the point that they can be ultra competitive against England & Scotland. Unless we are gonna do the same thing we did with Rennie and just constantly accept losing with a smile
We may play like ass against Scotland (more ass) but England tend to choke us out at the moment. At Twiks I see them just rattling up points every time they get inside the 40m. Might only score 1 try but they'll put at least 25 on the Wallabies. Can they score more than that? Hopeful but doubtful. They also gave a pretty showing v NZ in NZ during the year.

While Scotland are about as good as theyve been for a very long time I think the Wallabies will have a chance to score more points and play their own game. I don't see them being overpowered.

Strewthcobber

Simon Poidevin (60)
We may play like ass against Scotland (more ass) but England tend to choke us out at the moment. At Twiks I see them just rattling up points every time they get inside the 40m. Might only score 1 try but they'll put at least 25 on the Wallabies. Can they score more than that? Hopeful but doubtful. They also gave a pretty showing v NZ in NZ during the year.

While Scotland are about as good as theyve been for a very long time I think the Wallabies will have a chance to score more points and play their own game. I don't see them being overpowered.
It's pretty likely Scotland will have run into injury/depth issues after four tests in a row as well (acknowledging they should be able to rest some against Portugal). They don't have the depth to deal with that.

Derpus

Nathan Sharpe (72)

England are in a weird spot where they are clearly better than teams like ourselves, Wales or Italy but are not quite at the level of the top 4. I'd say England and Scotland are on a very similar level and both would be strong favourites to beat us as the home sides.

stillmissit

Ken Catchpole (46)
Of all the possible test matches I could watch, Australia v England at Twickenham is the one I least look forward to.

We will inevitably lose, not because England are good, but because they relentlessly target where we are not good
You could be right but they may just put us down as a win before the whistle goes and we may be up for a real battle. That would make it a very interesting game to watch. As an ex-pommie, I enjoy watching Aus beat them.

Tomthumb

Chilla Wilson (44)
So, they'll win more games if we just tell them it's not ok to lose... and if we will them with our minds?
No, but mindset and expectations (both inside and outside) do play a factor in a team building a better & winning culture

These guys are humans, they read the papers and watch tv like anyone else. To act like outside expectations don’t affect players is naive

The Ghost of Raelene

Simon Poidevin (60)
England are in a weird spot where they are clearly better than teams like ourselves, Wales or Italy but are not quite at the level of the top 4. I'd say England and Scotland are on a very similar level and both would be strong favourites to beat us as the home sides.
Favourites to knock us over for sure. Especially at home but I think mentally England still hold a bigger presence than Scotland do.

Fuck it Wallabies to go 2/2 on the Tour. They’ll beat Wales and I reckon jag another. They will then be pumped by a team like the Argentinian game and leave us all as confused as before.

stillmissit

Ken Catchpole (46)
No, but mindset and expectations (both inside and outside) do play a factor in a team building a better & winning culture

These guys are humans, they read the papers and watch tv like anyone else. To act like outside expectations don’t affect players is naive
TT, We should put competence 1st and then build confidence and self-belief naturally follows on that strong foundation. Skills, skills, skills, fitness and guts.

Jimmy_Crouch

Ken Catchpole (46)
Favourites to knock us over for sure. Especially at home but I think mentally England still hold a bigger presence than Scotland do.

Fuck it Wallabies to go 2/2 on the Tour. They’ll beat Wales and I reckon jag another. They will then be pumped by a team like the Argentinian game and leave us all as confused as before.
Hopefully the Scotland game that'll I'll be attending

Tomthumb

Chilla Wilson (44)
Give Schmidt a break. We lost games against Springboks, All Blacks & Argentina, all semi finalists in the world cup.
This is exactly what I'm talking about. He's a highly experienced coach making a lot of money working in elite sport, treating him like some poor child is being disrespectful to his coaching ability

KOB1987

John Eales (66)
I've said this before but I am sure Schmidt was appointed purely to try to build a team and game plan that is competitive against the Lions. I'd normally be largely on board with TomThumb's thinking, but these are not normal times. The start of his tenure was a line in the sand and we need to see progress from where we stood at that time. It's hard to guage where we are really at as we are 1-0 against a much lower ranked team, 3-1 against similarly ranked teams, and 0-4 against two of the best teams in the world. Overall we are 4-5 and if we come away from the NH tour 6-7 with a world ranking 6th/7th, and not get walloped by Ireland and/or England then I would put that down as progress, and that is what I am hoping for.