• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Wallabies 2024

The Ghost of Raelene

Simon Poidevin (60)
Ghost, Does this mean you are in my camp of they just ain't fit enough?
Think it's part of it. I also think we carry players who aren't at the standard required to be an elite Test player so I probably shouldn't expect them to be or look like something they aren't.

I think a lack of top end S&C was a big part of many of the injuries in previous seasons. Machinery not up to a task tends to breakdown when stress is applied or pushing it too long. Hard to blame the Wallabies and RA for this when the majority of time and S&C is done at a Super Rugby level but hopefully with the new structures there is a bit more alignment between Club and Nation with a better plan.

Apologies for using so many bs terms like structures and alignment together

Tomthumb

Desmond Connor (43)
Think it's part of it. I also think we carry players who aren't at the standard required to be an elite Test player so I probably shouldn't expect them to be or look like something they aren't.

I think a lack of top end S&C was a big part of many of the injuries in previous seasons. Machinery not up to a task tends to breakdown when stress is applied or pushing it too long. Hard to blame the Wallabies and RA for this when the majority of time and S&C is done at a Super Rugby level but hopefully with the new structures there is a bit more alignment between Club and Nation with a better plan.

Hopefully they took the learnings

• Haha
Reactions: TSR

stillmissit

Ken Catchpole (46)

Good post Ghost (poetic) I think you have stated clearly what I only alluded to.

stillmissit

Ken Catchpole (46)
Regarding my issue with the BD, I got a reply from Nick Bishop on RP to a post of mine. He stated that Schmidt is the best attacking BD coach in the world and at the moment there are just not enough Wallabies who can pilfer effectively compared to most of the top teams.
He thought that we were improving in that area. I struggle to see it apart from the start of the last AB game but accept his analysis.

The Ghost of Raelene

Simon Poidevin (60)
So, I know first hand from the Sports Nutritionist who was brought in by Brad Thorn for the Reds, that the Reds did little to help with this aspect prior to Brad coming in.

Players had no idea how to properly fuel themselves before, during and after training. They had no idea how much protein/carb they needed and how to make good, smart food choices. Simply telling a 18/22 year old "make sure you eat and drink" is useless when they have had no education on what is actually required of them.

Hell, the Reds didn't have Gels and other in-game supplements until Brad brought them in.

The Reds did not have food on hand before/after training sessions and if they did it was never enough resulting in players having to leave to go to Subway/Nandos.
Nor should they really.

Would be great if they knew their required macros on their own but when they are in pro systems this should be taken care for them. It takes a Pocock level of obsession (disorder) and I know he talks about his struggles to do it yourself to such an elite level. This is an area all teams should invest in professionals and have it ready and sorted for the players. Hell you can have a sports physiology intern do it.

Once you give them what they need, coaches need to have hard expectations on them. The ones with some discipline and drive will thrive and the others will ether fall in line eventually or fall away.

Ignoto

Greg Davis (50)
Would be great if they knew their required macros on their own but when they are in pro systems this should be taken care for them
Yes and no. Unless the players are coming in for breakfast lunch and dinner, there's only so much control you can and should have over a players choice of diet.

On one extreme, we have professional cyclists that are able to measure and monitor to a gram their intake. Most cyclists are only in touch with their teams for short periods during racing. Outside of that, an individual is taught how and what they should be eating.

Education is a big part of sport and we've seen even at schoolboy level it happening.

stillmissit

Ken Catchpole (46)
Yes and no. Unless the players are coming in for breakfast lunch and dinner, there's only so much control you can and should have over a players choice of diet.

On one extreme, we have professional cyclists that are able to measure and monitor to a gram their intake. Most cyclists are only in touch with their teams for short periods during racing. Outside of that, an individual is taught how and what they should be eating.

Education is a big part of sport and we've seen even at schoolboy level it happening.
Whatever Info they are giving Tupoa he ain't taking a 'learning' --- shit word.

