• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Wallabies 2024

TSR

Andrew Slack (58)
Kerevi also hasn’t been fully fit for some time.

Let’s get him back into shape and see how he goes. I suspect that fully fit he would still be right up there. He’s not too old to be a top line player for next year.

TSR

Andrew Slack (58)
Koro still Koro? Not in the last few Tests he played. Another example of ‘Bring in all the overseas players’ .. that will make a difference. It definitely didn’t. Past his best. Skelton and Rodda would be the only two I’d bring in to boost the pack. Kerevi was poor at the RWC. Not sure he will get back to his best. It would be great if he could though. I’d give Hamish Stewart more Tests at 12 personally with Donno at 10.
I agree with your sentiment on OS players, but I disagree on Rodda.

I have always been a big fan of his play but I don’t want two OS based locks in the squad.

I am also far from convinced Skelton is actually committed to the cause but prepared to trust the coaching teams insight on that.

stillmissit

Ken Catchpole (46)
Kerevi also hasn’t been fully fit for some time.

Let’s get him back into shape and see how he goes. I suspect that fully fit he would still be right up there. He’s not too old to be a top line player for next year.
TSR, do you watch him in Japan league? How is he going whilst not fully fit?

Yoda

Alex Ross (28)
I agree with your sentiment on OS players, but I disagree on Rodda.

I have always been a big fan of his play but I don’t want two OS based locks in the squad.

I am also far from convinced Skelton is actually committed to the cause but prepared to trust the coaching teams insight on that.
My take is that Skelton‘s commitments with his club hamper his availability…Rodda just adds more bulk to our pack?

PhilClinton

Tony Shaw (54)
Keep giving Stewart a crack? The man has played 2 tests, one of which we won

Take your own advice and stop writing the other guys off

Stewart hasn't shown us anything than being an above average defender who can kick and pass from 10 or 12.

Give me a break if you think Stewart holds a candle to what Kerevi has been able to produce for the Wallabies over the years.

Next question please.

The Ghost of Raelene

Simon Poidevin (60)
Ghost do you have any knowledge of how Amatasero is going? I assume he will be in Aus A.
Wasn't too impressed with his season at the Tahs but seemed to improve towards the end.
I don't.

I think the expectations placed on him by some were far too high for a guy who was a 21 year old Second Rower on arrival. Calling him Skelton 2.0 when it's the 30 year old Skelton form we use is unrealistic. We weren't remembering the raw and messy player that was 21 year old Will.

I think DC made the right call moving him to the bench mid season. He was off the pace but IMO the last 2-3 games of the year he was strong when he came on and caused real issues in tight for sides. Let him develop and lets see where he can get too and not go overseas and then we go "how the fuck did we let this guy go" when hes 26 and killing it for Toulon.

203cm, 125kg dudes don't grow on trees and in his favour is 40+ top level games already. Hopefully by the end of 2025 he's getting up near that 60 mark and feeling confident. Big part of it will be can the Tahs have senior players around him to let him develop and not be a focal part of the park while he is so young. I think we forget at times how hard it would be for young guys to be confident and assertive around older men. Sure your'e an adult but at 20, 21 you feel like a kid next to a 31 year old still.

upthereds#!

Peter Johnson (47)
There has been a raft of players who have excelled on when in combination with certain players. I mean how much better was Davies when he was a part of the backline steered by Genia and Quade. He had and knew his role, Digby was a balance, Taps was a more skillfull paisami and Fainga'a a defensive wall.

Davies in the wallabies with no quade - useless.
Jack Maddocks with Quade @ the Rebels - amazing. Jack Maddocks at Tahs - useless

I think Koroibete is great, but I don't think he is gelling with the core communicators in the team. Lack of clarity and communication is clearly an issue in the current squad - evident by the regular failings in defence, and I'm sure that same issue is harming Marikas involvements.

None of the 9s are the general Genia was, and none of the 10s are the puppet masters like Quade was.

My analogy:
Our investment portfolio is struggling to perform as the account managers are shit. The exec strategy is fine, the analysts are doing their job - but day to day decision makers aren't competent and are dropping the ball. We need some classic 80s wolves in there to sharpen them up, like Quade did with Gordon pre WC (Gordon praised his roommate Quade)

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
There has been a raft of players who have excelled on when in combination with certain players. I mean how much better was Davies when he was a part of the backline steered by Genia and Quade. He had and knew his role, Digby was a balance, Taps was a more skillfull paisami and Fainga'a a defensive wall.
and why so many Brumbies struggle when they leave the darkness

Ben Darwin's theory on cohesion answers some of the questions

Dctarget

Tim Horan (67)

Davies in the wallabies with no quade - useless.
Jack Maddocks with Quade @ the Rebels - amazing. Jack Maddocks at Tahs - useless

I think Koroibete is great, but I don't think he is gelling with the core communicators in the team. Lack of clarity and communication is clearly an issue in the current squad - evident by the regular failings in defence, and I'm sure that same issue is harming Marikas involvements.

