• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Wallabies 2024

Tomthumb

Desmond Connor (43)
It’s not size; it’s the fact that he’s not athletic enough to be a world class centre. He will constantly be playing people with equal football smarts, but they will all be faster, stronger and probably bigger.
As opposed to the famously athletic Conrad Smith

eastman

John Solomon (38)
This seems to me to be drivel. When Ikitau is "on" he is very good. His "off" is much less than 12 or 13 others wearing gold on the field.

Look, maybe. Heaps of presumptions with this and we all forget that none of really know what is happening in the D. I'm not dissing Paisami either, just suggesting that 12 in an obvious slot for an unknown talent to potentially look for opportunity..
To be clear im talking about Flook so calm your farm. - I rate Ikitau (although he hasn’t regained his 2022 form).

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
It’s not size; it’s the fact that he’s not athletic enough to be a world class centre. He will constantly be playing people with equal football smarts, but they will all be faster, stronger and probably bigger.
Most of our backs (and forwards) just look under developed, we don't have to go full "BoK"; but they could all do with big off seasons of building muscle while cutting some body fat

You can't get taller, but you can get stronger and more resilient

The Ghost of Raelene

Simon Poidevin (60)
Clear as day when you see them against opposition. Our players look that bit softer, less fit to the eye. I know everyone is different but it's seems across the entire team like that for years now that even our Super Rugby sides don't have the same look as their opposition.

Derpus

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Most of our backs (and forwards) just look under developed, we don't have to go full "BoK"; but they could all do with big off seasons of building muscle while cutting some body fat

You can't get taller, but you can get stronger and more resilient
Fuck it. Lets go full Bok. Lets stretch the limits of physical possibility with as many PEDs as we can.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Because our players aren't trained hard enough. Every time they go overseas and get into proper professional environments they vastly improve

Is it that the team training is harder or that the expectations and peer pressure to meet certain expectations are higher?

Players obviously get smashed in preseasons but in season it's not like you have time to do huge amounts of pure fitness. Players drinking and/or eating stuff they shouldn't is largely down to them. Ultimately I think they have to fix that themselves through discipline. It's not like we're in a position to not select any players with skin folds above a certain number etc. It's basically the whole squad.

It's pretty clear when you watch the Wallabies that we have a team filled with some pretty sloppy rigs compared to our opponents.

hammertimethere

Trevor Allan (34)
I actually quite like the idea over next 12-24 months of

11. Daugunu
12. Paisami (but god it wound be good if someone came through to knock him off)
13. Ikitau
14. JS
15. Wright (or Kellaway, or Jorgensen if he gets good enough to knock them both off)

Ignoto

Greg Davis (50)
Players obviously get smashed in preseasons but in season it's not like you have time to do huge amounts of pure fitness. Players drinking and/or eating stuff they shouldn't is largely down to them. Ultimately I think they have to fix that themselves through discipline.
So, I know first hand from the Sports Nutritionist who was brought in by Brad Thorn for the Reds, that the Reds did little to help with this aspect prior to Brad coming in.

Players had no idea how to properly fuel themselves before, during and after training. They had no idea how much protein/carb they needed and how to make good, smart food choices. Simply telling a 18/22 year old "make sure you eat and drink" is useless when they have had no education on what is actually required of them.

Hell, the Reds didn't have Gels and other in-game supplements until Brad brought them in.

The Reds did not have food on hand before/after training sessions and if they did it was never enough resulting in players having to leave to go to Subway/Nandos.

Wallaby Man

Nev Cottrell (35)
I think a lot of our issue is just from lack of matches. Our juniors don’t play enough and our pros don’t play enough. I’d go as far as saying some Europeans have played twice as many games of rugby in their life by 25 than most Aussie pros. They are just wiser and understand how to be clever and manipulative the momentum of a game when it’s not going their way through game smarts. They know the tricks of the trade to get advantage's in games. Because rugby is a game that’s so influenced by the referees interpretations, you can be behind in the game before it even kicks off because of perception, the European teams are just smarter.

Strewthcobber

Simon Poidevin (60)
I think a lot of our issue is just from lack of matches. Our juniors don’t play enough and our pros don’t play enough. I’d go as far as saying some Europeans have played twice as many games of rugby in their life by 25 than most Aussie pros. They are just wiser and understand how to be clever and manipulative the momentum of a game when it’s not going their way through game smarts. They know the tricks of the trade to get advantage's in games. Because rugby is a game that’s so influenced by the referees interpretations, you can be behind in the game before it even kicks off because of perception, the European teams are just smarter.
This is true for some very rare exceptions, mostly English, but definately not universal

Jack Crowley has 74 and Noah Lolesio has 99 senior pro games. Both 24

stillmissit

Ken Catchpole (46)
Clear as day when you see them against opposition. Our players look that bit softer, less fit to the eye. I know everyone is different but it's seems across the entire team like that for years now that even our Super Rugby sides don't have the same look as their opposition.
Ghost, Does this mean you are in my camp of they just ain't fit enough?

Derpus

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Is it that the team training is harder or that the expectations and peer pressure to meet certain expectations are higher?

Players obviously get smashed in preseasons but in season it's not like you have time to do huge amounts of pure fitness. Players drinking and/or eating stuff they shouldn't is largely down to them. Ultimately I think they have to fix that themselves through discipline. It's not like we're in a position to not select any players with skin folds above a certain number etc. It's basically the whole squad.

It's pretty clear when you watch the Wallabies that we have a team filled with some pretty sloppy rigs compared to our opponents.
love a sloppy rig

molman

Jim Lenehan (48)
This is true for some very rare exceptions, mostly English, but definately not universal

Jack Crowley has 74 and Noah Lolesio has 99 senior pro games. Both 24
To be fair Crowley was stuck behind Sexton where as Lolesio hit the period of a bit of a Flyhalf void in Australia. If anything he was probably brought in too soon with us having no real plan post Foley and the cameos from Cooper.

Tomthumb

Desmond Connor (43)

It’s probably a bit of both. Either way it shows we do have the players but for whatever reason be it training methods or our acceptance of losing here we can’t maximise many of them