• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Wallabies 2024

Dctarget

Tim Horan (67)
NSFW
IMG_8404.jpeg

TSR

Andrew Slack (58)
TSR, do you watch him in Japan league? How is he going whilst not fully fit?
Sorry - I don’t. But there has been a fair amount of commentary around him and my interpretation of the comments I’ve read is that he has battles a few injuries and never got back to full fitness since his injuries playing 7s.

I think he was pretty average in the World Cup last year coming off the back of injury.

dru

David Wilson (68)
And the guys this year have been amazing?

Kerevi has more impact and ability in his left nut than Hamish Stewart has in his whole body yet people want to keep giving him a crack.

As I said earlier, it’s doubtful he returns to world class form but all he needs to be is better than our other options. Stop writing him off until it’s clear that isn’t the case. The guys in the squad currently aren’t the answer.

Yeah, nah. Kerevi may have more impact in his left nut than Stewart, but in terms of ability and skills those tables reverse. You don't select Stewart as a big bopper impact 12, and you don't select Kerevi as a second fly.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Yeah, nah. Kerevi may have more impact in his left nut than Stewart, but in terms of ability and skills those tables reverse. You don't select Stewart as a big bopper impact 12, and you don't select Kerevi as a second fly.

One of the reasons why Kerevi was so good in that 2021 season is that his passing and kicking game were also working well.

He was a lot more than just a crash ball 12.

dru

David Wilson (68)
One of the reasons why Kerevi was so good in that 2021 season is that his passing and kicking game were also working well.

He was a lot more than just a crash ball 12.

Yes he was working on it and paying dividends. I stand by the comparison with Stewart all the same.

PhilClinton

Tony Shaw (54)

If Stewart had an elite pass and kick game, he would have stuck it out as a flyhalf. I think people highlight his passing and kicking because it is bang on average and he doesn't really excel at anything, but he doesn't suck either.

The one area of his game I believe Stewart has always been above Kerevi is his defensive alignment and tackling technique.

Adam84

Rod McCall (65)
If Stewart had an elite pass and kick game, he would have stuck it out as a flyhalf. I think people highlight his passing and kicking because it is bang on average and he doesn't really excel at anything, but he doesn't suck either.

The one area of his game I believe Stewart has always been above Kerevi is his defensive alignment and tackling technique.
Agreed on his passing & kicking, complementing his defensive alignment is his work at the breakdown, he was one back who could actually secure a ruck to turnover. Still though, not a core competency that you really need out of a back when weighed up against the other attributes.

upthereds#!

Peter Johnson (47)
I don’t. I do have great memories of him playing amazing rugby over the years though. On his day, he was incredible. He was a Wallaby that I loved watching definitely.
To quote the great SBW "for me" having quade in the squad is not as important as kerevi as I believe kerevi is our no1 or no2 whereas I think quade isn't quite there, but tbh if I was to say who would be a better 10 in a test match tomorrow, I'd say quade, foley and JOC (James O'Connor) would all still be more usefull then lolesio, donaldson and lynagh. It's a shame, but for me, it's true. Just because they are the younger 10s available in Australian Super Rugby Teams, doesn't mean they can direct a test team better now.

Reactions: dru

Tomikin

David Codey (61)
To quote the great SBW "for me" having quade in the squad is not as important as kerevi as I believe kerevi is our no1 or no2 whereas I think quade isn't quite there, but tbh if I was to say who would be a better 10 in a test match tomorrow, I'd say quade, foley and JOC (James O'Connor) (James O'Connor) would all still be more usefull then lolesio, donaldson and lynagh. It's a shame, but for me, it's true. Just because they are the younger 10s available in Australian Super Rugby Teams, doesn't mean they can direct a test team better now.
well there you go SBW, has spoken, pick JOC (James O'Connor), Qaude and Foley and our 10's will be sorted.

Tomthumb

Chilla Wilson (44)
To quote the great SBW "for me" having quade in the squad is not as important as kerevi as I believe kerevi is our no1 or no2 whereas I think quade isn't quite there, but tbh if I was to say who would be a better 10 in a test match tomorrow, I'd say quade, foley and JOC (James O'Connor) (James O'Connor) would all still be more usefull then lolesio, donaldson and lynagh. It's a shame, but for me, it's true. Just because they are the younger 10s available in Australian Super Rugby Teams, doesn't mean they can direct a test team better now.
And they will never get any better as long as we think parachuting the geriatric brigade in every year will solve all our problems instead of maybe using our “world class” coach to actually coach them

Yoda

Alex Ross (28)
Agree to disagree. Cooper is nowhere near to his resurgent best pre archilles… Foley and JOC (James O'Connor) could very well play but I don’t think that is planning for the future. Noah and Donno are our best with Donno my preference as he has not hit his ceiling yet because he’s played 20 less starting 10 Tests than Noah. He’s been chopped and changed too much. Lynagh is on his Test L plates. Edmed is not a Test player imo but hey I’m not the coach.

Linerunner2023

Watty Friend (18)
If you were an opposition who would you rather play? Certainly rather come up against a midget Paisami or Stewart rather than an 108kg ball playing line bending Kerevi! Kerevi provides the 10 cover he can just load to the 12 like Quade did with Kerevi providing the 10 confidence - get you over the Gainline each run and will attract 2-3 defenders every run which then if he doesn’t break the line will open the backline up for the rest of the backline to actually play off and have less defenders to try and beat!
A half fit Kerevi is better then any other 12 we have
This age bullshit is a load of shit SA had 18 of their RWC squad over 30 and NZ had 12 or something players don’t just reach 30 and fall off a cliff! I can’t imagine Paisami being a 10 year 12 playing against the lions or RWC either so it play the best now to actually try and win test matches now

Tomthumb

Chilla Wilson (44)
If you were an opposition who would you rather play? Certainly rather come up against a midget Paisami or Stewart rather than an 108kg ball playing line bending Kerevi! Kerevi provides the 10 cover he can just load to the 12 like Quade did with Kerevi providing the 10 confidence - get you over the Gainline each run and will attract 2-3 defenders every run which then if he doesn’t break the line will open the backline up for the rest of the backline to actually play off and have less defenders to try and beat!
A half fit Kerevi is better then any other 12 we have
This age bullshit is a load of shit SA had 18 of their RWC squad over 30 and NZ had 12 or something players don’t just reach 30 and fall off a cliff! I can’t imagine Paisami being a 10 year 12 playing against the lions or RWC either so it play the best now to actually try and win test matches now
Is this satire?

upthereds#!

Peter Johnson (47)
And they will never get any better as long as we think parachuting the geriatric brigade in every year will solve all our problems instead of maybe using our “world class” coach to actually coach them
There are very few squads in the world who don't carry at least 1 expeirenced head in a group. Wallabies went with 3 average/inexperienced and it's showing.

Not saying about being the starting 10 - its about adding value to the squad. Learning, Mentor, Pressure etc. It's exactly what Schmidt said they did with sexton.