• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Wallabies 2024

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
Would have been fun to see the Joeys teams of the same years as Quade and Pocock. Teams had Beale, Betham, Paddy Ryan, McCutcheon
I don't think there will ever be anything like the Kurtley vs Quade debates from 06-11. Two young prodigies from rival states during the dawn of internet forums, while rugby still had real juice.

Looking back now they both had incredible careers but also never hit the heights that we hoped. I'll be sad when they retire.

Edit: I'm going to see if we have an old thread I can spark up. Surely we can get another 300 pages of KB (Kurtley Beale) vs QC (Quade Cooper) talk, purely for the sake of nostalgia.

hawko07

Allen Oxlade (6)
I don't think there will ever be anything like the Kurtley vs Quade debates from 06-11. Two young prodigies from rival states during the dawn of internet forums, while rugby still had real juice.

Looking back now they both had incredible careers but also never hit the heights that we hoped. I'll be sad when they retire.

Edit: I'm going to see if we have an old thread I can spark up. Surely we can get another 300 pages of KB (Kurtley Beale) (Kurtley Beale) vs QC (Quade Cooper) (Quade Cooper) talk, purely for the sake of nostalgia.
I remember seeing KB (Kurtley Beale) tearing up the ARC in 2007, he was untouchable.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Edit: I'm going to see if we have an old thread I can spark up. Surely we can get another 300 pages of KB (Kurtley Beale) (Kurtley Beale) vs QC (Quade Cooper) (Quade Cooper) talk, purely for the sake of nostalgia.

1728969975550.png

Pictured: barbarian

The Ghost of Raelene

Simon Poidevin (60)

Kurtley at 10 and Quade 12 for Aus schools that year is such a crazy concept to look back on.

That ARC add was a buzz

Dctarget

Tim Horan (67)
So what's a pass mark for the tour?

Depressingly (and realistically), I think it's beat Wales and close losses against Scotland & England and try not to get wiped out by Ireland. I'd be pleased if we also nabbed one of England or Scotland.

PhilClinton

Tony Shaw (54)
Wales in Wales will be more difficult than when we played them here. I also think our guys have lost a bit of their shine from those early games, that excitement of playing under a new coach is done. Schmidt would be putting them through their paces big time now.

I wouldn't be cashing my cheque for Wales just yet.

stillmissit

Ken Catchpole (46)
My realistic assessment.
England - 20% chance of winning
Wales - 49% chance of winning
Scotland - 30% chance of winning
Ireland - 10% chance of winning

1 from 4 is par. More than that is a big success. 0 from four is disappointing, but probably the most likely outcome
Agree, This is realistic but don't agree with o-4. I think we are looking for improvement in the other 3, to win 2 of 4 would be a solid success.

Tomthumb

Chilla Wilson (44)
Why people think England is better than Scotland?

Schmidt has had enough time now to expect he can improve this team to the point that they can be ultra competitive against England & Scotland. Unless we are gonna do the same thing we did with Rennie and just constantly accept losing with a smile

Strewthcobber

Simon Poidevin (60)
Why people think England is better than Scotland?

Schmidt has had enough time now to expect he can improve this team to the point that they can be ultra competitive against England & Scotland. Unless we are gonna do the same thing we did with Rennie and just constantly accept losing with a smile
Time to change coaches?

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Unless we are gonna do the same thing we did with Rennie and just constantly accept losing with a smile

Who says anyone is doing that? The view of fans also has zero impact on the actual result. If I get up at 3am on a Sunday morning expecting to watch us lose to England my pessimism doesn't increase our chances of losing.

Looking at the games we are realistically going to start as underdogs in potentially every game except Wales. We will need to produce at least one upset to end the tour with more than one win.

A substantial part of it is also accepting that we have hired capable coaches with significant experience. The coach isn't the one out on the field playing the game. Expecting Joe Schmidt to turn this team into world beaters is very likely unrealistic.

Tomthumb

Chilla Wilson (44)
Who says anyone is doing that? The view of fans also has zero impact on the actual result. If I get up at 3am on a Sunday morning expecting to watch us lose to England my pessimism doesn't increase our chances of losing.

Looking at the games we are realistically going to start as underdogs in potentially every game except Wales. We will need to produce at least one upset to end the tour with more than one win.
Totally disagree. Fan expectation has a huge subconscious impact on players
A substantial part of it is also accepting that we have hired capable coaches with significant experience. The coach isn't the one out on the field playing the game. Expecting Joe Schmidt to turn this team into world beaters is very likely unrealistic.
He took Ireland from 9th to 1st, so why should we instantly lower our expectations?