Joe Blow

John Hipwell (52)
Ikitau posted most tackle busts of any Wallaby this season. He's much more elusive at least.
I really would like to see him get a run at 12 at some point. He has great skills, good defence and very long left boot. That would open up 13 for Sua'ali'i(if he is up to it) and give our backline some real juice.

stillmissit

Ken Catchpole (46)
I really would like to see him get a run at 12 at some point. He has great skills, good defence and very long left boot. That would open up 13 for Sua'ali'i(if he is up to it) and give our backline some real juice.
Can someone here give me a clear statement on the difference between 12 and 13 roles? I know 13 is a hard defensive position and has a job of creating opportunities for the wings but apart from that I have no clear ideas.

Dctarget

Tim Horan (67)
1727922538294.png

Proud Pig

Tom Lawton (22)

I would be careful using cyclists as the prime example for what sport's people put in their bodies.

I think the above image showing Len beating 17 players pretty much highlights the Wallabies current issues.
We don't have major issues when we are attacking.
Yes, our forwards could bend the line a bit more and we are occasionally a bit sloppy ball in hand but our attack is OK.
Our defense is appalling, and it is not the individual one on one defense it the structure we have in place and application of the defensive gameplan.
You cannot run a passive defense unless you have complete confidence that you are not going to miss any tackles or make misreads.
An aggressive in your face rush defense is far more forgiving on the defensive errors as you often have the opposition attack on the backfoot so it is harder to pounce on mistakes.
We actually seem to be running a hybrid defense where the FB and wings are given license to rush out of line but everyone else holds a passive position.
Maybe I am missing something but I just cannot see how this can work.

Last edited:

TSR

Andrew Slack (58)
The idea of moving Ikitau to 12 reminds me of when Connolly shifted Larkham to 12 for a few tests…

I don’t think it ever works to fix one position by weakening two.
But I’m sure you can agree that Ikitau is likely to be capable of playing 12 so it is likely it wouldn’t be weakening two. Sometimes a player who is good in one position can be even better in another - Larkham being the perfect example. And there are plenty of guys like Roff, Mortlock, AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper), Little, Nonu, Umaga etc who have proven a guy can be test level in more than 1 spot.

I get your hesitation - but if we shift Ikitau to 12 and our centre pairing still struggled I’m prepared to guess it won’t be because Ikitau is the issue.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
But I’m sure you can agree that Ikitau is likely to be capable of playing 12 so it is likely it wouldn’t be weakening two. Sometimes a player who is good in one position can be even better in another - Larkham being the perfect example. And there are plenty of guys like Roff, Mortlock, AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) (Adam Ashley-Cooper), Little, Nonu, Umaga etc who have proven a guy can be test level in more than 1 spot.

I get your hesitation - but if we shift Ikitau to 12 and our centre pairing still struggled I’m prepared to guess it won’t be because Ikitau is the issue.

I think he’s capable of playing there in an emergency, but doesn’t really have the required skill set to make it his primary position.

Wilson

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Yeah, I don't really get the ikitau to 12 movement. He's a great 13 and there's not much in his game to suggest he'd be better suited 12 - he's not a massive crash baller or a secondary playmaker for example. I'm sure he could do a job there if required, but I'd rather a great 13 (which are generally harder to come by) than a solid 12.

There may be some merit to him getting a bit of time there so he's more capable of filling the position in a pinch (modern era cards/hia's make backline versatility much more important) but I can't see any sort of permanent move being good for the wallabies or ikitau in the long run.

Tomthumb

Desmond Connor (43)
I would be careful using cyclists as the prime example for what sport's people put in their bodies.

I think the above image showing Len beating 17 players pretty much highlights the Wallabies current issues.
We don't have major issues when we are attacking.
Yes, our forwards could bend the line a bit more and we are occasionally a bit sloppy ball in hand but our attack is OK.
Our defense is appalling, and it is not the individual one on one defense it the structure we have in place and application of the defensive gameplan.
You cannot run a passive defense unless you have complete confidence that you are not going to miss any tackles or make misreads.
An aggressive in your face rush defense is far more forgiving on the defensive errors as you often have the opposition attack on the backfoot so it is harder to pounce on mistakes.
We actually seem to be running a hybrid defense where the FB and wings are given license to rush out of line but everyone else holds a passive position.
Maybe I am missing something but I just cannot see how this can work.
It can’t. As long as ol’ bucket hat is there demanding this rubbish we are cooked.

I think Schmidt may have bought a lemon as his defence coach. We can only hope he can figure it out before it’s too late