• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Wallabies 2024

The Ghost of Raelene

Simon Poidevin (60)
12 is completely open for someone to grab.

I think JS has the ability to slot into at least a Aus A game and see but I think the smart thing to do would be to put him on the Wing and let him get the lay of the land. He's done it before but let him be. Build a few plays for him to be the focus and target him on a few cross field kicks.

If Edmed keeps up his play it wouldn't surprise me to see him get a ticket. He's got match fitness and some level of form. It is a big difference to guys that have been running broncos.

I'd say the pack is probably locked in. Any outsiders like Porecki should be left to do pre-season. Hasn't played a game in over a year due to an achillies and hes in his 30s....

“It was special,” said former All Black Sonny Bill Williams. “As a player in these moments, you’re up by 20 points, Bledisloe is locked up, this is where your DNA and your core beliefs are driven to focus. Moments like these, can you hold them down? Can you step up?”

Former Wallabies lock Justin Harrison summed up the All Blacks’ edge.

“When this All Blacks team opens their shoulder blades, the simplicity and brutality and precision is on display. Every single player seems to know what to do and when to do it.”

The Wallabies at present don't have the same DNA as the All Blacks, beacuase they don't know innately "what to do and when to do it".
The pot is well and truly being stirred when you use SBW and Goog for quotes.... FMD Get the hatrick and give us a Horan in match observation.

rugbyAU

Dick Tooth (41)
With 64 players being called (2 squads of 32 probably) but more like 36 and 28 sorta thing - I expect (and hope) they use it as a chance to get NH based aussies involved to at least touch base with them.

However I will act as if its purely Aus based

Hk: BPA, Porecki, Faessler, Nasser, Lonergan, Pollard
Pr: Slipper, Bell, Kailea, Thor, Ala'alatoa, Nonggoor Robertson, Hodgman, Gibbon, HJH (Harry Johnson-Holmes) (Harry Johnson-Holmes), Amone
Lk: Frost, LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto), Williams, Blyth, Canham, Swain, Amatosero, Neville
Br: Mcreight, Wright, Wilson, Leota, Valetini, Tizzano, Gleeson, Cale, Uru, Hooper
Hb: Gordon, White, Mcdermott, Lonergan, Fines
FH: Edmed, Donaldson, Lolesio, Lynagh, Debrazcini, Stewart
C: Paisami, Feliuali, Ikitau, Sua'ali'i, Foketi, Flook, Sapsford, Walton
OB; Daugunu, Kellaway, Jorgensen, Wright, Pietsch, Toole, Lancaster, Potter, Campbell, Vunivalu
I don't think Porecki will be there

The Ghost of Raelene

Simon Poidevin (60)
If he comes back for the Tahs and is playing well I think he's a good chance to feature for the Wallabies next year but it's just too long with zero game time.

We also don't know what Schmidt thinks of him either. Is Lonergan injured because he hasn't been involved in anything which tells you something. I tend to think he's too small when even the likes of Faessler, porecki aren't monsters but have 5-10kg on him.

Rugby Survivor

Ted Fahey (11)
Sua'ali'i is the best athlete and I would also say, back that the Wallabies now have. He has been playing in the toughest competition week in week out in the world. The guy knows how to play football and definitely knows how to tackle. The Wallabies need something to excite them and more importantly they need a reason for people to watch them. Get him in the squad and in the 23 for the first test against England. He needs to learn how Joe Schmidt wants to play. He can learn the defence structure very quickly and also kick goals. He needs to be picked.

The Ghost of Raelene

Simon Poidevin (60)
It's pretty crazy how hard he will be talked down by a lot of people but I can't wait to see how a 6'5, 100kg 21 year old develops in a Rugby backline. He's the same age as Tom Lynagh who we are all very cognisant needs time to develop but we get a 21 year old JS with 73 games of League behind him already.

I think some of these young kids like JS, Jorgo, Ryan, Toole will move the likes of Kellaway, Stewart out of squads long term. Exciting athletes are what we need to make an impact on games. The text book looking players aren't/don't get it done in the big ones.

griffins

Billy Sheehan (19)
If he comes back for the Tahs and is playing well I think he's a good chance to feature for the Wallabies next year but it's just too long with zero game time.

We also don't know what Schmidt thinks of him either. Is Lonergan injured because he hasn't been involved in anything which tells you something. I tend to think he's too small when even the likes of Faessler, porecki aren't monsters but have 5-10kg on him.
Lonergan had his leg snapped in half in super rugby, would only have been due to come back around now. Hopefully he has been eating.

Rugby Head

Billy Sheehan (19)
Sua'ali'i is the best athlete and I would also say, back that the Wallabies now have. He has been playing in the toughest competition week in week out in the world. The guy knows how to play football and definitely knows how to tackle. The Wallabies need something to excite them and more importantly they need a reason for people to watch them. Get him in the squad and in the 23 for the first test against England. He needs to learn how Joe Schmidt wants to play. He can learn the defence structure very quickly and also kick goals. He needs to be picked.
His physically was a real strong point with the Roosters. He runs hard and hits with intent. I don't see there being any reason why he shouldn't be selected for the Wallabies for the end of season tour, can't see him doing any worse than our current wingers. Long term think he would be the ideal 13 or 15, need to keep him involved.

Wilson

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Heard he had surgery

He did, but he's expected to be back at full training in 2-3 weeks.

Time enough to make it for the Australia A squad, though I can also see them leaving him with the Reds knowing there is plenty of game time available there and calling him up later if need be.

Adam84

Rod McCall (65)
yeahh.... its a big loss... he is a big-bodied outside back with the ability to get over the gain line, we don't have much of that in Australian rugby

Brumby Runner

Jason Little (69)
I would say that Rhys van Nek will be in with a shot of making the A side. The backrow looks full but Luke Reimer has been in the squad this year. He will also be a possibility for the A side.

The real left field selection I'd like to see is Declan Meredith to cover 10/15. He has yet to get good time at Super Rugby level, but I reckon he has the skills to take the Brumbies No 10 spot next year or the next. Could do a lot worse than BOD on the wing at the A level too. In place of Vunivalu would be my suggestion.

LeCheese

John Thornett (49)
Isaac Henry

Not necessarily big and powerful. More Tim Horan like with speed and a crazy step. Put Sua'ali'i outside him at 13. Maybe trial this with Australia A?
Unavailable after he blew his patella tendon during Super season - won’t be fit until next year realistically.

eastman

John Solomon (38)
Pretty shit really. Best of luck to the kid though.

This is the kind of thing that will keep us 10 in the world though. He may not be irreplaceable individually but he is the age profile and talent level that is incredibly important for depth.
Arguably he is irreplaceable- Australia doesn’t have many players with that athletic profile- big, quick and relatively skillful.

He can play every outside back position and to quite a high standard; that’s extremely valuable in a 23.