• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Wallabies 2024

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Surely we would need to know what was coached to happen, I doubt, well hope, that the coached D doesn't start with everyone prioritising random gaps. Well no, ofc everyone aught prioritise those gaps as they appear. it's more about why they appear. It was flabbergasting.

I don't think we really do. You can analyze the play and work out the various points where something went wrong without knowing what they were coached to do.

It's pretty safe to assume that no one is told to make a complete misread in defence, commit to no one and leave a hole where you were.

Strewthcobber

Simon Poidevin (60)
Anyone able to translate what Tate's trying to say here?

McDermott added they needed to ensure they didn’t lose their connection in defence to ensure they shut down the All Blacks’ attacking threats.

“I’d say everyone’s clear (on the defensive system), but the separation we’re getting at the moment is people are maybe seeing different pictures and that comes from speed of set,” he said.

“At the moment, we’re giving them a little bit too much space, but everyone’s clear on the plan and we actioned that in the back end of the game in the last 40 minutes.”

Last edited:

TSR

Andrew Slack (58)
I think he was saying they weren’t set up in defence early enough - which I assume leads to break downs in communication. A lot of that would have been forced, (again I assume) because they were not slowing down the play at all and also because the ABs were often reacting much quicker in transition.

Or defence is definitely a worry - but when Fisher’s mantra is all about connection and making dominant hits and a consistent theme has been players becoming disconnected I am not sure it is the actual theory of the system that is the problem.

I do find it odd though that some of the Brumbies players seem to be having particular issues getting it right - Valetini, Ikitau & Frost in particular seem to have been caught out a few times.

Hopefully they click soon.

Strewthcobber

Simon Poidevin (60)
A bit of damming with faint praise here from Schmidt at the roar?

“Harry’s been really good for us. He’s played well,” Schmidt said.

“He’s led well not because he says a lot. There’s a strong leadership group and it means that Harry doesn’t have to say too much. He doesn’t necessarily make a lot of the decisions on the field.

“He’s got his head down, working hard, so there’s guys inevitably in behind him that are making decisions on what’s happening.

“He makes the big decisions from static play but apart from that he’s just trying to decide how he’s going to get to the ball next and how he’s going to carry that one or tackle that one.

“His volume of work has been really positive.

It was pretty obvious at the ground on Saturday just how many of the decisions are now made by the coach via medic/drinks waiter.

The Ghost of Raelene

Simon Poidevin (60)
It going to take one of the players to get 10-15 Tests in a row of being the Captain before they grab it and know it's theirs. At the moment it's U9s stuff with how many we've had in a short space of time.

I'd be giving it to Fraser myself. Very durable and plays a lot of minutes. He also isn't under threat for his spot which is something that being a level of instability even though competition is good.

Yoda

Alex Ross (28)
So Ireland have gone to #1 (while not playing). It isn't irrelevant. You play games across a season where you play more games in one part of the year than the other. It's a global sport. It is irritating to see your team drop when you are not playing, but it is not irrelevant.

Right now though, Wallabies are just barely hanging on to the top 10. I don't think that is in anyway inaccurate, albeit I can imagine us working quickly to #7. Before we drop again.
Dru… taking the ratings a bit serious? We lost two Tests to the World Champions… not flogged. Came close to beating the All Blacks who were RWC Finalists. Beat the Argies in one game who beat the South Africans. We are not seriously as bad as all the doomsayers on here say. Ratings are for people with too much time on their hands.

Tomthumb

Desmond Connor (43)
A bit of damming with faint praise here from Schmidt at the roar?

It was pretty obvious at the ground on Saturday just how many of the decisions are now made by the coach via medic/drinks waiter.
There clearly isn't any painted on captain that is good enough to be picked every week, which is not a good thing

Hopefully Harry can grow into becoming the true leader that this team needs

Sword of Justice

Nev Cottrell (35)
I think Wilson has done well as captain leading from the front but I’d like to have seen him step up and tell White to stfu at that low point last test.

Realistically they are executing on a very, very set plan as is their job at the moment and he or Wright will have a chance to grow into the captaincy more over time.

Rugby Head

Billy Sheehan (19)
I think Wilson has done well as captain leading from the front but I’d like to have seen him step up and tell White to stfu at that low point last test.

Realistically they are executing on a very, very set plan as is their job at the moment and he or Wright will have a chance to grow into the captaincy more over time.
I think the best thing would be to not select White, that will stop his consistent yapping.

Tomthumb

Desmond Connor (43)
It can often be the way after a long standing captain like Hooper retires. The fact the next 2 best captaincy options aren't really good enough to play these days and the other best option is injured is unfortunate