None of the 9s are the general Genia was, and none of the 10s are the puppet masters like Quade was.

My analogy:
Our investment portfolio is struggling to perform as the account managers are shit. The exec strategy is fine, the analysts are doing their job - but day to day decision makers aren't competent and are dropping the ball. We need some classic 80s wolves in there to sharpen them up, like Quade did with Gordon pre WC (Gordon praised his roommate Quade)
All I got from that we miss Quade

Yoda

Alex Ross (28)
Stewart hasn't shown us anything than being an above average defender who can kick and pass from 10 or 12.

Give me a break if you think Stewart holds a candle to what Kerevi has been able to produce for the Wallabies over the years.

Next question please.
Phil… I don’t think anyone would argue that Kerevi was not great for the Wallabies at his peak. The facts are that his form after injury for a leading player at the RWC was pretty ordinary. He is now playing in a sub district comp in Japan and by his own admission wasn’t up to Test standard earlier this year. As for Hamish Stewart, as Tom Thumb has said he’s played only TWO Tests… one of which we won… Paisami isn’t outstandingly better. How many has he played? 31 actually. I mean Lolesio has played some 25 and is still average at best. I’d have given Donaldson and Stewart more starting Tests together to give them the same patience that Noah and Paisami have been shown. The Force showed some great backline play this year with a pack that wasn’t the best in the competition. Also, does Kerevi have the desire to be a great player again? If he did, I guess he would be busting his arse to get super fit and demanding to be picked for the Wallabies. He may well be doing this? Time will tell.

The Ghost of Raelene

Simon Poidevin (60)
Whilst Stewart is in the middle of his prime at 26 you can make the argument that we are waiting for the sudden improvement or showing from a guy who has never really dominated the level below Test Rugby to begin with.

He's a good steady player but benefiting from an era of no depth. Schmidt has thrown the net wide to start this year with the likes of Blyth getting a go but it will narrow.

Tomikin

David Codey (61)
Koro still Koro? Not in the last few Tests he played. Another example of ‘Bring in all the overseas players’ .. that will make a difference. It definitely didn’t. Past his best. Skelton and Rodda would be the only two I’d bring in to boost the pack. Kerevi was poor at the RWC. Not sure he will get back to his best. It would be great if he could though. I’d give Hamish Stewart more Tests at 12 personally with Donno at 10.
No, he clearly not. And if we keep picking him over younger better players, they will just head overseas and be lost to Aus rugby all together
Look, I'll just answer one of your accounts not both :p

Koro's been a Wallabies best before, so I'd probably hope to get him back to that, but not necessary need to.

Kerevi went into the world cup(test season) with No football at all from memory, and we had a shit team with a shit plan. I'd be hoping we could pull something out of him better than the 12s we have...

Yoda

Alex Ross (28)
Whilst Stewart is in the middle of his prime at 26 you can make the argument that we are waiting for the sudden improvement or showing from a guy who has never really dominated the level below Test Rugby to begin with.

He's a good steady player but benefiting from an era of no depth. Schmidt has thrown the net wide to start this year with the likes of Blyth getting a go but it will narrow.
As shown with Koroibete though…. Calls for overseas players by punters is just based on a dream. Facts are that most players overseas have had their moments representing their country and are content to pocket some cash at a much easier level. I‘m also assuming that most don’t have the hungry desire to play at Test level anymore?

PhilClinton

Tony Shaw (54)
As shown with Koroibete though…. Calls for overseas players by punters is just based on a dream. Facts are that most players overseas have had their moments representing their country and are content to pocket some cash at a much easier level. I‘m also assuming that most don’t have the hungry desire to play at Test level anymore?

This is just wrong.

Korobiete won the John Eales medal in 2022 - he had been playing in Japan that year.

Kerevi's best seasons for the Wallabies were a period of late 2020 - 2022 and he was playing in Japan that whole time.

The Ghost of Raelene

Simon Poidevin (60)
I think Koro should be moved on from now. Been a fabulous player for the Wallabies in the past but it's done.

It doe'snt have any effect on Stewart though and his ability which is what I'm talking about and I know it's because of Kerevi being overseas based but as we are a middle of pack Test side we will have take some swings and dreams. I think the form tends to be more a product of the competition than desire though.

LeCheese

John Thornett (49)
Wasn't talking about you Tomikin. I have a fair idea about your ideas.
I'm fairly certain the only recent mention of Quade I've seen is your post referencing Nic Bishop (who I personally haven't personally seen mention Quade in a fair while, but I might've missed it).

Who else is calling for Quade, particularly on here?