• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Wallabies 2024

Tomthumb

Chilla Wilson (44)
Stewart hasn't shown us anything than being an above average defender who can kick and pass from 10 or 12.

Give me a break if you think Stewart holds a candle to what Kerevi has been able to produce for the Wallabies over the years.

Next question please.
It’s irrelevant what Kerevi has produced in the past. We are talking about the 2024 Wallabies, not the 2021 wallabies

If he magically returns to his best that’s great, but odds are he’s going to look like Koroibete has this year and we would have wasted tests on a guy that ain’t making it to the Lions

Yoda

Alex Ross (28)
It’s irrelevant what Kerevi has produced in the past. We are talking about the 2024 Wallabies, not the 2021 wallabies

If he magically returns to his best that’s great, but odds are he’s going to look like Koroibete has this year and we would have wasted tests on a guy that ain’t making it to the Lions
“It’s irrelevant what Kerevi has produced in the past. We are talking about the 2024 Wallabies, not the 2021 wallabies”….

EXACTLY.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Koroibete is 32. There's a chance he's just going through a form slump but there's an ever increasing likelihood that he has passed his peak and is now on a downward trajectory and he's just going the gradually (then rapidly) get worse from here. He has been so good for so long that he deserves the benefit of the doubt to be in a couple of future squads to see where his play is at.

Kerevi is 31 so not far behind age-wise. His game being less based on outright pace probably gives him more longevity but it absolutely comes down to how much of an appetite he has to work his way back to test fitness and form.

There's a gulf between what is required for him to be a functional player in Japan for a few more seasons and what is required to be a good test player. This should be something that can be monitored from afar though. The Wallabies will know various benchmarks he needs to be at to make him selectable and likewise, I don't think Kerevi will be keen if he's off the pace.

Yoda

Alex Ross (28)
And these conversations won't stop when the current crop of players are in a team ranked 10th in the world.

They don't deserve to not have their jobs questioned and other players floated.
I understand your point and agree discussion will always revolve around Test selections when we aren’t winning. My answer to that though is that all the overseas players were apart of a side/sides that never won a Bledisloe Cup either. As good as they were, they weren’t good enough. We have to back youth. Joe may well pick a couple of overseas guys in the forwards… but I dare say it won’t be many. On questioning jobs too, Joe’s role is to mould a team and squad that is tight, understands the game plan and can execute it and aim to improve each and every member’s rugby skills to make them the best player that they can be. It’s early days yet but we will get better.

upthereds#!

Peter Johnson (47)
I'm fairly certain the only recent mention of Quade I've seen is your post referencing Nic Bishop (who I personally haven't personally seen mention Quade in a fair while, but I might've missed it).

Who else is calling for Quade, particularly on here?
Me.

upthereds#!

Peter Johnson (47)
Koroibete is 32. There's a chance he's just going through a form slump but there's an ever increasing likelihood that he has passed his peak and is now on a downward trajectory and he's just going the gradually (then rapidly) get worse from here. He has been so good for so long that he deserves the benefit of the doubt to be in a couple of future squads to see where his play is at.

Kerevi is 31 so not far behind age-wise. His game being less based on outright pace probably gives him more longevity but it absolutely comes down to how much of an appetite he has to work his way back to test fitness and form.

There's a gulf between what is required for him to be a functional player in Japan for a few more seasons and what is required to be a good test player. This should be something that can be monitored from afar though. The Wallabies will know various benchmarks he needs to be at to make him selectable and likewise, I don't think Kerevi will be keen if he's off the pace.
Johnny Sexton was the best 10 at the WC and he was 37. In fact, IMO most the top performers were over 30.

Tell the Springboks to stop doing well with so many old and japanese based players.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Johnny Sexton was the best 10 at the WC and he was 37. In fact, IMO most the top performers were over 30.

Tell the Springboks to stop doing well with so many old and japanese based players.

Sure, but 10 is a pretty different position to wing and Sexton's game has never revolved around his athleticism.

As I said, I'm not ready to discard either Koroibete or Kerevi but their age definitely forms part of the consideration. At some point it won't just be a temporary form slump and will be permanent.

As they say, Father Time is undefeated.

Yoda

Alex Ross (28)

Was Sexton the best 10 at the World Cup though? He definitely defied his age. I agree with you that a lot of the top performers were over 30. The Springboks just have better players than us.

Sword of Justice

Nev Cottrell (35)
And is there any chance of something like this having happened re his listed age:
1728865622764.png

Ignoto

Greg Davis (50)
Odd that we're focussing on the speed of one of our centres when traditionally, the "crash it" centre we've had has never been all that fast; Mortlock's speed dramatically dropped off, same with AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper), Tevita, McCabe and A Finger. Hell even Digby towards the end slowed up.

BUT, speed when those players were in the centres were never really their strong points.

Given the lack of options we have in the centres, I would say if Kerevi is able to get across the advantage line and suck two defenders in, we will be better off than if he was "as quick as he was 3 years ago".

Tomthumb

Chilla Wilson (44)

The Springboks had a 22 year old at 10 for both Wallaby tests

upthereds#!

Peter Johnson (47)
The Springboks had a 22 year old at 10 for both Wallaby tests
Yes but they still have a 30 yr old one in the squad.

The wider squad matters and thats where the experience supports most I think. Not just who wears the 10, but what environment is around that 10.