• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Wallabies 2024

eastman

John Solomon (38)
I don't understand how one of our centres is up for grabs and the other is rusted on as far as those here are concerned. From what I've watched they have both been average and they should be looking over their shoulders at the next guys coming through.
Granted Paisami should be looking harder.
Ikitau doesn’t make 4 mistakes a game, and is occasionally threatening with the ball.

There’s a clear difference.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Nic Bishop quite scathing of Harry Wilson over at Rugbypass:

Flip the coin over, and doubts remain over his ability as the primary first-wave carrier and his positioning in defence. Wilson does not puncture the line often enough and his hands can be suspect. On defence he is an excellent hitter but not a great mover.

It's probably reaching that point where Schmidt will want to settle on a full time captain.

McReight is probably the best option, and I'd rather not see Valetini coming off with 20mins to go.

stillmissit

Ken Catchpole (46)

It's probably reaching that point where Schmidt will want to settle on a full time captain.

McReight is probably the best option, and I'd rather not see Valetini coming off with 20mins to go.
We need to focus on our 80min players and Bobby V is one of those along with Ikitau. I hope Bell also becomes one.
Agree with bolded.

drewprint

Alan Cameron (40)

It’s a fair analysis. Some clearly poor defensive choices made. I really like Wilson but I’ve generally been keen on having Hooper at #6 instead. But Williams pushed out to #6 if Skelton is brought in makes sense too.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
I think Kellaway might be better as a fullback than as a winger.
However, I don't think he is better than Wright in either position, currently. Different question, maybe, if he was in the form he showed a couple of years ago in Tests, but he has been well down on that form lately.

eastman

John Solomon (38)
There was some chat here about JS playing 12. But if I look at Ikitau’s attributes compared to the chosen one; he seems more like an inside centre to me.

He has a short passing game, a good left foot boot and is relatively robust in traffic. If anyone watched JS in his union days, he wasn’t exactly running strong lines and getting over the advantage line.

eastman

John Solomon (38)

None of our back row are athletic enough to be world class to be honest, and Wilson is the least athletic of the bunch.

Sititi showed more in one game then Wilson has in five seasons.

Derpus

Nathan Sharpe (72)

Wilson is definitely good for at least one knock on per game.

Dctarget

Tim Horan (67)

That's really grim reading. I really like Harry but the four dropped carries and the defensive misreads, even before you get to his lack of post contact metres, is undefendable.

Derpus

Nathan Sharpe (72)
There was some chat here about JS playing 12. But if I look at Ikitau’s attributes compared to the chosen one; he seems more like an inside centre to me.

He has a short passing game, a good left foot boot and is relatively robust in traffic. If anyone watched JS in his union days, he wasn’t exactly running strong lines and getting over the advantage line.
JS would be defending and running a crash ball from 12. If we were setting up to distribute wider you'd expect Wright to step in.

I doubt we'll see JS at 12 though.

Backintheolddays

Billy Sheehan (19)
I sympathise with the coaches, who do they build a team around. I’m quick to criticise but the reality is the talent bubbling up to put pressure on isn’t there.
None of our starters in any position would get a look in at a top tier nation. Not one. That is a damning indictment on the state of the game.
Joe has two options, go all out attack or build the foundations and focus on no mistake footy. Think he has gone the latter but the cattle are not executing.
Wright for all his attacking talent ( and is exciting to watch) continues to make poor decisions and gets in the way with tight carries which helps his stats but puts the team on the back foot.
Similarly Wilson has awesome ticker but frankly is not test standard, regardless of the stats. I question the effectiveness of his carries and tackles despite the high volume. He isn’t worrying opponents.
Joe has a tough gig and I do not see the decision making at the top of the tree improving anything for the next generation.
I despise private equity but see as the only long term solution to get the numbers back into grass roots.

Tomthumb

Desmond Connor (43)
Really? I think he needs the extra space at 13 to get to the defender's vulnerable shoulder. Don't think he's got the acceleration or power for 12 (or even the distribution).
Ikitau has great distribution skills, a big boot and the ability to have quick feet in close quarter scenarios

I think we worry too much about 12's being battering rams. The role is really getting over the advantage line, and Ikitau can do that with the best of them

stillmissit

Ken Catchpole (46)
I sympathise with the coaches, who do they build a team around. I’m quick to criticise but the reality is the talent bubbling up to put pressure on isn’t there.
None of our starters in any position would get a look in at a top tier nation. Not one. That is a damning indictment on the state of the game.
Joe has two options, go all out attack or build the foundations and focus on no mistake footy. Think he has gone the latter but the cattle are not executing.
Wright for all his attacking talent ( and is exciting to watch) continues to make poor decisions and gets in the way with tight carries which helps his stats but puts the team on the back foot.
Similarly Wilson has awesome ticker but frankly is not test standard, regardless of the stats. I question the effectiveness of his carries and tackles despite the high volume. He isn’t worrying opponents.
Joe has a tough gig and I do not see the decision making at the top of the tree improving anything for the next generation.
I despise private equity but see as the only long term solution to get the numbers back into grass roots.
Agree with all of this apart from PE.